• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, maybe I've seen too much bad Alice in Wonderland and Amy Brown fanart...

It certainly explained the genesis of the sentiment to me Wink
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
From the Preview Guide wrote:
The newest reviews will always appear at the TOP of each show's page, so if you're wondering what's new, just click the show name and the latest preview will pop right up. Scroll down to see earlier previews. New shows will be added to the top of the Preview Guide hub page here.

Um, this is just old boilerplate text, right? I mean, this hasn’t been true for a long time, new shows/reviews appear at the end, these days. Or is my interface somehow different from the main? Just idle curiosity, I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
^ That means if a reviewer's take isn't available when a series comes online, it will be at the top of the 2 or 3 reviews already up for that series once it's submitted. The series titles themselves are top to bottom, first airing first. Like if Theron's review is up the first day, and Rebecca's the second, her review will be at the top of the list for that series when you click on the series title, so you don't have to scroll down past his to find hers.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope Bang Zoom! dubs the Magia Record anime.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
First episode of pet was confusing...

I’ll give it a couple more episodes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
I can safely say that I would love to see somebody get saddled with the Seton High review Wink.

And I never thought of striped knee-high socks as fetish wear, so the whole review section was terribly educational...

When I read the mnga I liked the futanari episode and the big wolf episode; everything else was pretty inconsequential, like a cute girls doing cute things show that somehow still has a guy in there, so it feels like an early 2ks show. and I feel like I am the biggest murenase fan there.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - Does the main character comes as autistic to me, does anyone else have that feeling or no?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if "Seton Hall" is a reference to Ernest Thompson Seton? He is the author of "Wild Animals I Have Know" and Animal Heroes" and other similar appropriate titles.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - Does the main character comes as autistic to me, does anyone else have that feeling or no?

While I do see where you were coming from, but until more evidences coming up, I may have to say “no”, there are many ways to describe Midori’s hyper, repetitive behaviors, besides categorize it as some sort of disorder
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

While I do see where you were coming from, but until more evidences coming up, I may have to say “no”, there are many ways to describe Midori’s hyper, repetitive behaviors, besides categorize it as some sort of disorder

I would prefer not to call it a disorder but a nurological difference. the way she is invested in her art, and the way her drawings are shown coming to life, and her sense of nativity just reminds me of people on the spectrum, and myself.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ That means if a reviewer's take isn't available when a series comes online, it will be at the top of the 2 or 3 reviews already up for that series once it's submitted. The series titles themselves are top to bottom, first airing first. Like if Theron's review is up the first day, and Rebecca's the second, her review will be at the top of the list for that series when you click on the series title, so you don't have to scroll down past his to find hers.

Except that’s not the case. Key was the first reviewer for Eizouken, Rebecca for ID, and Lynzee for Pet. When I pull up the guide, they’re all still at the top of the page for those shows rather than the newer reviews. That’s what I meant. And I was wondering if this is true for everyone, which would mean that Preview Guide text is out of date, or if it’s a coding error that only shows up for users of particular platforms. I guess it’s not really terribly important, but I did wonder . . .
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Except that’s not the case. Key was the first reviewer for Eizouken, Rebecca for ID, and Lynzee for Pet. When I pull up the guide, they’re all still at the top of the page for those shows rather than the newer reviews. That’s what I meant. And I was wondering if this is true for everyone, which would mean that Preview Guide text is out of date, or if it’s a coding error that only shows up for users of particular platforms. I guess it’s not really terribly important, but I did wonder . . .

I have the same issue as you do blameitonStarBlazers. The new reviews are at the end of the page, not first, as the Preview Guide text says. The examples you gave in your quote are holding true for me as well. It's not a major thing, but since you've brought it up, I am curious if it's a problem on my end or not... Eh, either way, it's not a huge deal. Like you, I'm just more wondering than anything.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, this probably could have benefited strongly from having a double-episode debut

'Thank' Amazon for that. Amazon JP did just that. Amazon International just doesn't care. They even aired the first episode late.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:07 am Reply with quote
Pet was really interesting! I think it was amazing, direction-wise, how something so confusing as this idea still felt so clear as a story to follow for the audience, even if we don't know much about the main characters yet.

Darwin's Game was also good enough to follow. I don't know if the standards at this type of stories have gotten low, but watchable seems like a good reason enough to keep up with it. The protagonist is understandably distressed but also has some spine in him, and Shuka was not as bad as I expected she would be.

I thought this would be an almost empty season but I'm glad this doesn't seem to be the case. Only two titles so far (Koisuru Asteroid and Seton Gakuen) seem dismissable. So far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
I actually disagree with what seems to be the consensus of Seton Academy. While I think the sort of sexual harassment stuff is not great, I think all the reviewers were looking at it wrongly in terms of setting. It is like the fact that all the teachers are dinosaurs, the setting is not entirely literal, it is supposed to be a little microcosm of the animal kingdom, such as the two humans being generic humans. This is why the first animal friend and to join their group is a wolf, it is the first domesticated animal, and supposed to be a representative of wolves being domesticated by humans, the wolf thinking in terms of a pack.

My assumption of the most likely animal to also join will be a cat, and rather than thinking as a pack perhaps will approach out of convenience, such as the theory that cats may have first hung around human settlements to go after vermin that would go after things like grains. There does seem there will be a cat, but the other three animals do seem a little random at first; koala, sloth and panda. Those three animals do share a trait as very slow animals, but I am also aware of a connection that koalas and pandas share, maybe sloths do too, the food that koalas and panda eat are actually really bad nutritionally (eucalyptus leaves and bamboo), so they might be fitting for a cooking club.

Maybe my sense of humour is off, but I did find the first episode actually funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18