• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Court Hands Suspended Sentence to ufotable Founder Hikaru Kondo for Tax Evasion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:33 am Reply with quote
Did not know Japanese courts were similar to European ones when the topic is rich people evading tax. What total shambles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
It is easy to bash rich people.

But it wasn't a crime of violence. There is also a lot of other factors that go into sentencing. For one, the court seems to think that this wasn't an attempt for personal gain.

Not saying you are wrong, I still think Wells Fargo got off easy (somebody should have gone to jail). But in this case I can see why they went easy on Kondo.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:32 am Reply with quote
As expected. Exact same sentence as Mamare Touno to the very word (good behavior part as well), just longer because he did more than Touno did.

My comment from the last news on this back in November:

Quote:
This was expected. Kondo did way more than what Mamare Touno (Maoyuu, Log Horizon; Also tax evasion) did. The question was always how much longer would his sentence be. Touno got a sentence of ten months in prison, on a three-year suspension.

Quote:
Touno allegedly failed to file 120 million yen (around US$996,438) in royalties from the printed versions of his MAOYU and Log Horizon novels for his income tax report in a three-year period ending last year. According to the prosecutor's office, Touno owes the Japanese government 30 million yen (around US$249,114) in taxes.
cchigu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wtf, the guy got off free. The Japanese justice system man. Wow.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
Wtf, the guy got off free. The Japanese justice system man. Wow.

Should have gotten 50 years in jail amirite? /s
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:02 am Reply with quote
He was probably cooking the books to keep the company afloat, not so much to line his pockets I guess.
Alcest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Good to see he got a slap on the wrist.
Silencok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
I also didn't know that the Japanese instances are similar to the European ones. I'm disappointed, too. It makes me feel horrible when rich people avoid taxes in so many countries. This is simply disgusting. We, being classified in the category of poor people working for the state, have to pay taxes so high that it is impossible to make a living from this money and still save money to buy a new house or a car. What annoys me about all the jobs I've worked at is that it doesn't give me a paystub check to see how much I pay in taxes. That's why I found a site where I can make a pay stub, and I was shocked at how much I pay for taxes. Ugly to feel discrimination between rich people and the less rich.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1