• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Sells Sailor Moon Bootleg as "Official Boxset"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logboy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
has anyone noticed the recent addition of 'battle royale' on DVD also... the listing says starmax (the company who issued it in korea) but as far as i know there's no american arm of the company, no reasons for someones private sales of a title via amazon.com's shops to appear to be an "official release" for the films in america, which still hasn't actually been arranged. to the best of my knowledge it hasn't anyway.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
So I take it that Amazon DOES sell bootleg material in the marketplace, then? (And am I right that the marketplace is the place I go to when I click "New & Used for $$"?) If so, then I'm pretty sure the .hack//SIGN boxset I bought was a bootleg. And if THAT'S true, then from what I heard, it's a pretty DANG GOOD bootleg.

Reasons for why it may be a bootleg: Packaging is not the type I'm used to seeing. Entire series is on three disks. Japanese with subs is the default language setting. The silent "Real Life" scenes do not include english subs under the Japanese ones. (Though I haven't checked yet to see if the subbed setting has them.) Packaging not excellent quality, but decent. "Extras" Takes you right to a trailer. Was insanely cheap.

However, it is good in the sense that it has English, Japanese, and Isolated Score tracks, Japanese Subs that don't appear to be insanely terrible as I've heard with some subs, and other general things that just make good DVDs... So I'm pretty happy with it and am not likely to replace it, especially if I have to pay more to do so. However, I AM upset that it's probably a bootleg... At the time, I had no idea that Amazon would sell bootlegs, even in their marketplace. *Shrug* Go figure.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon isn't the only anime bootleg I've found on Amazon. I'm sure there are others, if some more digging was done.

It sucks, because you used to be able to count on Amazon (outside the marketplace, of course) for that kind of thing. It's awful that unsuspecting people are buying boots straight from amazon itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
So I take it that Amazon DOES sell bootleg material in the marketplace, then? (And am I right that the marketplace is the place I go to when I click "New & Used for $$"?) If so, then I'm pretty sure the .hack//SIGN boxset I bought was a bootleg. And if THAT'S true, then from what I heard, it's a pretty DANG GOOD bootleg.

Yes the marketplace has been known to sell bootlegs and most of the time they are, whereas Amazon used to have a reputation of not selling bootleg items the marketplace is basically nothing but bootlegs. That why the this sailor moon dvd is pretty shocking seeing as how it's being sold by Amazon.

Also I must say if you want to show your support of the industry leave a review and tell everyone that this is a bootleg like most of us have done already.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I stopped using Amazon this year. The main reason was the Deathnote Movies Boxset. I live in Region 3, and I went online to check reviews of the movie before I went to purchase it. I noticed that their price tag was $70! For everyone's information, that is about 220% of the full-price retail value. I was appalled. If I'm going to buy bootlegs and imports, I'll do it through e-bay, which actually has a good system of customer feedback! Plus, their shipments to foreign countries are a lot more reasonably priced.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
say it was posted at Digg, maybe getting those geeks on the job will help

http://digg.com/television/Amazon_com_Caught_Selling_Bootleg_DVD
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Amazon is overpriced for bootlegs. I am surprised anyone buys the bootlegs from Amazon. Even this Sailor Moon set which they are listing for $70 has a retail price of only $45, and most places that sell the bootlegs sell it for either $35 or $40.

The Amazon Marketplace I would have expected to find bootlegs. Amazon itself - no I wouldnt have. But you never know. They could have been contacted by a distributor that just says "we have anime" and that would have been it - they just sell everything they get.

As far as the text saying "Official Release" that is probably exactly the text they got from their distributors for the product. You cant blame them for that.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Regardless, Amazon should check the people they are purchasing their products from. I'm sure they have the resources to do so.

It's already touch and go on the marketplace, and now this. That does it, all my DVDs are coming from Best Buy. It's cheaper there, anyways.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
From the Amazon/Sailor Stars reveiw section
Quote:
Welcome to the new world, where large companies can sell bootlegs without much fear of the law while individual consumers can be taken to court over a single pirated song and face massive fines and jail time. Yeah, that's pretty fair.

Isn't that the sad, sad truth.
skygtr

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen bootlegs listed like this on Amazon before, but never being sold by Amazon. Usually it's just some stupid Amazon Marketplace seller. The fact Amazon is actually selling it is pretty bad. Guess I won't be buying from there anymore.
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
However, it is good in the sense that it has English, Japanese, and Isolated Score tracks, Japanese Subs that don't appear to be insanely terrible as I've heard with some subs, and other general things that just make good DVDs...

Some bootleg DVDs will take the subs and audio tracks from the official English release, if they're released after it comes out (which makes a certain amount of sense--it's a lot less work than translating it themselves). That may account for the quality you mention
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
anyone know how long they have been selling it for? seems somebody is not doing their job... unless they were paid to look the other way.

They probably don't care since people are buying the things, on top of that, I guess corporate doesn't bother to check to see if their stuff is legit. Try selling bootlegs of 24 season boxsets, that's going to cause a riot. Amazon has never had my business and this is another reason why they still should not have my business. Period.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Guess i'm sticking to buying hard to find books.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I do find this funny as hell. You would think a place as popular and reputable as 'Amazon.com' would be smart enough to notice something like this. Hell, I remember some of the markeplaces that were selling bootleg doujin material. Then all of a sudden it disappeared. Then there was that incident where we purchased the Cowboy Bebop collection and it turned out to be a bootleg. And I noticed that something was wrong.

They really need to pay more attention. I've seem plenty of regular animation stuff being sold. Stuff that even though it was released on VHS you'll find people are going around copying it to DVD and passing it off as legit. But if you e-mail the company who owns the rights to it they'll tell you that it's being released by someone else. And that someone else isn't the one releasing it now. Just look around, if the series hasn't been released and all of a sudden it turns up somewhere with no distributor then it's a bootleg.

Hoo boy...

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu May 17, 2007 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
What? You're saying there's a difference between a Toei dvd and a bootleg? Rolling Eyes Anyway, they could have settled the problem by releasing it three years ago, instead of cancelling what was already out, because they were greedy a-holes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6