• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lucky ☆ Star!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I dunno...there's lots of reasons to be skeptical of that announcement, as there are a few signs pointing to it being a hoax.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What a strange thing to do. I wonder if it will be greatly different after episode 4.(assuming it is not a hoax).
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that this was all preplanned, considering that they're probably almost done animating the series by now.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I have a feeling that this was all preplanned, considering that they're probably almost done animating the series by now.

I doubt it. I really don't think Yamamoto would agree in advance to step down halfway through, especially considering the rather blunt reason given by KyoAni for his departure. I mean, what would he say?

"Yes, I hereby agree to step down in the middle of this series, thereby destroying a great chance I had in establishing myself as a much more prolific and celebrated director, appearing to the public as a half-assed amateur who can't even handle a 4-komi adaptation, and handing the damn thing over to that Fumoffu guy."

I think not.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
I smell a parody of the Gainax debacle.

Maybe they're taking this "referencing" thing a little too far. Razz
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4, at around 12:35, Konata points out the spoiler[freeze-frames of Nagato Yuki in Episode 9 of Suzumiya Haruhi to reduce cost.]

Interestingly enough, KyoAni is defaming themselves. Guess they put an end to the myth we had dearly held onto that KyoAni never does wrong and never does such horrid things as use cheap animation tricks to save cost, eh...

And KyoAni seems to love to pile Shuffle! references, even though Tomokazu Sugita isn't even in the production and Yuuko Gotou plays a very minor role.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 4 episodes yesturday and I have to say, wow. It really does have the elements of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I like the OP where they're all dancing especially with them all as cheerleaders. I looked on youTube and happened to find people imitating the same dance as they would for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I liked the fact that they put some of the work that Kyoto Animation also produced like Shuffle!, Full Metal Panic!, and Welcome to the NHK. I found some of the conversations quiet interesting and some-what informative. I hope they continue making the series, it kinda reminds me of Today in Class 5-2 but without all the panty shots and stuff.

Also I love the fact that Konata Izumi looks like Shana from "Shakugan No Shana~! :3
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Konata Izumi looks like Shana from "Shakugan No Shana~! :3

No, she looks like Mikan from Manabi Straight. :3
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh? I don't believe that KyoAni made Shuffle! or Welcome to the NHK, and I know that they didn't make FMP!(Maybe you meant Fummofu? and TSR). This is the one show for which I actually find it difficult to wait for the next episode. How can it be five more days to the next episode?
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nom_Anor wrote:
Huh? I don't believe that KyoAni made Shuffle! or Welcome to the NHK, and I know that they didn't make FMP!(Maybe you meant Fummofu? and TSR). This is the one show for which I actually find it difficult to wait for the next episode. How can it be five more days to the next episode?

Ya your probably right since my knowledge of the "makers" of the anime are limited. All I know they took some stuff from those shows and put it into one crazy filled show that all fans are dying to see.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Nom_Anor wrote:
Huh? I don't believe that KyoAni made Shuffle! or Welcome to the NHK,

They didn't, but all those references (as well as Sgt. Frog) are published by Kadokawa Publishing, who also publishes Lucky Star.

Last edited by Nobuyuki on Sat May 05, 2007 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
lady_youko

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I saw this at our anime club's year end marathon and was not impressed. Coupla days later one of my friends sends me the youtube video of the OP.

Can you say instant crack?

I watched it over and over again so much that I had to give the actual show a chance. I did. Its not fall over funny like School Rumble (sorry Haruhi I didn't find you that funny.)Then again Azumanga Diaoh never made me laugh once... But there is something innately humorous about this show that keeps me watching.

I could related to Konata's studying habits to the point where I felt that KyoAni had done a lobatamy (sp?) on me. Tsukasa is incredibly adorable, and the other two I feel don't have much of a presence yet. Lucky Channel is amazing and highly entertaining and one of Lucky Star's main selling points. Awesome stuff.

I highly look forward to cosplay groups trying to imitate the OP for this years anime conventions.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 5....wow, has anyone found this episode far more amusing than the previous ones? Probably it's because of the director change or maybe they kept up with the MMORPG gag and actually succeeded. The inclusion of Cousin Yui might bring in interesting prospects as well. Gah, there were so many slick yet funny moments!

spoiler[And the end credits featured Konota singing the original Dragon Ball Z opening! Laughing ]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first four episodes of this series. I'm now wondering why I didn't stop after two. I prefer humor in my comedy. There were moments that caused me to smile, but mostly I was just bored. The color pallet struck me as a little garish. As for the opening dance number, my initial reaction was actually to recoil from it. I've since come to like it somewhat, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something inherently wrong about it.

My biggest dislike about the series is how disconnected it seems. One joke finishes, and then scene changes and its a new joke. I don't feel like I'm watch a show, I feel like I'm watching an animated version of the sunday comics.
DMAN2501

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
lady_youko wrote:
I saw this at our anime club's year end marathon and was not impressed. Coupla days later one of my friends sends me the youtube video of the OP.
Can you say instant crack?

Actually check out youtube now. The opening is one of the top 10 most viewed videos on the site, has been for the past 2 weeks now on and off. So yes, Instant crack....for the masses!!

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
My biggest dislike about the series is how disconnected it seems. One joke finishes, and then scene changes and its a new joke. I don't feel like I'm watch a show, I feel like I'm watching an animated version of the sunday comics.

Well, the series is based on a elongated comic strip, so it basically is the sunday funnies. However the series lacks one thing that the comic strip has...some amount of humor. The first few episodes are definatly lacking. They go for a shotgun comedy approch, but end up shooting blanks. The series could redeem itself, and the fact that the design of the show is open ended they could run with it for years if they wanted to. However, first they need to make it funny to make it successful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 31