• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PlayStation 4 Lineup Music Video Animation Allegedly Traces FLCL, Steven Universe, Others

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Just how delusional do you have to be to think that people won't notice something this egregious?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Most if not all of that is traced.

My goodness this Kevin Bao guy really thought that such obvious sequences wouldn't be recognizable?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Just how delusional do you have to be to think that people won't notice something this egregious?

Most of it is from Gobelins students. Probably assumed not a lot of people would follow student animation projects or independent films.

Also to be fair this happens a lot in real shows like Cannon Busters or Boondocks directly tracing anime fight scenes, but those people call it a 'homage' rather than plagiarism and nobody cares about those. Probably assumed it wasn't a big deal.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Just because Cannon Busters sucks doesn’t make this right. Come on, this was a public event. They had to expect this in the social media age.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
How do you know that they didn't just use it as reference footage?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The end of the article notes that some folks have noticed a similar thing with this artist's past works as well. That leads me to believe that he probably did this many times before, no one noticed or made a big deal about it. He then got tabbed to do a much bigger, more visible, project, and so he just repeated the process that he always used, expecting to get along the same as always. This was likely the first time he's actually been called out for this.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow... That is just... Wow
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Also to be fair this happens a lot in real shows like Cannon Busters or Boondocks directly tracing anime fight scenes, but those people call it a 'homage' rather than plagiarism and nobody cares about those. Probably assumed it wasn't a big deal.

I've never actually heard anyone accusing Boondocks of tracing fight scenes.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How do you know that they didn't just use it as reference footage?

If used as just reference there would be noticeable differences. Given how easily they line up exactly, it isn't just reference. And on top of that, its a major promo, not just someone messing around privately.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

If those fight scenes were traced from other sources, did Boondocks properly credit them?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Most of it is from Gobelins students. Probably assumed not a lot of people would follow student animation projects or independent films.

Yes, but he then went on to rip off one of the most iconic anime action sequences of all time, and a huge movie release from one of the most popular current Western animated series. I mean...people are going to pick up on that.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't think it was traced per se, but they definitely did copy some of their animation from Naruto.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpanishUnhappyCarp-mobile.mp4

Steven Universe does the same thing with Utena. Not sure if that's traced or just 'referenced'. It's still a bit funny though.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't think it was traced per se, but they definitely did copy some of their animation from Naruto.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpanishUnhappyCarp-mobile.mp4

Steven Universe does the same thing with Utena. Not sure if that's traced or just 'referenced'. It's still a bit funny though.

Naruto even copied Conan Lee films so it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Steven Universe pastiched Utena
https://imgur.com/gallery/Ky3dv
the whole show pastiches virtually every mahou shoujo-esque anime ever made. But at least they are unique and far from being traces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1