• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Screens Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Film in U.S. in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
and this is why i held off watching it. still waiting for 4.44 or whatever title that gets. .01 was always the DVD release, with .11 being the BD release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
No English dub screenings?
el_morris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Here in México the release is next week, September 29th to be precisely.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Is this ever going to get a blu-ray release? One thing I hate about anime movies these days is that they seem to get this rolling programme of screenings around the world that lasts forever and screws over those of us who are only going to see it on a home video release.

Yes, Quintessential Quintuplets, I'm looking at you.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

To each their own, but I would not pay to watch a dub - to me, dubbing always causes lack of immersion.

I may just have to spend money to see this in the theater, even though I have watched it twice already (hey, "Thrice" is in the title). Laughing
phantom360

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
No english screening? That's odd for Gkids espiecally when there's a english dub for it already.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
No english screening? That's odd for Gkids espiecally when there's a english dub for it already.

With any luck, GKids is gonna redub the film. The Amazon dub of the Rebuild films isn't exactly good.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
phantom360 wrote:

With any luck, GKids is gonna redub the film. The Amazon dub of the Rebuild films isn't exactly good.

I'm not holding my breath considering the Amazon dubs are Khara-sanctioned and they probably wouldn't take kindly to a dub in the same vein as the Funimation ones
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

To each their own, but I would not pay to watch a dub - to me, dubbing always causes lack of immersion.

I may just have to spend money to see this in the theater, even though I have watched it twice already (hey, "Thrice" is in the title). Laughing

That’s fine, but some of us do prefer them, particularly for Eva where some of us have a lot of attachment to Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Allison Keith as Shinji, Asuka, and Misato.

louis6578 wrote:
phantom360 wrote:

3.0+1.01 sounded pretty good. It’s the first two that were so vastly inferior to FUNimation. 3.33 was about the same IMO.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This is probably one of those obligatory theatrical screening things as part of the distribution contract.

Would have gladly watched it in a theater years ago, but have already seen it now, though I guess I'd be curious about a dub. I am patiently waiting for the 4.44 blu-ray, or whatever they are calling that version.

One reason I prefer watching dubs, especially in a theater is so that I can watch the actual animation on a big screen, and also because there are certainly inflections in tone or style of dialect that are translated into English sound that I don't pick up in Japanese.

Dubs have been pretty great as of late with few exceptions. Theaterical releases tend to have better animation budgets than TV series so I'd prefer to not have to read subtitles on a big screen and just enjoy the visuals. The nice thing about owning it at home is that you can try both. But if subs are the only option, usually at film festivals, then that's not stopping me from going to see anime at the theater, but if there was an option, I usually pick dub.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Here in Australia, Crunchyroll will be bringing it to theatres starting October 13.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I'm not holding my breath considering the Amazon dubs are Khara-sanctioned and they probably wouldn't take kindly to a dub in the same vein as the Funimation ones

While this is true, they are allowing redubs elsewhere since it already happened in Italy.
brainrotter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:39 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

While this is true, they are allowing redubs elsewhere since it already happened in Italy.

Unfortunately the EN dubs were personally overseen (read: micromanaged) by Dan Kanemitsu, so they're too Official™ to be replaced
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
No Canada? If there is one film that I want to see on the big screen at least once, it would be this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1