• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse and Broccoli Books Move to Diamond

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Diamond has a monopoly of the comic book business in North America; hearing them get even more consolidated business is really irritating. -.-

Why did PGW go bankrupt?
ATKokmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Diamond has a monopoly of the comic book business in North America; hearing them get even more consolidated business is really irritating. -.-

For the sake of clarification, Diamond has two different businesses.

One, Diamond Comic Distributors, deals with wholesaling products to comic book stores. In that business, it is by far the dominant player.

The other, Diamond Book Distributors, deals with distributing book products into traditional bookstores and libraries. Diamond is nowhere near as dominant or monopolistic an entity in the world of traditional book distribution.

This may seem like a nitpick, but it is, I think, a distinction worth keeping in mind.

Quote:
Why did PGW go bankrupt?

"Why" is one of those questions that may never be answerable to anyone's degree of satisfaction. But PGW was a division of a larger wholesaling company called Advanced Marketing Services (AMS). It's AMS that filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2006 when it's primary loan was not extended and when it could not secure other financing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1