• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time to say enough to slimes?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Maybe I missed the memo, but when did slimes become the go to gimmick for being all powerful, getting the women, and comic relief?

I honestly don’t understand how Reincarnated as a Slime spawned what looks to be a whole slime genre but copycats are cranking out slime themes and it’s annoying. Black summoner (watching now) has the dumbest most overpowered slime. But it just scratches the surface.

Slimes seem like the ultimate cheap artistic cheat. They can apparently just do anything. They take nothing to draw. They are a lame vehicle for making lots of boing boing noises. They seem to just take up visual and auditory space so very young children will be enthralled by random noise and motion.

Perhaps this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I think it’s time for the anime community to demand more, better, and different all empowering familiars. And while I understand (from googling it just now) that there is a niche fetish for
Slime girls…let’s stuff that back in a box as well.

Just my two cents after seeing too many evolving growing bouncing slimes in the last week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:

Slimes seem like the ultimate cheap artistic cheat. They can apparently just do anything. They take nothing to draw.

From a production standpoint, you have identified their appeal to shows looking to save money on animation costs. I feel the same way you do, but sadly their low cost means they are likely to be around for a long time to come. Watch for the show where every creature and every speaking part is a slime. It's coming.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOO!

You're spot on Blood. Soon we will see hordes of MC who are reincarnated as slimes, have slime familiars, and are dating slimes and the whole screen will be filled with round blue dots and the main dialogue will be boing boing boing.

Someone's going to come say I'm exaggerating but I've seen every one of those elements more than once...just going to take someone to put them all together and run them for 17 minutes and that'll be the new show.

We must stop the slime invasion before it gains more ground!
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
Well Blood looks like it’s just you and me. Everyone else seems okay with slime Wink

Last edited by InfiniteJest on Fri May 19, 2023 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mood?

*makes a The Rock eye brow raise*
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
Autocorrect on my phone is a pita.

Fixed
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Nah, you are absolutely right, dude.

I'M SEEING SLIMES EVERYWHERE LATELY?? I'M TIRED OF THEM.

Fantasy/isekai genre need a new gimmick....cause yeah, I'm getting very tired of them xD I think we had like way too many anime series focusing on slimes and slime characters in just 2021-2022 alone.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
Hey, Lois! These shows are so repetitive! I haven't felt this burnt out since That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Hey, Lois! These shows are so repetitive! I haven't felt this burnt out since That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime.

"Oh my gawd...Peet-ah...what....what is this?"
"I dunno."
"Did ya turn into The Blob or something!? Is this a bit!?"
"I dunno, Lois! I just woke up like this!"
"WHAT IS THIS IN REFERENCE TO!?"
"I SAID I DUNNO!"
" OH MY GAWD. YOU'RE SO DISGUSTING!"
"Take me to the doctah!"
"Okay..."
"Wait! Wait! ....put me down yer shirt first."

Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1