• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Bubble a Flop?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichi256

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually really love this movie "Bubble". It reminds me of watching Penguin Highway for learning about the world around us and strange phenomenon that are hard or mysterious to solve beyond anything we can imagine. And also Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress for Mumei's Parkour fighting skills as though the illustration and animation gives a vibe of freedom.and art to the eyes of the audience to believe they're doing it.

I would definitely watch this and congratulate Wit Studios and the crrator.of this film for creating an influential and beautiful masterpiece.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
1. No background on the characters as parkour athletes in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo. Absolutely none. This is painfully obvious where Hibiki is concerned. He's a Bubble-fall orphan who suddenly decides to live in the ruins and become a parkour expert? No one felt that needed fleshing out?

2. No one seems to care about who Uta is or where she came from. No one asks any probing questions or her or each other. Hey, some weird chick out of nowhere No one has ever seen before in a very closed, low population society saves Hibiki. Moving on!
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I watched it the other night and I liked it. Can’t have half of a 100 minute movie basically being an info dump for perspective, I like leaving some things out especially considering it was supposed to be an unknown where she is concerned. If this was a mini series or something you’d have plenty of time for all that. As far as I’m concerned it did a good job for what the aim of the film was.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoy this movie more than I thought I would! It had just enough likable characters to care about what was going on, and the action as well as the graphics pretty solid!

I really like the action scenes with the spoiler[ older guy with Prosthetic leg ] toward the end!

I didn't need 45 minutes info dump to enjoy this movie.

I would give it a solid B.

I wish they would follow the same setup as they did with "The Orbital Children"(six episodes)!
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am Reply with quote
In both good and bad ways, this feels like a bunch of people who didn't like Makoto Shinkai movies decided to make one themselves because of how much money it could make. Without buying into the idiosyncrasies and weird navel-gazing that make Shinkai's bad movies bad, sure, but also without the sort of character work or creativity that make his good movies work.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this film today, and boy I have to say that this film very, very much resembles Eureka Seven.

1. Fictional extreme sport.
2. Budding romance between average boy and not so average girl
3. Not so average girl is made of substance usually associated with water. spoiler[In E7's case, coral.]
4. Apocalyptic event was caused by sentient substance associated with water.

That's not to say I hated it. I loved this film, the music, acting, animation, art direction, the Little Mermaid analogy and romance between the two leads were on point. I would have liked a more cohesive story.
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I really think the film would have done so much better if it had a theatrical release instead of being released on Netflix. The visual spectacle alone would have been worth the price of admission.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1