• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Ghost of Digimon Future

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
After getting burned out on Adventure 2020 to the point I'd consider it one of my most hated anime watching experiences, Ghost Game really has been a breath of fresh air. It's been pretty episodic so far and there's ways the chance it could end up going nowhere but the characters and their individual dynamics with their Digimon partners has been pretty good, and most of all the show just feels fun in a way that a lot of the other modern Digimon anime entries weren't. Dunno how this'll end up fairing against the original Digimon Adventure or Tamers, but I do feel pretty optimistic about it so hopefully it delivers whenever the actual plot starts getting in full gear.

Also hoping Toei decides to dub it, but that's probably a tall order, especially given they don't seem to have added in a lot of safety nets for international broadcasters, content wise
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
Tri is pretty consistently criticized among the fandom and Adventure 2020 is only really good for the "cool factor" and some animated scenes, but I haven't heard anyone trash Kizuna/Last Evolution yet. Like, there's definitely some slight frustration that Taichi and Yamato are the sole focus again, but it's still done well. You don't need to watch Tri to understand it, either, so that's another plus.

Anyway, I genuinely want a Digimon series that is more than just decent again. I dropped Ghost Game this week, not because I think it's bad, but because it's a big investment for something that doesn't feel exceptionally good. I gave it a pretty long shot and it just isn't working for me.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
Like the poster above I think my biggest worry is that this is just going to wind up being super average again like Savers or something.

Thing is, I actually like the base set ups for the cast so far as well as the premise and tone, but not only does it already feel like some characters are utilized better than others, I also just don't think too many of the more episodic plots have really ended all that well, especially the last two episodes. Like Mummymon's was funny and Pumpmon was so-so, I just get annoyed anytime the characters befriend someone who was trying to kill with no problems them in media, but episode 6 had a conclusion that, while funny felt really hollow and 7 just ended really awkwardly. These are problems that, even if the show does kick in to it's inevitable plot arc, I worry they're still going to carry over even into that (not to mention how inconsistent the whole "hologram ghosts can't touch people" rule has been)

Personally I think once we start getting the episodes that are more focused on the characters specifically rather than a unrelated spookfest, I'll probably like it more, rather than simply the plot starting. We could get a plot but still leaves our cast in the same place they were before without saying anything interesting about them or anything. It's the thig I really come to digimon for. I think the scariest thing I've ever heard anyone say about ghost game is that "this is more or less the same writing quality as adventure 2020, but because it's character based it's more amusing." and the longer I've thought about that, how the show has been so far in addition to the staff being the same, it took away a huge chunk of my confidence in the show long term. Again, the show hasn't even been bad I mostly enjoyed the 1st two eps for what they were, Episode 5 was all around amazing and Episode 3's first half was genuinely unsettling (in a good way). I just really don't want to run into the same thing I did with 2020, where I stuck around with it for 25 episodes, naively thinking "Oh, surely we're going to get into some meaningful character stuff after this action beat ends." and getting so burned by it after realizing how much time I wasted with it.

I'm probably just going to let some episodes fly by and check in again at a later date to see how the show is doing, that seems like the best bet.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Tri is pretty consistently criticized among the fandom and Adventure 2020 is only really good for the "cool factor" and some animated scenes, but I haven't heard anyone trash Kizuna/Last Evolution yet. Like, there's definitely some slight frustration that Taichi and Yamato are the sole focus again, but it's still done well. You don't need to watch Tri to understand it, either, so that's another plus.

Anyway, I genuinely want a Digimon series that is more than just decent again. I dropped Ghost Game this week, not because I think it's bad, but because it's a big investment for something that doesn't feel exceptionally good. I gave it a pretty long shot and it just isn't working for me.

Actually I have seen lotta trashing on Kizuna, primarily on how nonsensical and hypocritical the whole "nostalgia" theme is as well as treatment of certain characters, predominantly Sora.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
You have convinced me, front page article. I will watch Ghost Game. Sometime in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1