• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Lift State of Emergency in 39 Prefectures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Having a tough time finding updated info, but does anyone know if this means international shipping will resume soon? Have an item that's been held up in Japan for a bit now.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Having a tough time finding updated info, but does anyone know if this means international shipping will resume soon? Have an item that's been held up in Japan for a bit now.

It might depend on where you're located. For example, Australia's not accepting any parcels from Japan, so it's not up to Japan. However, a friend of mine in Europe just got a shipping notification for her items that had been held up (international epacket, though EMS was also an option), so it seems to be hit-and-miss as to whether or not you'll get your package.

Some middleman services might also have shut down entirely until the mail is running again everywhere, just so they don't have to keep up with all the laws.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
Does this mean Nintendo can go back to their offices?
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Does this mean Nintendo can go back to their offices?

It says right in the article that Kyoto is one of the prefectures not lifting the state of emergency, so no.
Quote:
The remaining eight prefectures that will remain in a state of emergency are Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Hyogo, and Hokkaido.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

I can't help you with info on Japan specifically, but I know that international shipping in general is extremely slow right now, has been for at least a month an a half, and probably will be for months to come. I have inbound packages to the US from Canada, Russia, Denmark, and Australia...all of which have delays exceeding one month (at least) so far. None of those countries have formally "shut down" their mail delivery to the US and I can see the packages moving through the system with tracking, rather things are just really backed up and slow. With the lack of people traveling the number of international flights has been drastically cut, and that means far less cargo space. I'd expect major delays. A month at least, probably two, maybe more, added to the normal delivery time.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Darn, that's not looking good then :/ Hopefully it's no more than another month.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
For example, Australia's not accepting any parcels from Japan, so it's not up to Japan.

It's more that Japan Post suspended services to many countries, Australia is accepting inbound mail although there have been significant delays in mail getting to its destination in Australia.

To/from Australia details:
https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-updates#international

From Japan details:
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/index_en.html
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_01_01_en.pdf
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
My wife recently bought a doll from a dealer in Japan. It was shipped DHL and arrived in about a week.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My wife recently bought a doll from a dealer in Japan. It was shipped DHL and arrived in about a week.

Private couriers like DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc, aren't affected nearly as badly with the COVID shutdown as they own their own fleets of cargo aircraft and they aren't subject to government closures either. If you need to buy anything these days they are a far faster choice than dealing with the postal service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1