• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation App Shuts Down on April 2 as Its Accounts Merge With Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord_of_Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
So I have a Funimation account but not a crunchyroll account, from what I am reading or seeing that if I create a crunchyroll account with all of the same credentials that I used to make my Funimation account I can merge the two accounts together to where they will only be the one crunchyroll account and my entire queue and everything will stay close to the same right? I am trying to get some clarification before I go forward and create a account on crunchyroll, I had a feeling that this was going to happen sooner or later but I was kinda hoping that the people at Funimation would have sent something to people to transfer all account's from there site to a crunchyroll site unless that is what this is supposed to be but you have to create the crunchyroll account before you can link/transfer your account from the Funimation site. So if anyone can give me some more information that would be great thanks in advance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
Lord_of_Geo wrote:
So I have a Funimation account but not a crunchyroll account, from what I am reading or seeing that if I create a crunchyroll account with all of the same credentials that I used to make my Funimation account I can merge the two accounts together to where they will only be the one crunchyroll account and my entire queue and everything will stay close to the same right? I am trying to get some clarification before I go forward and create a account on crunchyroll, I had a feeling that this was going to happen sooner or later but I was kinda hoping that the people at Funimation would have sent something to people to transfer all account's from there site to a crunchyroll site unless that is what this is supposed to be but you have to create the crunchyroll account before you can link/transfer your account from the Funimation site. So if anyone can give me some more information that would be great thanks in advance.

If you have accounts using the same e-mail address then the two should be merged together without any problems... but it should be pointed out that Crunchyroll said the exact same thing in regards to Right Stuf & the Crunchyroll Store. CR has been so bad at merging those accounts together that Nozomi actually had to apologize for assuming that it was already done for one of their Dirty Pair Kickstarter updates, and even now I don't think much of anything has been done about those account mergers.

Also, nice name.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
I hope ANN can get some sort of comment from Crunchyroll about the titles that still haven’t moved from the Funi app.
GeorgH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Titles that're over 10 years old, like Rosario+Vampire, predate Funi's simulcasting system. So if they made it to CR, the only version Funi had would be the home-video masters.

What's with slightly newer titles, that didn't get a Simulcast on Crunchyroll but a Funimation Blu-ray prior to fall 2016?

For the record:
Some titles that were mentioned here are actually streaming on Crunchyroll in the UK or other territories, but most aren't.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
I bet the FTC would love a do-over on this.

Everything about the Funi-CR merger and the RightStuf takeover has been bungled and has ended with consumers losing. Paid for Got Anime? Tough. Did you like paying a reasonable amount for Funimation? Too bad.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
IIRC, Funimation’s concept of a “digital copy” wasn’t a download like you typically get from major studio movies, right? It was more that you’d have the ability to stream that one title from funimation.com, even if you didn’t otherwise subscribe to Funimation’s streaming service. Still an awful way to treat customers, of course.

I think so. My friend who didn't have a subscription was able to claim those codes no problem. When I tried to do it, it kept giving me error messages. I had one or two older titles with an Ultraviolet code, and that worked. All I could figure was that it was like you said. Kind of a lousy way to do it considering the reasonable assumption is it worked like movies sold with digital copies, and since the whole thing is closed, those digital copies don't mean anything.
I suppose it isn't surprising. We already saw with movies in Europe and tv shows belonging to Discovery that buying something digitally doesn't mean you get to keep it as far as Sony is concerned. All I can say to that logic is that if buying isn't ownership, then maybe piracy isn't stealing.

I saw the message about migrating the history etc. last night when I went to watch some stuff, and my first thought was that they talked about doing this a year or two ago. I went ahead and used the QR code, but my Funimation watch history is useless at this point since I finished anything that I was watching when it moved over, and ended up using my own list to keep track of series and episode.

Lord Geo wrote:
Lord_of_Geo wrote:

If you have accounts using the same e-mail address then the two should be merged together without any problems... but it should be pointed out that Crunchyroll said the exact same thing in regards to Right Stuf & the Crunchyroll Store. CR has been so bad at merging those accounts together that Nozomi actually had to apologize for assuming that it was already done for one of their Dirty Pair Kickstarter updates, and even now I don't think much of anything has been done about those account mergers.

Yeah, I don't think any of that is going like they said, sort of like the FUnimation app merger. I know that if I want to check on older orders, I have to use a link on the CR store that take me over to a Right Stuf page. I know they want to have uniform branding, but if something as basic as checking on an order still has to be managed like that, then maybe idea people had of going with "Right Stuf powered by Crunchyroll" was the way to go.
Essedess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Funimation had the WORST encodes out of all services, when it began. Yellow hardsubs, terrible bitrate and the wrong color setting, making their stuff look hideous. I remember trying to watch Assassination Classroom from them. The black scenes were unwatchable because of the wrong color space. They never learned to encode.
sarusa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's astounding how every single thing the Crunchyroll brand has bought/absorbed/steamrolled has become objectively worse. If they were actively trying to screw over customers and nothing else, they couldn't have asked for better results.

Worth remembering that Crunchyroll started as a double pirate site - they stole free fansubs that fan sub groups were doing (without their permission) and sold those to people who didn't know any better. Eventually they got big enough and went 'legit', but yes, they have been screwing people their entire existence.

Also, this whole thing just proves again that torrenting is the superior customer experience.
Zefram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen CR price gouging starting next year? From 54.99$ per year to $99.99 per year? That's almost twice as expensive!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I only paid for a few months of Funimation, and that was many years ago. So I can't say that this bothers me personally. But, I do feel for the people who preferred Funimation to CR.
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Outlaw Star (sub/dub)
The show is on CR, it's the dub that is absent.
Top Gun wrote:
Also, this whole thing just proves again that torrenting is the superior customer experience.
If it is not available for streaming, then sure. But honestly, I would rather stream a show, or own it on Blu-ray if I plan on rewatching it, than have to go through the hassle of downloading it and then converting it to be compatible with my TV. And even then I might get visual glitches or subpar video quality.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
Have you seen CR price gouging starting next year? From 54.99$ per year to $99.99 per year? That's almost twice as expensive!

Not exactly what is happening there. The grandfathered Funimation prices are ending and everyone is going onto the existing Crunchyroll prices. If you already have a Crunchyroll subscription, then there isn't a price change. It's definitely a jump, and enough to make anyone have to think about it, but also not surprising that they aren't going to run two different prices after this.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I also won't be surprised if in another few months Crunchyroll joins the rest of the streaming apps in offering a cheaper plan that comes with annoying ads.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It's truly a testament to capitalism how in less than 20 years you can go from being a pirate site to being such a dominant force in the industry that you can just kill your closest competitor, double your prices, and nobody else can do anything about it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
It's truly a testament to capitalism how in less than 20 years you can go from being a pirate site to being such a dominant force in the industry that you can just kill your closest competitor, double your prices, and nobody else can do anything about it.
Yet I constantly see people arguing HiDive is the scum of the Earth and should be shut down next.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I also won't be surprised if in another few months Crunchyroll joins the rest of the streaming apps in offering a cheaper plan that comes with annoying ads.

They offer free viewership with ads.

The "oh, they were pirates" argument is a bit tiring, too. Now they are not and the Japanese studios are more than happy to sign with them. Deal with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6