• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gensō Suikoden's New PSP Game Announced via Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Woah, that's a pretty big surprise! A lot of people were saying that the series was pretty much dead because the main team working on the games disbanded. I hope it's going to be good.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
From the video, it doesn't have the feel (nor the title) of a main series game. Still, as long as it has a good story, 108 stars of destiny, and the original magic system (not a fan of Tierkreis' system), I'll play it.

Provided it gets a US release, of course.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
so... this is going to be for the PSP (which is pretty much a dead system outside of Japan) and is probably going to be more like Tierkreis than the main series?

as much as I'm a fan of the game series this doesn't have me that excited since it probably won't make it over here given what system it will be for and I really would prefer a Suikoden VI over a Suikoden Tierkreis II.

I didn't hate Tierkreis tho, and if this was for a system that was still doing well in North America I'd be somewhat excited at the chance to get it, but with it looking like there's little chance we'll get it I see no reason to get excited.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Best news I've heard all week.

I hope if this sells well enough that Konami will go back to the main series and timeline and finally give us a Suikoden VI. I'd really love to see a game based on the time gap between Suikoden II and III.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Garbage. It's apparent the series is dead. More spin off crap does not mean that they're continuing with Suikoden, they're just using the name to try and get a few more bucks out of the core fanbase. I don't see the core fans being fooled a second time, so I'm predicting failure on this title.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden is by far my favorite series, with 3 being in my top 3 games of all time, and 4 and 1 being in my top 15 or so. I will buy anything with suikoden in the title, and agree with an earlier poster as long as they are making something 6 is eventually possible. And Tierkries was not even a bad game, people on the overall liked it, but were just disappointed it was a spin off.

Id rather a sequel taking place later in the timeline, Im curious what happens with the S3 characters, in generally I want to see the immortal runebears from the other games, plus Id like them to introduce some of the other true runes; and at least hint at the overall story that may or may not exist.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Did the game series ever have much to do with the Chinese historical novel of the same name, sometimes called in English "Outlaws of the Marsh", or "The Water Margin", or "All Men Are Brothers"?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden II stands as one of my favorite RPGs of all time. From the story of the three childhood friends Riou, Nanami, and Jowy to Luca Blight, one of the best villains ever. I enjoyed everything about it.

Though I never really enjoyed the later games as much, but I'm willing to give this one a try.
chichiri_chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Did the game series ever have much to do with the Chinese historical novel of the same name, sometimes called in English "Outlaws of the Marsh", or "The Water Margin", or "All Men Are Brothers"?

Ah, now there's a good read. If you really search for it, you can find some parallels, but overall, they have very different stories.

I haven't played the game in ages, but here's a very simplified version of the similarities I remember. In the first game, after being wronged by his country, a dude gathers 107 warriors (adding him you get 108) to help defeat the curropt government. Oh, and their hideout is on an island (remember in the book they had that swamp island hideout for a while?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1