• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream Farming Life in Another World, Ippon! again Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:25 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

You don’t think them shutting down their streaming service in LA is a sign that their financial problems haven’t trickled down to HiDive?
They're still licensing and dubbing shows at the same rate they've always had and John Ledford seems to still be running his business the same as he always has. In fact they seem to be doing a lot better than they have in the past with picking up major mainstream shows like Urusei Yatsura and Tokyo Mew Mew and new Lupin content. But even if they're somehow at risk that further demonstrates my point that I fail to see how it's helpful to be actively cheerleading AMC shutting down HiDive.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're still licensing and dubbing shows at the same rate they've always had and John Ledford seems to still be running his business the same as he always has. In fact they seem to be doing a lot better than they have in the past with picking up major mainstream shows like Urusei Yatsura and Tokyo Mew Mew and new Lupin content. But even if they're somehow at risk that further demonstrates my point that I fail to see how it's helpful to be actively cheerleading AMC shutting down HiDive.

I get your point but if I lived in an area where they were actively ignoring me I'd probably want them to shut down too. There shouldn't be any reason they can't work out a deal with another streaming service to stream their shows in areas where they can't. I mean Crunchyroll does it with Hulu in the US and they share a market together. Just seems stupid to me to not sub license it out and a least make a little bit of money instead of nothing.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I mean Crunchyroll does it with Hulu in the US and they share a market together. Just seems stupid to me to not sub license it out and a least make a little bit of money instead of nothing.
Hulu is also blocked from streaming in Canada but I don't think anyone would suggest Viz should shut down because some Viz anime that are exclusive to Hulu are not available for streaming in Canada.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Hulu is also blocked from streaming in Canada but I don't think anyone would suggest Viz should shut down because some Viz anime that are exclusive to Hulu are not available for streaming in Canada.

Are those shows completely blocked in Canada or do they show up on other streaming services? That's what happened with Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War. It streams on Hulu in the US and Disney+ in Canada. If that's the case with their other anime than its not really a fair comparison to what happened in Latin America.

You are also completely ignoring the fact that Sentai/HiDive could choose to sub license their shows to other streaming services but so far have refused to do so which leads to people being ticked off. It's like they are encouraging their former customer base to turn to pirating.

You said earlier that HiDive is doing better since they are licensing more shows. Do you think that is going to be sustainable in the future when they seem to be actively looking to shrink their customer base?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
You are also completely ignoring the fact that Sentai/HiDive could choose to sub license their shows to other streaming services but so far have refused to do so which leads to people being ticked off. It's like they are encouraging their former customer base to turn to pirating.

Why are you assuming that HIDIVE has rights to territories they are not serving? I am guessing they pick up rights just for territories they serve.

Quote:
You said earlier that HiDive is doing better since they are licensing more shows. Do you think that is going to be sustainable in the future when they seem to be actively looking to shrink their customer base?

But even if HIDIVE became a U.S. and Canada exclusive service, they would still make plenty of money because it is a huge market, especially if they stream at least 15 shows each season.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Why are you assuming that HIDIVE has rights to territories they are not serving? I am guessing they pick up rights just for territories they serve.

They had a streaming platform down there that they recently shut down. Those rights have to be somewhere. I doubt that people from LA would be complaining if those shows were showing up on other platforms.

Aren't most territory rights package deals? People in Europe used to complain about Funimation the same way before they bought Crunchyroll. They'd get the rights to the parts of Europe they served but also go rights to areas they didn't serve.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Aren't most territory rights package deals? People in Europe used to complain about Funimation the same way before they bought Crunchyroll. They'd get the rights to the parts of Europe they served but also go rights to areas they didn't serve.

You tell me. Since AMC is cutting down costs, wouldn't getting rights to less regions make a whole lot of sense? Like I said I could easily see HIDIVE becoming a U.S and Canada only service.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
You tell me. Since AMC is cutting down costs, wouldn't getting rights to less regions make a whole lot of sense? Like I said I could easily see HIDIVE becoming a U.S and Canada only service.

I've always understood it that it's the Japanese who decides on who gets what regions and the companies that license from them get very little say in it. So, if Sentai/HiDive decide they want to license a show for North America and the Japanese company says ok, but you also have to take the rights to say LA then HiDive either has to take those rights or pass on the show. I could be wrong though. That's just how I interpreted things working based on what I've read here and other sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3