• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote

My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 7 volumes, by Mashiro)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Genres: comedy, drama, romance

Themes: gaming, school

Plot Summary: Akane Kinoshita is a female university student who just got dumped by her boyfriend after he cheated on her with a woman he met in an online game. Akane is left with just her game character in the online game Forest of Savior (FOS) that she started to share her boyfriend's interests. While she was blowing off steam in the game's hunting ground, she happened upon "Yamada" who was from the same guild as her.

She started complaining about her failed relationship only to be met with a cold "I'm not interested". When she then joined an offline meeting in an attempt to look pretty and make her ex regret dumping her, she hears those exact same words once again. This is her fated meeting with Akito Yamada.

Air Date & Platform:
April 1, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

Episode 01: This Is Why I Can't Stand Gamer Guys!
Episode 02: It's Almost Time for the Boss to Spawn, So...
Episode 03: I Wanna Have an Offline Meeting
Episode 04: Are You in Love with Yamada?

Episode 05: How About You Give Us an Explanation
Episode 06: I Personally Would Prefer a Love Comedy Ending
Episode 07: You Want To Feel at Ease?
Episode 08: If That Happened, That Would Be...

Episode 09: The Guild Is Facing a Crisis!!
Episode 10: I'll Definitely Be Hurt Someday
Episode 11: There's Something I Want to Talk to You About
Episode 12: I Like You
Episode 13: In the Morning When I Wake Up

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:09 am; edited 17 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think I'm going to like this one. Akane is a bit of a hot mess, but that makes her fun to watch. I wonder if she and gamer boy actually did the deed? I'm guessing not. Hey, a romance that isn't between middle or high schoolers - bonus!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:26 am Reply with quote
Seems like a fun series and both characters are a bit of a mess in different ways.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
I won’t lie, even though we’re only at episode one, I’m already quite smitten with Akane, I think she’s totally adorable!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:57 pm Reply with quote
So far this one and Home Hero are the two that have really made me look forward to seeing them again next week.

The dynamic between the two reminds me a little of Work is Hard For an Otaku what with with him being all monsyllabic and gamer-y, But this one's much more energetic.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:46 am Reply with quote
1:

That was surprisingly charming.

I normally avoid shows that center around gaming because they tend to focus more on the game itself than the storytelling. But not here. A very light-hearted show where the game is the plot device, and you don't need to be a hardcore gamer to know what's going on. The show doesn't come off as stuck-up as other game-centered counterparts, and that's good.

Second, I like Akane. A lot. This is a shoujo series that centers around RPG, which is pretty unusual (read: novel). And Akane's just adorable. Sure, the setup is typical shoujo rom-com, but it's not forced. And the characters are college students (interesting; I would have thought it's high-school students... now that would be done to death).

I will stick around for a while. This might be the perfect cool-down show I need when this season is filled with so many big-profile titles (not sure how I'm gonna take it when we're gonna have Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer and Vinland Saga all in one season).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: This Is Why I Can't Stand Gamer Guys!

Summary: Dumped by Takuma for Eri, Akane lashes out at FOS guildmate Yamada. At a FOS real-world event, she bribes Yamada to pretend to be her boyfriend. Yamada is famous and uninterested in dating. Akane wakes up hungover in his apartment the next day.

Comments: The social awkwardness humor is strong with this one. I was only even interested in checking this out because I'm a Madhouse fanboy. But to my surprise, the story material was genuinely hilarious and heartwarming.

I'm wondering if the manga-ka is big into gaming or just really observant of the hardcore gamers and their attitudes. I know when I, myself, get into long gaming streaks, I'm a little annoyed at the rest of the world for trying to disrupt me. If Yamada is as famous as he's implied to be, I can see how that might be going to his head.

Akane seems likeable enough, and I'm interested to see how (or even if) she can make Yamada a little more open and verbose. Then again, maybe that's just part of his mystique. Heck, I'd even be cool with him making Akane a better gamer at the expense of an actual budding romance.

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Akane seems likeable enough, and I'm interested to see how (or even if) she can make Yamada a little more open and verbose. Then again, maybe that's just part of his mystique. Heck, I'd even be cool with him making Akane a better gamer at the expense of an actual budding romance.

I hadn't even considered this angle. That would be cool, but given how much attention the gameplay got in the first episode, it seems a bit doubtful. But I'm wrong about anime on a regular basis.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I mention the better-gamer-girl scenario, because that's what I tried to my own girlfriend. I'm not top-tier and hardcore like Yamada. But my gf thinks some of his mannerisms are similar to me (mainly the concise, blunt honesty and tunnel vision tendencies when gaming).

I got Guild Wars 2 as a present from a friend back when it first came out, and it was the only other MMORPG I'd ever played outside of Maple Story. I eventually bought it for my gf, and then we played together in my friend's guild, doing weekend guild missions and stuff. I basically played both our accounts to level and armor up our characters, earn gold for the occasional gem store fashion updates, then I tried to teach her to play better.

I then fell out of GW2 because none of my friends really play it anymore. And the one who got me GW2 also got back into MS, which we played a bunch before GW2 came out. And now I'm playing MS and doing the exact same thing with my gf's account for that one.

The gaming thing never took for her. But we've been together for 13.5 years, now. So the love story worked out.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:36 pm Reply with quote
2:

Did I mention how adorable Akane is?

A few more things I find interesting about this rom-com:

1. Yamada is a high school kid. Akane is a college kid. Unlike most other rom-coms, the guy is younger than the girl this time.

2. Unlike in most other rom-coms, Yamada lives alone despite still being in high school. Quite unusual, especially from a storytelling POV.

Call them minor observations, but they might change the dynamic of the interaction between Akane and Yamada in a way that makes it a little different (read: interesting) than other rom-coms. I find that surprisingly interesting.

Another thing that surprised me was how effective the "be selective" bit during the clean-up was illustrated. Simple yet symbolically significant, I went "wow, that was really good". I think this show is actually better than what most people would eventually credit it for. The key is in the small details.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 02: It's Almost Time for the Boss to Spawn, So...

Summary: Akane fears sleeping with Yamada, who kicks her out. She loses her necklace, accuses him, and he rejects her. Akane scolds him for being a high school senior and learns to let go of her past. Yamada returns the broken necklace and lends her an umbrella. Akane thanks him while drunk.

Comments: My theory of who would rub off more on the other was slightly tested. On the one hand, Akane's insecurities are a little off-putting. On the other hand, Yamada's tunnel vision is less obnoxious, but still kind of annoying to watch because he seems so apathetic.

I feel like it's one of those cases where the two have good chemistry, but they just don't realize it, yet. Thankfully, Yamada's pragmatism seems to be the "first strike" in allowing Akane to realize her hoarding habits. Then again, maybe it was simply the act of her meeting Yamada, in the first place, that catalyzed him to be more open and considerate.

Good ol' Madhouse doesn't disappoint in the art department, though. The shading in a lot of the lower-lit scenes is awesome. I wish they drew every anime.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The gaming thing never took for her. But we've been together for 13.5 years, now. So the love story worked out.

She certainly sounds like a keeper. I just realized they don't have a thumbs up emoji. But then again, maybe it's a good thing that the emoji's can't stick up single fingers <g>. Anyway, I had to give up gaming a couple of years ago ([posting about anime too). Some medical stuff happened in my family that required a lot of attention and extra work, and I have one of those hyper focus type brains that loses track of time when engaged in a task. Gaming for one hour is torture, kind of like eating one potato chip. I'm back to a point where I have a bit more free time, but I haven't gone back to gaming.

As far as Yamada and gaming goes, it looks like the gaming element (and this guildmaster character...Ruri?) are going to continue to play a bridge, so who knows. Episode 2 continued to be a lot of fun for me. Hard to tell which character is more of a mess - the one who puts everything out there or the one who needs to have social interaction pulled out of him with a tow chain.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
There is a line between cute and annoying and I am unsure on where I would place Akane so far (probably more at the annoying side). Yamada is like a brick emotional wise but he did help her during the event and assisted during the drunken vomit party that happened afterwards. Then there is the getting woken up by two drunken people at the door going bonkers on your doorbell.

Also, on Yamada. I agree that he needs to learn how to respond respectfully in certain situations in order to function in society. However, it is also true that beyond that it is up to the person to decide how socially active they want to be. Some people just find interacting with others tiring and thus only do it when needed. Yamada might be in that camp.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:38 am Reply with quote
@smurky turkey

If I'm reading your post right, you're saying

(A) Akane is a much bigger mess than Yamada and annoying to boot.

(B) People shouldn't assume introverts are messes.

As far as the annoying mess goes, mileages vary. If I thought Akane was going to spend the rest of her life depressed, being a stalker, and leaving her safety to strangers by getting drunk and passing out in public, I wouldn't find this show amusing, it would be a tragedy. But she's at a low point in her life and spiraling, and comedies aren't supposed to be too realistic. I don't dislike Akane because being a too-trusting, wide-open spazz is one of the worst character flaws for a person, but it's not one of the worst flaws as a person. And I have a feeling she's going to be okay even while she makes a lot of bad decisions trying to course correct. That's what a comedy is.

As far as labeling introverts, first of all, I like Yamada just like I like Akane. I don't call Yamada a mess because he's an introvert. I myself am an introvert. When I want to destress, I recharge with quiet, alone time. I call Yamada a mess because he's obviously a basically kind person who's been shown being a prick several times because he doesn't get some basic, not-so-subtleties of human interaction. The way he treated the shy girl who was trying to confess to him was the most obvious example. If I thought he was just going to breeze through life hurting shy people without feeling any regret, I wouldn't like him. But a kind person who hurts people unintentionally is going to have regrets at some point, maybe intense ones. That's why I call him a mess. He needs to figure some pretty basic stuff out, or it's going to bite him on the butt later.

Anyhow, I like the show a lot, but I certainly don't hold it against you if you don't.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
Well, if I will like the show kind of stands and falls with what will happen next with both characters. Though maybe because I am interested in seeing what will happen next one could say I already like it plenty.

For Akane I hope it really is just her needing to heal from a rather blunt breakup. At the moment she is a rather large mess, but I assume that she will bounce back in steps over time. As you have said, not bouncing back at all would make for tragedy, so I assume that not to be the case. Me finding her annoying is in part to having been exposed to several people who handled a break up extremely badly and made the life of the people close to them a lot worse. Some of the humor is probably lost on me due to that.

As for Yamada, it depends on how he will change. Him leading to learn how to be respectful and understand others to some extend is a necessity. How he is now will make for some difficult times. The question I have is more as to him being a introvert. More than a few anime have a character go from being an introvert to being far more outgoing in order to match their partner and become ''fixed''. I have some mixed feelings on that being an introvert myself.

All that said, maybe I am just thinking too deeply on a fluffy romcom show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8