• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yūsaku Shibata's Zipman!! Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote
I am quite sure that the manga first chapter stated. "Welcome to this two-volumes series". So it wasn't really a question on when it would end, but how.
Danny123100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I am quite sure that the manga first chapter stated. "Welcome to this two-volumes series". So it wasn't really a question on when it would end, but how.

It definitely didn't, at least not on any of the official translations I've read. I've seen A LOT of people mention that though, so if you happen to find that information could you direct me to it? I for the life of me can't find any inclination that this would be a 2 volume series, not only that, but WSJ would NOT want to have a series going if it wasn't going to be going for at least awhile just to have to replace it after 2 weeks. Literally all i've even seen in the first chapter is the beginning narration, "Our story started like this" and then the ending with no information about it anywhere being 2 volumes.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm wondering which WSJ manga will be axed after ZIPMAN!! in the few weeks? Could it be Mitama Security? Because I saw on Twitter that sales of new WSJ mangas Undead Unlock, Agravity Boys and Mission:Yozakura Family are fared better than Mitama's, which sales of vol. 2 is low and it could be axed -- despite that Mitama has 3 color pages like Yozakura's. I'll be disappointed if they axed Mitama.

Guardian of the Witch is my bet

I dunno anything about Undead Unluck/Agravity Boys/Yozakura Family's sales doing better than Mitama, although I have heard those three getting reprints while nothing for Mitama. So, Undead Unluck/Agravity Boys/Yozakura Family seem fairly safe, cause who the heck spends the money on a reprint for a soon to be dead series, right?
That said, Mitama seems to still have a decent reception from the Japanese side, based off twitter (small sample size alert!).

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23今週のベスト3%20%40yu_yu_16&src=typed_query&f=live
So, explanation: some Japanese people do tweet out their votes for top 3 chapters of the issue, hence the hashtag #今週のベスト3
User @yu_yu_16 compiles these votes at the end of each week into a bar graph for easy visualization. Seems like the sample size tends to vary from 110's to 160's, as far as I've noticed. It's not something I would take as an absolute ranking from the Japanese side, but I think that it's at least usable to reflect some general trends. Like 'hey, these seem to be very competitive/these seem to be doing alright/almost nobody's in love with this'. And it's still merely one tool to add on top of the usual ToC arguments and volume sales for those of us who like to play WSJ prognostication Wink
Oh, and orange should be #1 votes, yellow should be #2 votes, and green should be #3 votes.

For example, let's look at Guardian of the Witch for example. (魔女の守人)
After the first chapter, out of a pool of 100+ twitter users, almost nobody is putting that series in their top 3 of the week. Few if any hardcore fans strongly biased in favour of it and no stand out chapters impressing the more neutral readers past the decent first chapter that showed some potential.

On the other hand, look at Undead Unluck. (アンデッドアンラック)
Looking over the past month/month and a half, it's getting a pretty nice reception from this same pool of voters. And I don't disagree with them; this series kicked it up a notch with certain developments. And those same developments tell me that the author is writing as if he knows he's safe for the time being (conversely, Zipman was written as if the author knew he was getting the axe from very early on).

Mitama Security's ミタマセキュ霊ティ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2