• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wandering Son GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Fantagraphics and Matt Thorn continue to amaze me. The book is beautiful in both packaging, translation, and the story itself, and I love the matte finish to the colored pages (gloss in general doesn't click with me). The price seems to fit just right for such an effort. I am eager to buy the second volume when (or to be pessimistic like in the character introduction, if) it is available. I heard the story gets a bit out of hand with the number of characters and plots and doesn't maintain a strong focus later on, but I doubt it will be the case for the next few volumes. Even when (or if) Fantagraphics reaches that far into the manga volumes, I'm sure I will continue to love the characters like I did in this volume and the anime.

I wish for Wandering Son to continue finding success.

Last edited by darkhappy1 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's all true; I have to say this is the most realistic simulation of real people I've ever seen in a manga, but I think this creates the problem that it's kind of boring, just like real life. I started getting restless that things like the protagonist getting that dress as a birthday gift didn't go into a dramatically-weighted direction, but was just something that happened. I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading it after several chapters.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Matt Thorn, Wandering Son v.1 p. iii wrote:

Retention of Japanese honorifics without good reason seems to me to be an affectation intended to make self-described otaku feel part of an exclusive club that understands, for example, what "-chan" means.
(his italics)

I think he italicized otaku because it's a foreign word, not to add (presumably derisive) emphasis to it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I am actually surprised this was picked up state side.. hmm 20 dollars for volume is it around 200 pages or 400 pages?? On them acting adult like well kids in japan tend to act/grow up faster than children here or that's the vibe I get from most people I talk to online, then again I might be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a really interesting manga. The subject is very intriguing to me as something that I don't quite comprehend; I understand in simple, dry terms what it is and its depressingly easy to grasp how it could make a life harder to live, but I lack a sense of its significance. Wandering Son might be illuminating and it should be at least engaging to read. Just the scenario that was described in the review made me curious enough to want to read it. That the children behave unrealistically mature does impair verisimilitude and I've thought in the past that abnormally mature children who never show the ineluctable limitations of their age weaken the effect of a work, but on the other hand, children annoy me and I don't like to be around them, so its a worthwhile sacrifice of accuracy.

The price is high relative to usual prices, but I gather that the package presented more or less merits the cost. Besides, it seems like it's worth it.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the high price of the book has a bit to do with the unique subject material. If it was released as a standard manga it would turn less of a profit per volume sold and selling it at $8.99 would not increase the number of volumes sold because it is only of interest to those willing to buy such a niche title. Everyone interested in the title will be willing to buy it so make a much more presentable product, that stands out.

In other words, for everyone interested in buying it, price is not an obstacle. In turn we get a book that is special in both content and appearance. Overall it's a good marketing tactic.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Yeah, it's all true; I have to say this is the most realistic simulation of real people I've ever seen in a manga, but I think this creates the problem that it's kind of boring, just like real life.

You're right - it's a bit like A Bride's Story in that respect. That ties in with Past's marketing strategy theory pretty nicely, actually. Both this and Mori's series are clearly not going to be for everyone, so a higher price caters to their target audience. And damn if it doesn't look awesome on my shelf.

Fronzel wrote:
I think he italicized otaku because it's a foreign word, not to add (presumably derisive) emphasis to it.

Absolutely. I'm in academia in my non-manga life, so it's gotten kind of ingrained in me to note stuff like that when I quote.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Volume 2 is available for pre-order from FantaGraphics Books as well now. Planned release date is November 2011.
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to point out that as someone who lived in Japan, around the Tokyo/Saitama area, it was not all that uncommon to see children around the ages of the characters in this manga to be out and about on their own. So I don't think you can attribute wondering on their own as heightened maturity for their age but rather it should be noted as a cultural difference.

I really want to pick up this series but currently can't afford to. But it's on my 'to buy' list for when I can.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Volume 2 is available for pre-order from FantaGraphics Books as well now. Planned release date is November 2011.

huh that's the month i was born in.. well I know what I will be getting myself for my b-day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I bought this at my local comic shop after watching and loving the anime, I think it's really good so far, and I'm hoping that sales will be high enough that it might encourage a u.s./u.k. release of the anime on DVD along with the manga and anime versions of Aoi Hana.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2