• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

A mere three unconscious chicks had to be rescued? Slacker. Although, I give him a few bonus points for saving Kaori's trinket. Man, that dude could be getting so much action, if he wanted to. So some chick wants to fry the other world, huh? I wonder if that means we'll start spending more than, like, 5 minutes an episode there. Pretty cool that the Easter Bunny is a deity there, though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:03 am Reply with quote
This show reminds me of certain manhwa in that you can not have a moment of rest. At every moment there has to be some kind of conflict or situation going on. Also, if a few minutes go by without the common folk having a stroke at how good looking you are and how your talents can pierce the heavens then you are not really living.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first 3 episodes (so way behind y’all). Have to say it’s a love-hate kinda thing. Super OP Isekai feel with excessive wish fulfillment but also some pretty decent anti-Jobless reincarnate elements. So far the MC is not a dirtbag which is refreshing. I love that he’s spending most of his time navigating school like and the fantasy elements seem like an afternoon hobby instead of the same old every other Isekai approach.

The art seems decent. The voice actors (English dub) aren't making me cringe so far which is. Nice. I didn’t think I’d like a whole episode about a fashion shoot but it was okay.

The MC seems to actually be emotionally awakening over a decent amount of time.

My biggest criticism was it missed a great opportunity for some slow evolution (physical and skills) that if drawn out over say 6 episodes could have made for a much more interesting story. But it sold out up front like most in the genre. Not sure why people
cant enjoy watching actual growth and development before jumping to the money shot in all these Isekai. Still get the wish fulfillment but might like it more if there was a sense it was worked for a bit. Question Question
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the newest episode he does have to experiment with magic for it to work properly, so that counts as a bit of effort..... maybe. Not having to put in any work seems to be part of the isekai fantasy in many cases.

Also, sidenote, the balance between regular and otherworld time is way different than I initially expected. I went in expecting Yuuya to spend like 90% of his time exploring the other world while only coming back to the regular world a few times at most. Instead of that he has not done that much in the other world so far and we are 6 episodes in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that surprised me too. But by now, it's clear that the material is about a hopeless dude who got powered up because of going to another world, and it's the impact this has on his life in our world that the show really cares about. If nothing else, it's at least a bit of a new spin on the whole tired isekai genre.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun episode with relatively little extreme flexing in it. There was a new character to meet and Night was right in being wary of her. Yuuya has become a bit more skilled and it is time for a camping trip. Now, knowing this series I fully expect some wolves or a bear or two to get beaten up next week, since not a single activity can go by without some danger showing up.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why I'm still watching and liking this show when it's so blatant in just about everything it does. But I am.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I hear ya, Edjwald, I'm in the same boat. I think part of it for me is just the sheer entertainment value of seeing how over the top awesome Yuuya is going to be in any given episode. And the background art is very well done, especially in the Other World, so there is definite eye candy. One thing this episode didn't handle well were the action scenes in the Dark Woods. Not only was the animation limited, but the blocking and composition was wonky, imo. I often couldn't tell exactly what the show was trying to convey. As example, it wasn't initially clear that Luna was the one using threads. Speaking of which, it seems that Night's initial instinct about her was correct: she's bad news. I mean, she's bad news if you consider assassins to be bad news, which generally people do.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:56 am Reply with quote
Still behind y’all by 2 episodes because I currently
Wait for the dubs (no way can I read the subs on my iPad at night.

Still like it for whatever reason. The way it flips some things is interesting.

So who’s best girl so far? Seems like he’s slowly building a harem (I’d rather than see a split dimension love triangle because it would be a more focused and dramatic. Approach but harems seem to be flavor of the gene).

So far I’m saying Kaede Kazama for best girl. She has some personality and is well drawn.

Kaoiri seems 2 dimensional and just there so he can save her and have an excuse to be at the school.

Lexi is the best drawn character but seems to have a creepy stalker fetish and the brains of a jellyfish.

Just some random impressions from a sleepy watching of the 4th ep last night.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:41 am Reply with quote
Actually, for me, Luna is Best Girl. She's hot and homicidal. For my money, that's an AWESOME combination.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I *am* seeing my therapist today, why do you ask?
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:56 am Reply with quote
I need to get further in. And yes a good slinky homicidal villainess
Can be best girl. Bad/crazy girl phases are a thing. We should have a thread for that somewhere.? Maybe an anti-waifu-moe thread? Looks like Luna could be close to the top of that kinda list.

Looking forward to the next couple weeks!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
Ew, Luna seems less like a deranged killer and more like an unfortunate girl who has done contract killings to survive. I don't see the series killing her off, but rather getting her to join the good guys (though who knows if the princess is part of that) by the way of the Yuuya charms.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, smurky, smurky, smurky... I worry about you. You seem like the sort who would meet a homicidal cutie and tell everybody, "she's not like that! She's just misunderstood. You don't know her the way I do..." Only to go missing a few days later... Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
Nah, I just know anime. There are very few anime in which a pretty lady gets killed instead of joining the good guys through some talk no jitsu.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
If you're going to embrace a cray cray...then you gotta take the crazy as the reason. Take the wild out and what's left? Just another boring Meo. With danger comes excitement!

Don't go changing to try and please me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8