• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Everything You Want to Know About Tower of God (But Were Too Afraid to Ask)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow.....wow....just.... wow....

So you are telling me I am missing this much of background information/basic setting, lores and context; by being an anime-only? No wonder some parts of the anime adaptation felt jarring and unexplained. I understand a competent adaptation does not mean straight, panel to panel adaptation; some cuts are expected and necessary, but this is getting ridiculous.

Thank you for the article
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Wow.....wow....just.... wow....

So you are telling me I am missing this much of background information/basic setting, lores and context; by being an anime-only? No wonder some parts of the anime adaptation felt jarring and unexplained. I understand a competent adaptation does not mean straight, panel to panel adaptation; some cuts are expected and necessary, but this is getting ridiculous.

Thank you for the article

Nah, at the point the anime goes up to, most of this stuff hasn't been explicitly explained in the corresponding comic chapters either. A lot of it you gradually learn over time.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The question I hope to hear answered is if the "year" in the tower consists of 13 months. If not, what is the significance of the 13 month series of weapons? Also, since rankers are supposed to have reached the top, does anyone have any idea what is up there and why they don't have "everything in the world" as promised? For a fun aside, why would one make a weapon that only responds to the wishes of "handsome men" to someone guaranteed not to be a man? Are there male "princesses" we haven't heard about? Shocked Please feel free to respond with spoiler tagged answers, you won't "spoil" me. Inquiring minds want to know these things...
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I started reading the manwha, and while I feel like the anime cut out stuff that helped it make more sense, that honestly the manwha is still confusing. Though I'm also not done yet, so maybe I'll change my mind? The funniest part so far of it being confusing for me personally is that spoiler[in the second to last episode, none of the people watching in my house understood that Rachel was supposed to be attempting to murder Baam. We thought she was just trying to make him lose the test by last minute dumping him out of the bubble thing. But no, somehow her action was supposed to look deadly, despite all the other times Baam's been in the shinsoo water? And it happens pretty much the same way in both the manwha and the anime, so it's not really an anime only problem, though at least with the manwha, you don't spend a whole week being like, oh, haha, Rachel really sabotaged Baam's chances of passing the test, that rascal... Only to discover it was supposed to be murder, which is WAY more extreme, obviously.]

This explanation doesn't explain yet another point of confusion for me either. Which is that spoiler[as revealed in the last episode, Rachel believed herself to be chosen to climb the tower, but really it seems Baam was the one being chosen. If irregulars are from outside the tower and not chosen to climb, but get in by some other means, what does it make Baam that he was chosen? If Rachel is an irregular, why would she assume she was chosen if she's also an irregular (which she is, according to the author)? For that matter, what if a resident of the tower started climbing without being chosen? What would that make them? ] I feel like making "regular" mean two things 1. They are a resident of the tower 2. They were chosen to climb the tower, is accidentally being contradicted, unless there's something else later that explains it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
It amuses me to no end that when I read the Princess of Jahad rules, my mind immediately went "oh, cool, so they should just all be lesbians". Like, those rules are clearly constructed with the idea that love, children, and marriage are at the forefront of a woman's mind, but conveniently skips over orientations that would rule out at least two of those issues (especially since the rules only specify relationships with men are prohibited). Laughing Nothing against the series, it's just something that kind of dates it.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The question I hope to hear answered is if the "year" in the tower consists of 13 months. If not, what is the significance of the 13 month series of weapons? Also, since rankers are supposed to have reached the top, does anyone have any idea what is up there and why they don't have "everything in the world" as promised? For a fun aside, why would one make a weapon that only responds to the wishes of "handsome men" to someone guaranteed not to be a man? Are there male "princesses" we haven't heard about? Shocked Please feel free to respond with spoiler tagged answers, you won't "spoil" me. Inquiring minds want to know these things...

I'm not up to date on the most recent chapters so what I say might be outdated but from what I remember spoiler[The '13th' month in the series isn't an ignition weapon like the previous ones but is actually an inventory that hasn't been given to a princess so no one knows what its does. So far all the princesses have been female but black march is... sorta difficult? It seems that while the weapons were given souls and a personality they were something the weapons developed themselves so black march's preference seems to be a personal one.]

whiskeyii wrote:
It amuses me to no end that when I read the Princess of Jahad rules, my mind immediately went "oh, cool, so they should just all be lesbians". Like, those rules are clearly constructed with the idea that love, children, and marriage are at the forefront of a woman's mind, but conveniently skips over orientations that would rule out at least two of those issues (especially since the rules only specify relationships with men are prohibited). Laughing Nothing against the series, it's just something that kind of dates it.

Pretty sure the rules of Jahad are there solely to prevent the princesses from passing on their power given to them by Jahad to a child. Like what happened with Anak Jr. If a princess was really, really secretive she could have a child and another one and then have that child breed with other warriors and within a thousand or so years have an army of descendants. Presumably, every descendant with blood from the first princess would have base abilities far beyond a regular. The whole rules were likely just there to provide just cause to execute or punish any princesses who might try something like this. No sperm no kids. Unless FGO's Merlin pops in and starts granting princesses (fully functioning)dicks. That would be Jahad's worst nightmare.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I suppose you haven't heard of the practice of gay "couples" (lesbian especially) adopting kids to have children and a "family"? It would seem to me that "having children", like being loved, are desires that aren't inherently extinguished by being gay and are very much at the forefront of people's minds. Maybe you just mean the "intercourse with a man" part (?)...

@Calsolum Thank you so much!

Now, if someone has an idea on why rankers don't get "everything in the world" from getting to the top.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
^ Manhwa spoilers about the Tower:

spoiler[It's because no one is known to have made it to the top of the tower. No one is even sure where it is, except maybe the King. Jahad, for some reason, stopped climbing the tower at the 134th floor and blocked anyone from ascending beyond that. Thus, the 134th floor is considered "the top" when it is really only "as high as you can go".]

I'll also point out that the Floor Guardians are *not*, unlike the Great Houses, part of King Jahad's Empire. They were around before Jahad's group started to climb. I'm pretty sure that Headon isn't a subject of Jahad, either, though he (seemingly) doesn't oppose Jahad's rulership. He's the Caretaker of the Tower, and I'm willing to bet that *he* knows what is at the top of the Tower.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I started reading the manwha, and while I feel like the anime cut out stuff that helped it make more sense, that honestly the manwha is still confusing. Though I'm also not done yet, so maybe I'll change my mind? The funniest part so far of it being confusing for me personally is that spoiler[in the second to last episode, none of the people watching in my house understood that Rachel was supposed to be attempting to murder Baam. We thought she was just trying to make him lose the test by last minute dumping him out of the bubble thing. But no, somehow her action was supposed to look deadly, despite all the other times Baam's been in the shinsoo water? And it happens pretty much the same way in both the manwha and the anime, so it's not really an anime only problem, though at least with the manwha, you don't spend a whole week being like, oh, haha, Rachel really sabotaged Baam's chances of passing the test, that rascal... Only to discover it was supposed to be murder, which is WAY more extreme, obviously.]

This explanation doesn't explain yet another point of confusion for me either. Which is that spoiler[as revealed in the last episode, Rachel believed herself to be chosen to climb the tower, but really it seems Baam was the one being chosen. If irregulars are from outside the tower and not chosen to climb, but get in by some other means, what does it make Baam that he was chosen? If Rachel is an irregular, why would she assume she was chosen if she's also an irregular (which she is, according to the author)? For that matter, what if a resident of the tower started climbing without being chosen? What would that make them? ] I feel like making "regular" mean two things 1. They are a resident of the tower 2. They were chosen to climb the tower, is accidentally being contradicted, unless there's something else later that explains it.
spoiler[The door opening up was for Baam, but Rachel took his spot, making her an Irregular. Baam forced his way in afterward, making him an Irregular as well.]
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
meruru wrote:

spoiler[The door opening up was for Baam, but Rachel took his spot, making her an Irregular. Baam forced his way in afterward, making him an Irregular as well.]

I thought maybe that was the case, but it still doesn't fully explain what I was wondering, which is, spoiler[why Baam was chosen in the first place, since he was already an irregular since he was from outside the tower, and by my understanding, irregulars aren't chosen, only residents are. In other words, if he was chosen, and then actually went in like he was supposed to, would he then become a regular even though he was from outside the tower?]
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Just a few points.

Like someone else pointed out the tower currently has no known top and diu has pretty much hinted 135 is not the finally floor. So no the tower doesn't have 135 floors , it has at least 135.

From what I recall all tankers are ageless. Ie just like jahad and his group for making it to the top you stop aging as a perk. Outside of that most of characters we have seen that are really old but not tankers come from the families so I guess that plays into. But I think the avg lies pan otherwise is normal . I would think of the tenchI verse where top tier characters can be ageless but the general pop has only minimumly longer lif spans than regular humans.

And lastly no the jahad rules are not there to secretly create lesbians. Other than not passing on the power it's actually implied quite opposite that the princess who gets all the swords will become jahads wife. So there goes your theory.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Please correct the part about the weapons...
The 13 month are strong weapons without a doubt (especially for regulars that just start out, at the start even a weak ignition weapon is rare and super powerful), BUT they are not the strongest weapons in the tower by far. In fact only one out of the 13 weapons is considered S rank. The value of the 13 months is more for their other uses (spell breaking) and the symbolic power, plus they have another hidden meaning I won't spoil, but it is not their power.
Every princess that got one of the 13 month has multiple weapons, at the point that she is awarded a 13 month, that are stronger.

Consider the 13 month like the Queen, some very specific powers, but the real point is symbolic in nature.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
^ Thank you guys! @Tuor_of_Gondolin thanks very much for that! I find details like these interesting and they add to the enjoyment of the unfolding story without revealing anything of great importance to upcoming developments so I don't think of them as "spoilers". However, I also try to be sensitive to those who do...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I thought maybe that was the case, but it still doesn't fully explain what I was wondering, which is, spoiler[why Baam was chosen in the first place, since he was already an irregular since he was from outside the tower, and by my understanding, irregulars aren't chosen, only residents are. In other words, if he was chosen, and then actually went in like he was supposed to, would he then become a regular even though he was from outside the tower?]

spoiler[Baam's the kid of a major revolutionary in the Tower, and was sent outside of the Tower under Rachel's care for his protection. So he was a Regular from the start until Rachel took his spot.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
^ That's both partially wrong and a major spoiler from the web novel. More spoilers on the same topic follow:

spoiler[Baam was not placed under Rachel's care. Also, Baam *is* an Irregular. He entered the Tower using his own power and was not chosen by Headon, only accepted by him. Furthermore, there is some question as to what Baam actually is due to what happened to him as a baby.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1