• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Anime Helped Save Superman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
For Marvel Comics, you know how Peter Parker get a lot of ladies (ie: Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, Felicia Hardy, etc...) that would put him on par with the lead male in a harem anime. Why hasn't there been a Spider-man harem anime? I mean Gwen Stacey is a tsundere in the early days of her Silver age incarnation (let's bring that tsundere part back for the anime adaptation and fitting for a harem anime), and Felicia Hardy has a ridiculously big bust that is on par with any female anime characters with big breasts. I don't understand why Marvel hasn't thought of this given the Spider-man's popularity in Japan and the trope is there for Peter/Spider-man, put him with some of the girls in a dorm and lots of funny antics will come out of it and at the same there still be his adventures as Spider-man alongside the harem storyline/tropes.

Well, obviously MJ would be best girl. While not Marvel, I would like to see a harem anime of the Archieverse. Of course, Betty would be Best Girl.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I loved "My Adventures with Superman" and hope we get more ASAP.

To me the moment that locked it in (Though I was on board before this) was Episode 6

spoiler[Clark jumps in front of Lois as a machine gun is firing at them. Keep in mind this Clark is not invulnerable, just resistant to damage more than a regular person. When the Shooting stops Lois is terrified he's hurt, but he tells her he is fine.
Lois: How did you know you were bulletproof?
Clark: I didn't. I just knew that you weren't.
]

I saw that and was like "Oh, they get it. They understand Superman"
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 am Reply with quote
I loved this show, I'm looking forward to more from the team. And this is one of my favorite Clark and Lois, they are cute together.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
Adventures of Superman was a nice surprise. I’m not any kind of Superman expert, but this version seemed like a good one. I especially liked how he isn’t all powerful (not yet at least). And the characters have some great chemistry. I do wish it wasn’t quite so fast paced, but otherwise it’s an easy recommendation for anyone who likes the idea of a Superman cartoon with some very noticeable anime inspirations.
irenatheunicorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
For Marvel Comics, you know how Peter Parker get a lot of ladies (ie: Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, Felicia Hardy, etc...) that would put him on par with the lead male in a harem anime. Why hasn't there been a Spider-man harem anime? I mean Gwen Stacey is a tsundere in the early days of her Silver age incarnation (let's bring that tsundere part back for the anime adaptation and fitting for a harem anime), and Felicia Hardy has a ridiculously big bust that is on par with any female anime characters with big breasts. I don't understand why Marvel hasn't thought of this given the Spider-man's popularity in Japan and the trope is there for Peter/Spider-man, put him with some of the girls in a dorm and lots of funny antics will come out of it and at the same there still be his adventures as Spider-man alongside the harem storyline/tropes.

How about.. no? We really don't need Superhero comics to go back to that kind of nonsense. They've only relatively recently matured and moved beyond female heroes being sex objects for teenage boys to drool over. No need to regress back to the dark ages.
vorkedlarfleeze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I think we're getting this shoujo-flavored Superman (well, this and next season, I don't see James Gunn letting it stick around once Superman Legacy hits the big screen) because it's such a diametric opposite to Snyder, who by his own admission, is a fan of anime (he based the climax of Man of Steel off of Birdy The Mighty Decode and has said he would be down for directing a Dragonball movie because he enjoyed watching it with his family) but not of the type of anime that MAWS takes influence from. But that goes back to my first problem, you're just focusing on not being Snyder, and that's not enough to create something compelling.

Realistically speaking, what other direction is there to go for a kids show in TV these days? Yeah, we had Bruce Timm's take back in the 90s and that Legion of Superheroes version in the 2000s but action cartoons are just not really a thing anymore so making a more light-heated and soft Superman cartoon is about the only option they have outside another outright zany comedy like Teen Titans.

I'm not really a fan of it and find it such a huge departure from the established characters especially this version of Lois and Jimmy. But I find it really odd this is airing on Adult Swim. It feels like it should be on daytime Cartoon Network along with Teen Titans Go. Then again Adult Swim is also airing old Cartoon Network shows as well so I guess either the Adult part is no longer accurate or standards have become so strict that kids shows from the late 90s and early 2000s have content that are now deemed adults only.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
vorkedlarfleeze wrote:
IBut I find it really odd this is airing on Adult Swim. It feels like it should be on daytime Cartoon Network along with Teen Titans Go.

Apparently it was some kind of weird executive decision. Both this show and Genndy Tartakovsky's new series Unicorn: Warriors Eternal were originally supposed to air on Cartoon Network, but for whatever reason they were both moved to Adult Swim instead.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Well, obviously MJ would be best girl. While not Marvel, I would like to see a harem anime of the Archieverse. Of course, Betty would be Best Girl.

Is Archie or any of the characters well-known in Japan, because if none of their comics nor the characters don't have any establishment in Japan, then I don't think it's not a good idea for it to get a anime. I chose Spider-man to have a harem anime because he's very well-known in Japan given the many manga he has in Japan, along with a toku adaptation from Toei. So it makes sense a Spider-man harem anime would translate really well with Japanese audiences (& western one as well).

Also, I got 2 more ideas DC/WB can do:

-A Teen Titan anime!!! Now, all of you on ANN may have watched the 2003-2006 TV series with it's anime-styled gag and tropes. But do I think Teen Titan could translate to anime? I think they could. I would love it if Studio Trigger or Science Saru (or if it's possible, get both of them) to do the animation for Teen Titan anime.

-A New God/Fourth World Isekai anime: Given that the Isekai genre has gained popularity amongst anime fandom, and with the upcoming Suicide Squad Isekai anime. I got another Isekai idea/plot that could work with another DC title, the New Gods!!! This one will be sort of a
"Elseworld" anime for me, and one of the character will be an original for this anime TV show. So here's my pitch:

In this story, the Justice League and Superman doesn't exist in this universe!!! There's only Earth (and the Solar System), and 2 planets millions of miles away from earth are at almost eternal war: New Genesis, and Apokolips. The original main character for this is a Japanese-American studying abroad in Japan with a interesting past, and in the middle of a social outing, a boom tube portal opened and out came a group of Darkseid's Parademon and The Forever People and Mister Miracle fighting and with the Forever People, and Mister Miracle trying to bring the conflict out of Earth, by accident our Japanese-American main character got into a boom tube and he was transported into another planet and another galaxy, New Genesis. Our human character will have to joined alongside the people of New Genesis to fight a war/conflict against Darkseid's armies/fleets and end the eternal war that ravage both planets.

And yep, the anime will have Mister Miracle, Orion, Barda, Bekka, Highfather, Forager, Lightray, Kalibak, DeSaad, Steppenwolf, Granny Goodness, Kanto, The Female Furies, and of course Darkseid. I want to use Aura Battler Dunbine as an influence for a New Gods/Fourth World Isekai anime and throw in Star Wars inspiration (which is ironic because it was said that Star Wars was influenced by Jack Kirby's New Gods/Fourth World)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I will also say I felt a lot of the villain redesigns (and making them more tech-based) was kind of weak, especially when if you're going to go anime-esque, you may as well go hard on the designs.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:49 pm Reply with quote
vorkedlarfleeze wrote:

Realistically speaking, what other direction is there to go for a kids show in TV these days? Yeah, we had Bruce Timm's take back in the 90s and that Legion of Superheroes version in the 2000s but action cartoons are just not really a thing anymore so making a more light-heated and soft Superman cartoon is about the only option they have outside another outright zany comedy like Teen Titans.

I'm not really a fan of it and find it such a huge departure from the established characters especially this version of Lois and Jimmy. But I find it really odd this is airing on Adult Swim. It feels like it should be on daytime Cartoon Network along with Teen Titans Go. Then again Adult Swim is also airing old Cartoon Network shows as well so I guess either the Adult part is no longer accurate or standards have become so strict that kids shows from the late 90s and early 2000s have content that are now deemed adults only.

The complete collapse of Western action animation to the point “anime” is a colloquial term for any action animation these days is going to need to be studied. We got a legion of writers who don’t want to write toy centric or young male targeted stuff unless it’s comedies. Maybe they just think that demographic is more likely to watch the movies? I don’t view it as an East vs West thing, but it feels like something has changed with the economics or the writers. Look at Transformers. The latest tv show, Earthspark, is heavy on family and slice of life elements, but is viewed as something of a merchandising flop. I guess the idea is that the boy demo would be more likely to watch the movies.

I mean, Batman: Caped Crusader which is coming up is a straight action show, so yes, there would likely be a market for a well done Superman cartoon in the vein of the Bruce Timm stuff. As it stands, this show has one more season and then Gunn is pivoting his animation to tie-in material like Creature Commandos.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Had the Snyderverse continued I have no doubt we'd see a more idealistic Superman. The Snyder movies worked on the premise that if a super powered alien suddenly showed up, they'd be met with fear and paranoia. Which is 100% true. It wasn't until after he 'died' that the people realized he was the real deal and began to idolize him.

Here’s the problem even if that had happened it still wouldn’t wash away the problem of Zod causing considerable destruction in Man Of Steel, Which we found in BvS there’s a significant portion of earth’s populace that mistrusts Kal El for what Zod did eventhough Kal El spent that brief time (off screen) trying to make up for it. He dies in a battle which I don’t think hardly anyone saw like the Battle with Zod and now all of sudden the people who hated him now trust him?

When Superman died in the original comics he had spent years in universe (and real life) becoming a bastion of hope and humanity which made his death hit harder. BvS cut down on all of that for bullshit setup leading to not having a strong an effect,

irenatheunicorn wrote:
They've only relatively recently matured and moved beyond female heroes being sex objects for teenage boys to drool over.

If that’s truly the case why for example have Spider-Man fans been so insistent on seeing Peter & Mary Jane go back to being married in the main comics seemingly under the pretense that Mary Jane doesn’t amount to much unless she’s in a married relationship with Peter?

With some of the writers of the comics and even TV shows not really helping this perception of her character.

irenatheunicorn wrote:
No need to regress back to the dark ages.

You say this as if Marvel’s not about to run a major “another” storyline involving Carnage 3 plus decades after Maximum Carnage. Whereas Joker is about to return to the Batman comics to do who knows what to Batman’s inner circle,

Beatdigga wrote:
That's apparently by design, the writers were adamant that Superman not fight magic-using villains.

That would make sense as Superman is notoriously ineffective/weak to anyone using magic

[quote="rudhy"]have been a much more compelling and creative decision for Snyder to have Superman and the Kents retain their good qualities from the traditional comics despite the world treating them horribly, but I guess Snyder doesn't have the creative ability to pull it off.

The issue wasn’t that he couldn’t pull it off. What you’re suggesting they should’ve done is something that most depictions of Superman have traditionally and almost always done with the character when adapted or retold.

In other words it’s likely Snyder didn’t do that because of the redundancy not because he’s a hack or he “hates the character”.

rudhy wrote:
What would be even more compelling would be if a movie director and screenwriter were to give us a version of Batman that isn't influenced by The Dark Knight

Think you meant Killing Joke since as All Star Batman demonstrated not everyone enjoys Frank Miller’s interpretation of Batman & his universe.

Wyvern wrote:
Yeah, but all those projects combined are less well-known than the (terrible) Snyderverse movies.

Less well known?

Almost Everyone knows about the New 52 for the same reason people know about the Snyder films in that it became wildly divisive and while DC didn’t decide to retcon it like what’s happening with the DCU they did do some janky shit with the Superman comics to essentially make him like what he was pre New 52.

Also pretty sure people know about Superman the Animated Series/Justice League/Justice Unlimited.

Snomaster1 wrote:
In this version,he looks like came off the set of "Inuyasha" or "Dragon Ball." Why do that? I had no problem with the earlier versions of the character. Why change him from an annoying,interdimensional imp to looking like an unused "Inuyasha" character?

To make him actually look unique?

By usual standards Mxyzptlk is basically depicted as a balding or bald dwarf/little person who looks like a human despite being a reality warped whose most decidedly not from earth let alone our dimension.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:58 am; edited 3 times in total
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:41 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I mean, Batman: Caped Crusader which is coming up is a straight action show, so yes, there would likely be a market for a well done Superman cartoon in the vein of the Bruce Timm stuff. As it stands, this show has one more season and then Gunn is pivoting his animation to tie-in material like Creature Commandos.

i hadnt heard about that, so thanks for the heads up! I went and did a quick look, and the pedigree of creators is amazing. ALso Kevin Conroys last run as Batman! Sad
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
IWhat shocked me was this version of Mr. Mxyzptlk. I thought it was going to be like an anime of some of the previous depictions of this character. You know,the yellow jumpsuit,blue-green derby. He basically looked like a futuristic version of an imp.

In this version,he looks like came off the set of "Inuyasha" or "Dragon Ball." Why do that?

I'm pretty sure it's revealed or at least heavily implied in the comics (not sure which one exactly) that every version you see of Mxyzptlk is in fact the same being, and his appearance just changes to fit the universe he's currently in. So in an anime-inspired universe, it makes sense that his design would be more anime-inspired as well.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Look at Transformers. The latest tv show, Earthspark, is heavy on family and slice of life elements, but is viewed as something of a merchandising flop. I guess the idea is that the boy demo would be more likely to watch the movies

Earthspark did not look good at all IMO but then I also feel like there hasn't been a good Transformers series since Animated. Prime was alright, but had issues.

I always assumed the general consensus was writers and studios just kind of gave up trying action animation and let anime have that market because it was too much work to fight against modern standards and practices. Plus it was cheaper to just license and dub anime which was the big thing during the 2000s and something American animators kind of made comments about. on the decline of American animation as well.

I know people trashed on the Kevin Smith He-Man series for adults, but even the kid- focused one didn't seem to do much better. Both their toy lines kind of just.. died. Toys sales seem to be down all around and since action cartoons were made to sell toys then there's not much point to them anymore probably.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually the He-Man Masterverse and Origins lines are both doing solid numbers, and continue to be in production. Also for all the crap he got, I LOVED Revelation and think Kevin nailed it. And even the Revelation haters seem to be enjoying Revolution.

For Transformers i quite like Cyberverse and I like Earthspark, though i agree Animated is the last GREAT TF series. It is, in fact, my favorite one. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3