• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 2 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Clueless First Friend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Episode 8
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
deal back to Taiyō in the same coin that he is spending on her, make him embarrassed for a change, if that's at all possible with this kid.

I don't think it's possible to embarrass Taiyõ. The class bullies give it their best shot, and come up empty-handed.

They're in elementary school (and will be next year, too)? I thought middle-school at least. And Taiyõ's big sister is in middle-school (which, I think, makes her antics with Akane as dress-up doll a bit more realistic).

Also, spoiler[of course Taiyõ thinks having a cast is just the coolest thing.]

Laughing here. You're probably right! Impossible to pay back to Taiyō in the same coin he is using. But she really does need to move out and forward, rather than just absorb all this love and kindness in total shy mode. Already in this EP 8 she has now reached Full Red Head blush mode and the animators are going to run out of the red color. Crisis mode.
I believe it was said somewhere that they are in Grammar School, 6th grade. So next year they would be Frosh in Middle School. spoiler[I was thinking exactly that before he arrived at school in the morning. He would think "Wow, my arm is in a cast. Isn't that just the coolest thing possible?"]

I have just fallen in love with "My Clueless First Friend" and some of these characters. Don't want this one to end at 13!
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
They're in elementary school (and will be next year, too)? I thought middle-school at least.

I believe it was said somewhere that they are in Grammar School, 6th grade. So next year they would be Frosh in Middle School.

According to the official plot summary, they’re fifth-graders, so next year is his last chance to participate in elementary school field day.

But gosh darn it, this is just the cutest, sweetest show ever! Very Happy
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
dm wrote:
They're in elementary school (and will be next year, too)? I thought middle-school at least.

I believe it was said somewhere that they are in Grammar School, 6th grade. So next year they would be Frosh in Middle School.

According to the official plot summary, they’re fifth-graders, so next year is his last chance to participate in elementary school field day.

But gosh darn it, this is just the cutest, sweetest show ever! Very Happy

Thanks for correcting that grade level which means no reason not to have a Season 2 to watch our hero win the Field Day.

And spot on comment also that "But gosh darn it, this is just the cutest, sweetest show ever! Very Happy"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:09 pm Reply with quote
But that was the saddest excuse for a spoiler[cast] I've ever seen. It looked like spoiler[mummy wrappings they forgot to add the plaster to.] How's anyone supposed to spoiler[sign that thing]? Very Happy
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But that was the saddest excuse for a spoiler[cast] I've ever seen. It looked like spoiler[mummy wrappings they forgot to add the plaster to.] How's anyone supposed to spoiler[sign that thing]? Very Happy

Hahaha, yes! Yes! That’s exactly what I was thinking, too!!! Very Happy Shocked Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Nishimura and Takada having married couple vibes is so precious.

I'm glad we're finally getting to Kasahara's character development and her starting to get along with Nishimura. Nishimura's earnestness and sincerity melted the heart of even this tsundere, to the point where she couldn't use Nishimura's "curse" against her. Heck, if anything, being closer to Nishimura makes her closer to Takada too.

And what an epic run by Takada!
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Really excellent review by Rebecca Silverman of Ep 8-9

Our reviewer hit on the very central plot point for the entire story so far in Kasahara's growth!
Kasahara was in fact actually falling to social bullying like saying that girls athletics are not cool, and a girl should remain with girly things only. She was allowing others to define her.

spoiler[
Then Nishimura rips a few pages out of Taiyou's massive playbook, and she herself steps out of her previous isolation and right into helping Kasahara to change. And Kasahara listens to her and runs which helps her class to win the relay.

But then the most beautiful moment in many beautiful moments comes when Kasahara is about to say something mean to Nishimura but stops, thinks about it, and doesn't.
Even Kitagawa tells Nishimura that she did a good job!
]

The classroom is beginning to change when someone actually works to change it! This anime is just so honest and so precious.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Is this a 4-koma? It sure felt like one this week, jumping from thread to thread.

Almost as an aside, Kasahara starts on her redemption arc.

If he weren't so oblivious, Takada would be laying it on a bit thick, at least in the early part of this episode.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
If I had a nickel for every time a character named Akane had a sick episode that also lead to a sweet, intimate, moment with her love interest...I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's strange it happened twice and within a day of each other.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:47 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Is this a 4-koma? It sure felt like one this week, jumping from thread to thread.

It isn't a 4-koma, but the chapters are variable length. Many are less than 10 pages long, while more major events are closer to the standard 20ish. It's similar to Komi Can't Communicate's variable length chapters.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:09 am Reply with quote
Fragmentary episodes like this can sometimes be a bit disorienting and unsatisfying, but I think they pull it off here.

Can't have a romcom without a fever or two. I do like that Nishimura's is induced by sheer giddy excitement (that was incredibly endearing) rather than the staple "getting wet".

Hino dreaming about them both in tank tops... Everyone saw that punchline coming a mile off, but I still laughed.

Personal growth for Kasahara! She's in the OP as part of the group so I guess it was always coming, but it's nice to see her actually maturing rather than just cosplaying it.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Spring comes for Takada-kun.

Also, Kashara takes a couple of tentative kitten-mediated steps down the road to redemption.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was just Takada who had the handlebar moustache fetish, but even the store Santa cake-hawker was sporting one. Even Hino's Santa cosplay (poor kid, having to wear sleeves outside). They're everywhere!

Is it me just now noticing, or do there seem to be an unusual number of hair-hiding-one-eye main characters this season? (o,\)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I love Kasahara's character development and budding friendship with Nishimura as well as some genuine romantic progress between the two after seeing a kiss and dwelling on what it means for their relationship.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman has become the number 1 reviewer of "My Clueless First Friend" and this review of EP11 just solidifies that position. Spot-on again!

Young boys in grade school do begin to pack together into boy gangs, and a lot of bullying goes on which is a form of gang reinforcement at the expense of girls. I remember guys saying that girls had "cooties" without ever explaining what that meant. I still don't know what that means, but even today, some dude will condemn a guy for having feelings saying "that is just so gay".

Our clueless hero, Takada has feelings, he knows it, and he fully accepts himself as such which makes him immune to what is going down in this classroom. A few episodes back he was walking with Nishimura, and he wondered to himself, "Are friends supposed to make your heart race?" Well in EP 11, he has lost some innocence and he now knows the answer to his question.

I think to characterize this as "falling-in-love" is much too strong for the 5th grade, but this grade level is the beginnings of crushing so to say he is "falling-into-a-crush" probably works.
We will see next episode of this wonderful story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4