×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series Wins at 2024 Writers Guild Awards




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 15333
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 am Reply with quote
Luke Cage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
funkfoot



Joined: 22 Feb 2023
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:53 am Reply with quote
Children's Episodic? It was a kids show? Is that why it's competition was Disney+ stuff like Goosebumps and Percy Jackson?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 7346
Location: Maine
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 am Reply with quote
A win's a win, but it does make me laugh that it won in the children's category. Yeah, it's kid friendly but I think of it more as a family show.

Emerje


Last edited by Emerje on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
<('_')^



Joined: 20 Oct 2023
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
Anime can't even escape the "children's show" allegations even in high budget live action adaptations. Smh. Imagine if the MCU shows were put in the children's category.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mushrinku



Joined: 09 Mar 2022
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:
Anime can't even escape the "children's show" allegations even in high budget live action adaptations. Smh. Imagine if the MCU shows were put in the children's category.


whether MCU shows are put in the children's category or not, they are still shows for children/teenagers as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 5974
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:
Anime can't even escape the "children's show" allegations even in high budget live action adaptations. Smh. Imagine if the MCU shows were put in the children's category.


The source material literally runs in a magazine for adolescents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wack Sage



Joined: 11 Nov 2023
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The source material literally runs in a magazine for adolescents.


Yeah but they usually cut a lot of the "juvenile" stuff out in live-action adaptions. They wanted to make it a mature show for adults and not be a silly comic book series/movie. They even added in swearing so that's how you know it definitely wasn't for kids. That's why it's funny it still got labeled as a kids show despite going through all those lengths to try to shed that label.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hagaren Viper



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Good for One Piece honestly, but American children's shows tend to not drop F bombs, ha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
<('_')^ wrote:
Anime can't even escape the "children's show" allegations even in high budget live action adaptations. Smh. Imagine if the MCU shows were put in the children's category.


The source material literally runs in a magazine for adolescents.

In a magazine for adolescents that many times published mature content that were either extremely gory, borderline pornographic, or both combined.

That doesn't really make that good of an argument, to be honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 11479
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure it quite fit in the category, but congratulations nevertheless!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 4867
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series was nominated for Best Hair Styling in the Children and Teen Television Programming category for the 11th annual MUAHS Awards, but did not win.
I enjoyed the live action One Piece more than I thought I would but I don't know who actually liked any of those wigs they used.

Quote:
Yeah but they usually cut a lot of the "juvenile" stuff out in live-action adaptions. They wanted to make it a mature show for adults and not be a silly comic book series/movie. They even added in swearing so that's how you know it definitely wasn't for kids. That's why it's funny it still got labeled as a kids show despite going through all those lengths to try to shed that label.
It's TV14 on Netflix. It's hardly The Sopranos or Game of Thrones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meexa



Joined: 13 Mar 2016
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
<('_')^ wrote:
Anime can't even escape the "children's show" allegations even in high budget live action adaptations. Smh. Imagine if the MCU shows were put in the children's category.


The source material literally runs in a magazine for adolescents.

In a magazine for adolescents that many times published mature content that were either extremely gory, borderline pornographic, or both combined.

That doesn't really make that good of an argument, to be honest.


Yeah, I think I have to takes danpmss and <('_')^ side on this. These classifications really aren't that consistent and are more for marketing anyways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avec ou Nous



Joined: 17 Feb 2023
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
In a magazine for adolescents that many times published mature content that were either extremely gory, borderline pornographic, or both combined.


What constitutes being appropriate for kids in Japan is much different than in America. That doesn't mean it's still not aimed at kids though. That being said I will say talking about the manga or even the anime is irrelevant since this is based on the Netflix live-action series which was going for a different tone, style, and audience than the original so what applies to the original manga has no baring here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
danpmss wrote:
In a magazine for adolescents that many times published mature content that were either extremely gory, borderline pornographic, or both combined.


What constitutes being appropriate for kids in Japan is much different than in America. That doesn't mean it's still not aimed at kids though. That being said I will say talking about the manga or even the anime is irrelevant since this is based on the Netflix live-action series which was going for a different tone, style, and audience than the original so what applies to the original manga has no baring here.


Yeah, no, not really. They are actually more conservative in a lot of particularities.
And Jump has had an enormous amount of controversies in Japan regarding the content of their manga ever since the 60s (because Go Nagai is who he is).

So no, not even in Japan those things are appropriate in the slightest, but the legislation and bills usually go light on fiction in general (exception being stuff like Aki Sora, and even then it was seen negatively by so many figures on the industry that the bill basically got ignored ever since they removed that one from circulation, as many other manga that did the same but even more hardcore are being published without problems to this day).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group