• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 6 Most-Abused Anime Protagonists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
I would put Kyon and Sagara Souske on the list as well.

Kyon gets dragged around by Haruhi all the time and has to put up with her whims if he wants the universe to stay intact. I've never seen a character who facepalms as much as he does.

Souske too tries his best to guard Kaname but ends up eating her knuckle sandwich every time he messes up. He also has to listen to Testarossa's commands back on the Sub.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
I hated on Dokuro-chan the first time I saw it, but the more I think about it, the more the show comes across as a satirical comment on shows like Love Hina or Zero no Tsukaima. It's like it's saying "Do you think it's funny now, asshole? WELL, DO YOU?!"
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Good choices for the list of abused characters, especially No. 1. The poor guy spews geysers of blood, and all for something he might do in the future.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
I wanted to vote for Blood Chip from Kara no Kyoukai, but it's not an option...
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice list. Although I might have included Sota from Working!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So glad Saito made it onto this list. He and Louise make a cute couple most of the time, but still... Yeeowch. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
The poor guy spews geysers of blood...

Only during the time he sees Dokuro naked or flashing panties, which pales to the blood-letting of being beaten with the club.
Twisted Evil

I'm just glad a tsundere didn't take the #1 spot. That would have been... cliched.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
This is no doubt my favorite piece at ANN. The talkback alone keeps me coming back (though the article is also enjoyable).

Quote:
I would put Kyon and Sagara Souske on the list as well.

Mikuru is the abused one, not Kyon. Sure, he gets dragged around, but it's not like Haruhi has him a leash or hits him. Compared to everyone else on the list who is actually physically abused, Kyon just doesn't belong. Sagara I get, especially from Fumoffu. I don't think he gets a ton of punishment from the other two installments, but Fumoffu more than makes up for that.

My choices:

Carrot Glace from Sorcerer Hunters would've been a good choice. Dude turns into a giant monster when he comes in contact with magic, and the only way to turn him back is for him to literally be whipped back by his two dominatrix wannabe friends.

You Satou from this seasons Ben-to probably would've placed second if it was completed. It's understandable that he'd take a few fists and kicks to the face when he's brawling for bento, but Ume is a psychobitch that just pummels him for little reason. Oh, wait, he breathes the same as Hana, that's enough reason to intimidate, ridicule, and beat the shit out of him.

Haruo from Magikano takes hammers (plural) to the head every time he accidentally discovers people around him using magic. That's brutal considering he sees it often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
One I'd add.

Taro Sado from MM!
Even though he enjoys it (at least most of the time) he's still abused to hell and gone thoughout the entire series.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Y'know, I've heard of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, and I figured it would be a bloody show, but I never actually learned what the premise of the show was until now.

Shocked

I... am both really disturbed and intrigued. I will probably never watch this show, but if I do it would be to sate my curiosity.

As for other abused characters, Inuyasha could also fit with all the "Sits" he went through during the course of the series. Smile Of course, the fact that he was a hanyou made him the target of a lot of hate growing up, including from his brother Sesshoumaru. And then the first woman he loves nails him to a tree and tries to drag him to hell with her right after she's revived.

Oh man, several Rumiko Takahashi characters would fit this list (I think you captured what is probably the best example).

Oooh, as another list later on, how about the "Top # Most Tragic Characters"? Or "Top # Characters Who Got the Raw End of the Deal"? Those characters who are constantly just crapped upon. And then have Justin fill out the list since he seems to enjoy those kinds of series. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Lets see, Mr Pedro, Excel ( who was killed more than a dozen times and brought back to life by the universe) both on Excel Saga, Sunohara from Clannad ( even though he deserves it about half the time), Team Rocket from Pokemon ( Half the time they didn't even do anything wrong yet they're still blasted off), Ms. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh ( She's bitten by a cat about every episode), and thats about it. If I think of some more I'll be back. Smile
Red Claw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I nominate Ganta Igarashi from Deadman Wonderland. The poor kid has his whole class murdered in front of him, gets framed for the crime, gets sent to an insane carnival-style prison, is forced to compete in violent games against other inmates for audience amusement and, naturally, he gets beat up. A lot.
Red Claw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Y'know, I've heard of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, and I figured it would be a bloody show, but I never actually learned what the premise of the show was until now.

Shocked

I... am both really disturbed and intrigued. I will probably never watch this show, but if I do it would be to sate my curiosity.

It's definitely worth a watch. It's one of those shows that's so stupid I can't help but love it. Gotta love Wendee Lee voicing a homicidal angel from the future Laughing
shadow13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion didn't make the list?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
All six in the list were "abused" in comedic, light-hearted ways. Check out Shu from Now and Then, Here and There for some really horrible, terrifying experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5