• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earl.m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
eh more revenge plot like shield

Huh? Shield was not a revenge plot. Instead, choosing compassion, forgiveness and justice over revenge is the primary theme of Shield Hero. You didn't see it that much in the first cour but expect the next 2 to delve into it more. But even in the first cour, you had the pivotal moment when Naofumi had to abandon any notion of revenge in order to win a life-or-death battle against a corrupt priest who was one of the main entities that Naofumi would have been very justifiable in seeking revenge against. Not only that but said priest's crimes against his own innocent followers would have even allowed him to rationalize it internally with a false and self-serving "this isn't all about my revenge anymore because I am clearly bringing a bad guy to justice!" If the themes examined in that fight doesn't convince the viewer that Shield Hero is a total rejection of - say - a 1980s Schwarzennegar/Stallone/Gibson etc. revenge action self insert fantasy then the issues belong entirely to the viewer.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So there is romance?
Technically. spoiler[The poster girls fall for the MC but he's too busy going "woe is me I'm just a mob I can't wreck the game story" to reciprocate. From what I hear of the WN, he gets over that near the end of the story.]
earl.m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:
What the hell happened to the character designs?

I believe ANN had an article a few weeks back where Kadokawa's plan is to crank out anime adaptations of their light novels as quickly and cheaply as possible, with isekai titles aimed at young males the primary focus (because that is where the money is right now). So the character designs are going to have to be whatever allows Kadokawa to animate as many titles as possible and as quickly as possible while retaining the "at a glance" appeal to as wide of their target audience as possible.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
On first glance the series will probably come across and be seen as sexist or misogynistic. It's about a man who doesn't want to be dominated by women, he wants to dominate them instead! But that really is only at first glance. I can't deny that those elements are there in the beginning, largely due to the MC's previous life experience where he was arguably controlled by his sister.

As the story actually progresses though it becomes clear that he isn't a woman-hater or sexist. He may be a 'mob' in this world but he doesn't want to be treated like one, so it is the aristocratic society that he lives in that he really hates. He doesn't want to be caught in the plot of the game, he just wants to live as himself. With the exception of the 'antagonist' (and it is a bit of a stretch to call her that) and his immediate family, the named girls are actually treated fairly instead of being pathetic and mean and villainous; and even the antagonist has an (I thought) rather sweet connection in the end. This is especially true of Olivia and Ange who have some rather great character development of their own.

I have no doubt the first couple episodes will get lambasted (including in the preview guide), but this really is not a sexist or anti-feminist work. Appearances are deceiving and the surface (first episodes) are only skin-deep. That's not to say it is brilliant or thought-provoking or genre-changing or any other superlatives, but it is not what it may come across as in the beginning.

I'm looking forward to the tea scenes.

andramus wrote:
Apparently the sister liked the romance story but hated the RPG elements so fobbed the game off on her brother to get through the RPG parts.

Yes, she only wanted to watch all the cutscenes when the game was 100% completed.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The female domination over men is kinda interesting but I can't shake the feeling this might disappoint me and that Leon guy I don't like him, he came off to me as a annoying prick.... Hopefully I'm wrong Confused
earl.m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's with the ridiculous tailoring of the jackets? Those are school uniforms? When did Japanese manga artists become so breast obsessed? There is a line that impressed me from Ursula K. LeGuin's The Dispossessed: "Were all Urasti cabinet makers celibate?"

The "Japanese manga artists" are "breast-obsessed" and "celibate"? No. Quite the contrary, the shounen manga industry includes TONS of married cishet female artists. The shounen manga target audience on the other hand absolutely is. So this cohort's "fantasy girlfriend" has:
A. the mind of a preteen girl,
B. the face of a 12-16 year old girl,
C. the body of a 21-25 year old topless pinup magazine model
and they can't get enough of manga, light novels and anime that gives it to them. Which is why said married cishet female manga artist output includes the likes of Servant x Service, Joshi Kōsei, The Elder Sister-Like One and My Bride Is the Class President.

Why does the shounen audience have such tastes? Because they are kids! By definition physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially immature. They aren't going to want the same things from their entertainment that 35 year old men who have mature bodies and minds (including but not limited to having experienced meaningful relationships - romantic and platonic - with adult women) are supposed to want nor should they.

As for Ursula LeGuin, her themes - proto third wave feminism - and target audience - adult feminists - are the polar opposite of those of shounen anime and manga, as they should be. But consider that a recent article by a third waver in The Atlantic admitted that third waver opinions on cishet male desire range from dismissive to hostile. So "the Japanese manga industry" can either give the shonen audience what it wants and is (according to pretty much every psychologist, psychiatrist, educator that is not a third waver) 100% normal and healthy and have a financially strong shonen manga industry as a result. Or it can adopt the third waver stance that cishet preteen and teen boys either have the same hatred/disgust/fear of their maturing attraction for females that third wavers themselves do and if they don't then society should condition them to and experience total financial collapse as a result.

For the record it isn't just "Japanese manga artists" either. If you look at the American comics industry back when it was financially healthy: chock full of female characters with slender waists connecting massive racks and big hips along with "impractical outfits" to exhibit them. Now that the American comics industry has hired a bunch of LeGuin-influenced who are producing "I Am Not Starfire", it is incapable of producing a title that so much as sells 200,000 units. By contrast 20+ year old One Piece sold nearly 8 million units last year, including far more bought by American comic book readers than any American comic sold.

Where "I Am Not Starfire" was produced by western comic writers and illustrators of Japanese heritage, it would have never been published by the manga industry. The reason: the Japanese manga industry isn't into producing titles that will inevitably not find an audience and therefore financially fail just to demonstrate their fidelity to correct politics. Which by the way are 100% western - as was Le Guin - and not created by or reflective of anything Japanese in the first place.
theilikepie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Its funny cause the people we are meant to hate become likable later on as the main cast gets more and more shitty. Dosent help that the main girls are all but replaced while leon becomes a genric harem protag going "oemgee how can dez girls like plain old me". And collecting women like pokemon due to his outstanding passive personality. Rinse and repeat

Its like the editor told the author to jump in on the otome bandwagon so his genric isekai harem novel could succeed. And It worked

Shame cause his previous works deserved more of an adaption then this one. One of the reasons I'm starting to detest the otome isekai genre in general. Every good author is cancelling ther previous works to pump put another novel that's 99 percent similar to other's
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
So from what I gathered from the forum is that I'll actually probably have negative interest in this, a shame since I was hoping this would be a shoujo otome isekai instead of just another male targeted one.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:29 am Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
For the record it isn't just "Japanese manga artists" either. If you look at the American comics industry back when it was financially healthy: chock full of female characters with slender waists connecting massive racks and big hips along with "impractical outfits" to exhibit them. Now that the American comics industry has hired a bunch of LeGuin-influenced who are producing "I Am Not Starfire", it is incapable of producing a title that so much as sells 200,000 units.

The problem with comic books not being able to sell 200,000 units doesn't generally have anything to do with Artist & Writers who know that female characters can be more than just distracting fanservice. Secondly if this were the case She Hulk would have a book that's as long and popular as Spider-Man's books have been instead of having multiple books in her history that have been cancelled given how popular the character's appearance/design is amongst comic fans.

earl.m wrote:
By contrast 20+ year old One Piece sold nearly 8 million units last year, including far more bought by American comic book readers than any American comic sold.

All that and manga and anime is still pretty niche in the U.S.

earl.m wrote:
Where "I Am Not Starfire" was produced by western comic writers and illustrators of Japanese heritage, it would have never been published by the manga industry. The reason: the Japanese manga industry isn't into producing titles that will inevitably not find an audience

If this were actually true they're be a lot less complaining about Shonen Jump cancelling titles. You can write a book for a specific audience even at the behest of your publisher that doesn't mean that presumed audience will go and read your book nor that your book will have a long shelf life.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
@ earl.m,

You've taken this thread off-topic. That's enough for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3