• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Konosuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
What a waste of dramatic potential and since when was Konosuba a game-based world??

...This is the weirdest question I have seen... RPG elements have been in the series since episode 1.

-We see Kasuma learning numerous skills with the guild card, Steal being the most prominent, Kasuma's class is also Novice, because his status points are so low he can't attain a proper class.

- Aqua had to learn the party tricks because they were in the High Priest skill tree and its stated her INT and LCK stats are 1, this explains her stupididity and luckless.

-Darkness can't hit enemies because she places all her skill points in HP and DEF and refuces to lvl up her swordman skills.

- Megumin keeps fainting because she refuces to increase her MP, she just keeps pumping skill points into Explosion.

This is like watching the Future Trunks OVA and ask "Since when Dragon Ball Z has had transformations?".
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I never saw anyone in Konosuba with a guild card using it those ways that I remember. It is explicitly explained that Megumin passes out from the expenditure of magic energy and Darkness's ineptitude was just always a running joke as far as I saw. I suppose you'd say there were heads-up stat screen displays too?

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun May 07, 2023 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kinda, the stats are in the guild cards.

Kasuma's stats are garbage but he has over 600 in LCK, Aqua can't get any smarter because, her being a Goddess, has her stays maxed from the beginning.

You may want to go and rewatch the episode when Kasuma learns Steal, you can see the guild card in action.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I just did! I didn't catch those things the first time though, so I guess my bad? I remembered him learning the steal skill with the panties but didn't notice the guild card action but there it was.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I never expected to feel so bad for a demon or for Megumin's iconic look to have so much sentiment behind it, but it made for a very entertaining episode and sendoff for Megumin.

I will miss Komekko and Arue.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was funnier in the manga, there everyone of the tricks Megumin comes up with are the ones the cult later tries with Kasuma and Darkness, so the joke comes from thinking that everything they go thru is, technically, her fault.

Anyways, the episode was no bueno and I always considered this whole thing a plot hole since Megumin never mentions her time in this city and the cult of Aqua is less aggressive too.
me_barron

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
loli-obsessed priests

So pedophile priests? Cool. Glad I dropped the show a couple of episodes back.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:24 pm Reply with quote
So the Axis Cult is basically a bunch of lolicon criminals, huh? Made it even funnier to watch Megumin get stuck with them.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:45 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Episode 7 was funnier in the manga, there everyone of the tricks Megumin comes up with are the ones the cult later tries with Kasuma and Darkness, so the joke comes from thinking that everything they go thru is, technically, her fault.

That is what I remember from the LN as well. Maybe that still happens and was just after the part we saw this week, and I forgot part of it. They did show some of the characters that we saw in Konosuba trying to scam the main cast.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
It's funny how Megumin and Yunyun basically did nothing in this episode other than just watch the Axis Cult be a bunch of perverted degenerates given free reign over their nonsense because they control the water in the city and bullying a demon girl who ended up taking the blame for stuff their leader was responsible for.

Yet they're so true to themselves that you just can't help but like them.

But hey, Sena cameo! And a naked Explosion!
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Aqua would react if she knew how "her" church really is like.

Also I wonder if that poor demon that has all this bad luck with useless men is going to cross paths with Kyoya at some point.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
This show has been selling me on Megumin and Yunyun as a duo and Megumin as a terrible pet owner. Poor Chomusuke.

I guess poor Arnes too. She was a pretty reasonable person most of the time that just got continually screwed over by Megumin, her family, and the Axis Cult. Shame to see her get Explosion-ed when all she wanted was her master back.

Also how hilarious that Kazuma and Aqua inadvertently saved Megumin and Yunyun...which is about the only way Aqua could actually help.
beaverusiv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I read Megumin completely different than Grant lol. Megumin is incompetent as a party member and everyone knows that. She has one spell (and refuses to learn others), she can use it once a day, and she can only use in wide open spaces lest there be massive collateral damage.

That's part of the schtick of Konosuba is the incompetent party; mage with one spell, melee tank who can't hit anything and wants to get hurt, healing mage who is dumb as bricks and always attracts aggro, and a leader who can't lead.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
beaverusiv wrote:
and a leader who can't lead.

There's a side story where Kazuma and Dust swap parties for a day when Dust makes a remark about Kazuma having it easy with his team. It turns out that Kazuma is a super effective leader in taking down a bunch of goblins (or orcs?) using the terrain and his new teams strengths to their advantage. When the new team gets back to town Dust is crying up a storm and begs Kazuma to take 'his' party back since they are the worst. THE WORST.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It's fun watching the Kazuma and Aqua story bouncing around Megumin's current journey before she ends u with them. Or how everybody was looking for Aqua but couldn't accept believe she fits the description because she's...Aqua.

Also nice to see Cecily back who is as brazen and perverted as ever.

Host is fun. I'm glad we're seeing him again even if I feel like he's going to get screwed over like Arnes did. I mean, he even did an intro like a Crimson Demon! Respect him!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3