• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Directs Japanese Dub of Danish Puppet Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow so this is what Anno doing with his time, and here I was thinking he was working on Macross: Do you remember love 2..... I am actually exciting to see this after reading a little bit about it.
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Strings was a fantastic movie. It's been out on dvd for quite some time and I highly reccomend picking it up.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow so this is what Anno doing with his time, and here I was thinking he was working on Macross: Do you remember love 2..... I am actually exciting to see this after reading a little bit about it.
Same here, except that I thought he was putting full effort on the new Evangelion movies. Looks like I'm going to check out Strings! Sounds interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsukae

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
omg i hope he isn't spending to much time on side things. I expect the Evangelion Rebuild to be able to make up for Evangelions unsatisfying endings.
rayechu

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
I must respectfully disagree with Reikijenosaido. I loved the first 20-some minutes of Strings and then there was puppetsex and I was done. Nothing could be taken seriously after that.
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
rayechu wrote:
I must respectfully disagree with Reikijenosaido. I loved the first 20-some minutes of Strings and then there was puppetsex and I was done. Nothing could be taken seriously after that.

Must be a cultural thing for you. Japan has a long history of puppet theater called "Bunraku", which has been around since the 1600s.

Dunno whether there's puppetsex, but Bunraku usually adapts Kabuki plays, which is full of dramatic, romantic tales of love and war. I'm guessing that's why Strings appeals to Anno, and why Anno thinks he can sell it to Japanese audiences.
rayechu

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I would have been fine with the puppetsex if it wasn't completely laughable. My friend and I watched it together and we burst out laughing at the exact same moment, so I know it is not just me. I was also disappointed in the ending, as I felt like I was watching the Lion King sequel all over again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1