• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone: Stone Wars

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit, it took me a second to remember that Homura's surname is Momiji, so I was like "Wait, what?" reading through this review. But I realized pretty quick that was it. Anime hyper

In relation to the note about Senku and Gen and neither of them being able to take a life... I love that they also clarified this with Kohaku during the chase. For all of the threats she had made to kill others - including Gen on a couple of occasions - she is also very much unable to do such a thing. Her discussion with Senku with confirmation that she knows she would hesitate and needs to will herself into doing such a thing was a powerful scene to me. She loves her village and would do anything she can to protect them, but to kill is a step that she isn't sure she can take, and I think it came as a relief to her that Senku will make sure that she won't have to face such a decision. I really loved seeing that side of her character come through.

... Also, Suika is the cutest damn look-out ever. I will forever love everything my melon daughter does, however. <3
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
From context it's easy to tell the reviewer means Momiji = Homura, but I was also thrown off as I don't remember Homura being introduced with her surname at any point during season 1 of the anime nor in these first two episodes.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
I'm ready for more "Heck yeah, science!" moments and to spend more time with Chrome, aka my yabe son :P

One thing I really liked about the latest episode was the goofy character animation and sound effects when Gen and co. were infiltrating Tsukasa's empire. I love when Dr. Stone gets all silly for its comedic scenes.

Homura's acrobatics were also nicely done. I'm pretty sure it won't take long for the animation quality to take a dive, but I'll enjoy these little bits of sakuga while they last.

ED is cool. OP is kind of a let-down compared to the two previous ones.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hi Y'all! Back for a second helping of Dr Stone...Loved seeing Gen and Magma give a visual lesson on how morality should influence behavior and the potential consequences of "realism" being a cover for "ends justify the means". While it seemed like they pulled the black-light and photo-flash bulbs from the air, I like that this season the focus is more how "weapons of science" are used for a purpose rather than how they come to be...

Ep3- Science is about truth and I'm so glad that one of the "enemy" is willing to value that spoiler[instead of embracing a comforting lie]...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy with how this episode turned out. Seeing Gen's transformation into Lillian was both unsettling and comical from the get-go, although it became more enjoyable in this episode. I also love Taiju's unwavering loyalty and trust in Senku, something that Kohaku also appreciates. spoiler[I can't wait for the reunited scene down the line to be animated]. Nikki's transformation from Tsukasa loyalist to a mole for the Kingdom of Science was lovely to actually see animated, and her emotions hit hard with me too, as someone else that found salvation in music.

The comment about the jumps with the time frames also gets to me too. Especially when Senku makes a comment in this very episode that it would take Gen a day to get back. spoiler[This is also something that will be commented on later on with the Age of Exploration arc with a much bigger time discrepancy, but yet it seemed as though only hours may have passed]. Time seems to play slightly fast and loose in this series at times, I think.
Farafra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
So is this coming to Funimation or not?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Farafra wrote:
So is this coming to Funimation or not?

It is, but aside from the rare exception like Attack on Titan Final Season (currently at a consistent pace of 4 weeks behind, which is pretty good considering most shows take more than one week between releases), most of their dubs seem to take at least half a season to start. Ever since they organized dubbing from home, at least.

Maybe they'll be able to return to weekly releases two weeks or less behind for most shows, but that will probably take a year (both for it to be safe to work in person again, and to clear out their backlog).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Agreeing, again, that the time frames aren't entirely adding up and it is a bit distracting. I think it's going to be a bit more confusing in the coming episodes, after going back to reading some of the manga. spoiler[Because I definitely recall seeing the characters in their non-winter clothes now that they're starting on the Steam Gorilla (using the next episode's name), and I definitely don't think it would take them half a month to rescue Chrome, given Kohaku pretty much nailing on the head that they need to speed up because of his big mouth. Which everyone's faces as they realized this was hilarious of hell.] But overall, yes, I LOVE this episode because of how much time we spent with Chrome and seeing how much he's developed over the course of the series so far. And Ukyo is already a favorite of mine based off the manga, but I'm loving seeing his introduction being animated.

Favorite parts of this episode are the Industrial Revolution scene - namely because the fanart for this scene has been AMAZING, plus the inspiration for AU fandom works in general based off of this - and, like what was noted in the random thoughts, Senku's casual walk to the observatory to get Kohaku to stop from running off. Honestly, I think it's been proven that Senku is the only one that could really get her to stop from doing something completely reckless. Ruri, Suika, and Kokuyo certainly try, but largely Senku has been the one to be her voice of reason. Even if he has to insult her to do so, like what he did this time.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Chrome did something I was not expecting, so holy crap that's some commitment to "science."

I ship Chrome and Senku so bad its not even funny.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Tsukasa figuring out the steam powered vehicle warfare has to be the dumbest thing in this entire "let's learn about stuff" show. That single point makes this the worst episode of the show so far for me. That's saying something, considering you have to accept the idea of a magical healing petrification light to start off with.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The "anti-tank" traps would also work on people if the coverings aren't too sturdy. So to me the part that was odd was that Chrome was surprised when one of his captors blundered into one and revealed what was hidden below.

When did they do all this - in the middle of the night while Chrome was fast asleep? He would've been watching their activities like a hawk as long as he could keep his eyes open, and known full well what they were doing.

Anyway, he'll escape next week, so it's probably all moot.

As for Team Science's RV, all I could think of was they were demonstrating Tsukasa's main beefs with a technological world - pollution and using science for war - in one noisy, compact package.

I know Tsukasa's got all the muscleheads on his team, but how the heck did they build that stone lattice dome? That is not a natural formation. Did they dig the granite out from under it? They're freakishly strong, but c'mon. The Pyramids and Stonehenge got nothin' on that structure.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for Team Science's RV, all I could think of was they were demonstrating Tsukasa's main beefs with a technological world - pollution and using science for war - in one noisy, compact package.

But he is the one who created this situation. If he wasn't trying to destroy science and kill Senku, then Senku would have dedicated to make useful, everyday stuff like medicine, heat sources or food preservation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Sooner or later he would've invented a polluting car, and Senku isn't going to live forever. Eventually, science will be used for war. It always is.

Tsukasa isn't wrong about the destructive side of technology. He's only kidding himself that it won't happen anyway. Chrome (and all of history) is proof.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
I was willing to excuse the ridiculous timeframes of previous episodes but at this point the story isn't trying to make any sense, is it?
They seem to have built that entire thing in like an afternoon (imagine if they made pull carts instead! And it's kind of amazing they don't have beasts of burden) and immediatly put it to use. But then, as they're hiding a short distance from Tsukasa's domain, they go gather hebs en-masse, use a humongous extension of land to dry the paper and then build A SECOND STEAM ENGINE despite not having the materials, toold and facilities necessary. All of that without getting spotted!
I'm also not too certain of the size of Senku's army, as the non-important villagers keep appearing and disappearing. One scene there are dozens of them, next scene it's just the main cast plus a couple more pushing the cart.

As for the elderly, I wouldn't be too worried (but Senku should) as Tsukasa doens't have any reason to butcher them. It's not like he kills indiscriminately and he has nothing to fear of the wrinkly gnomes, at most they worst be taken hostage.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sooner or later he would've invented a polluting car, and Senku isn't going to live forever. Eventually, science will be used for war. It always is.

Tsukasa isn't wrong about the destructive side of technology. He's only kidding himself that it won't happen anyway. Chrome (and all of history) is proof.

If anything HE is more proof as he's willing to use the technology he already has to kill.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
If anything HE is more proof as he's willing to use the technology he already has to kill.

Tsukasa's never said he was against killing (and he does indiscriminately kill helpless people if they're obviously adults). But IOKIYT (It's OK if you're Tsukasa). I'm just saying Senku's actions aren't proving him wrong about the ruin that bringing back everyone will cause, and if he's looking for a bloodless win or to convince Tsukasa science is good, driving up on him rolling coal isn't helping. Of course, I'm not sure he could be convinced in any case.

Btw, I don't think he'd kill the Senku Village elders because he knows they're not from the old world, making them harmless.

I didn't go back to look, but I think they just remodeled the RV and turned it into a tank, rather than building a second steam engine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4