• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Drop (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Blue Drop (TV)

Genres: drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: aliens, school, yuri

Plot Summary: Mari Wakatake has been living with her Grandmother for the past 5 years after a tragedy caused the loss of her home, friends and family, as well as her memories. Fearing for her future, her Grandmother admits her into Kaihou Academy, for her to make friends, instead of home studying. Although reluctant to go, she does and meets Hagino Sekonji. At first appearance, this girl appears like a normal student but inside her lies a deep secret that relates to the tragedy of 5 years ago.
----------------------------------

When our Fall Season Preview special gets posted, I am going to say that, based on the first episode alone, Blue Drop "shows a lot of promise."

After seeing the second episode, I think I may have understated that point. It's a legitimate early contender for the title of the season's Best New Series, and certainly the best of the six series I've sampled so far. The soundtrack is phenomenal, it strikes just the right balance of mystery and intrigue, and uses far more interesting characters and situations than your normal boarding school drivel. It even looks pretty sharp, too.

I hadn't planned to follow more than one or two new series this season, but this one will certainly be one of them.

[EDIT: Added Encyc. entry and full name of the series. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree. Going in I had no idea what to expect, I always refer to the ANN Encyclopedia before I start a new download, but a picture of two girls and ship thing wasn't much to go by. Two episodes in and I still have no idea what's going on and I like that just fine. It's always great to find a new series that's basically unpredictable, I have no idea where this story is going and that suits me just fine. The character designs are full of variety, the animation is moody and dark (but not really creepy), and the acting is top notch. Definitely looking forward to seeing more, this is a surprise hit for me. hope they can keep this up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Just watched a trailer of it on YouTube, and boy does it look dramatic. The animation is really nice, so is the music and what I assume is the OP theme. I find it interesting that the story is unclear after two episodes (which I guess shouldn't be a surprise these days), but it sounds like it's a worth-wile show. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the Fall Preview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the top new shows, though I'm not sure I would put it at #1, at least not yet, but its at least in the Top 5, maybe Top 3, for me.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching as well. pretty great so far though it kind of annoys me that Mari doesn't just come right out and ask spoiler[Alright, why the hell did you try to strangle me to death and what's with your freaky eyes and that floating holographic girl? ] She doesn't seem like the type to have a problem expressing herself, but I suppose they'll get to it eventually, the series kind of has a real lazy relaxing pace. I like the story so far and the animation is phenomonal. That scene with the birds in episode one looked so good.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm watching as well. pretty great so far though it kind of annoys me that Mari doesn't just come right out and ask spoiler[Alright, why the hell did you try to strangle me to death and what's with your freaky eyes and that floating holographic girl? ]

I think some of that has to do with fear. She's headstrong for sure, but I don't think she wants to really be close enough find out. spoiler[In the second episode she spends the night just glaring at her silently, too afraid to sleep].

Emerje
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
Blue Drop really is a remarkably good show, based on the first two episodes. It looks good, sounds good, and the story is definitely intriguing.

If I really had to nitpick, I'd complain about the CG for the ship being that little bit too conspicuous, and it somewhat clashes with the laid-back, washed out colors of the rest of the show. Aside from that minor complaint of mine, I think that the show is definitely one of the season's (if not the entire year's) best shows.

It also instantly gets plus points for not being a harem series in a season inundated by them!
Aoi Yuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
It really seems to be a good anime from the first eps...i like the mystery in it also i think the music fits well into the scenes, this might be best anime in this falls line up for me
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm watching as well. pretty great so far though it kind of annoys me that Mari doesn't just come right out and ask spoiler[Alright, why the hell did you try to strangle me to death and what's with your freaky eyes and that floating holographic girl? ] She doesn't seem like the type to have a problem expressing herself, but I suppose they'll get to it eventually, the series kind of has a real lazy relaxing pace. I like the story so far and the animation is phenomonal. That scene with the birds in episode one looked so good.

I rather get the impression that Mari isn't very good dealing with people, as she's spent the past five years interacting with only her grandmother and no memory of anything before that. Plus, what's the point in asking when Hagino is acting like nothing at all happened?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I rather get the impression that Mari isn't very good dealing with people, as she's spent the past five years interacting with only her grandmother and no memory of anything before that. Plus, what's the point in asking when Hagino is acting like nothing at all happened?

I agree with Dorcas_Aurelia, plus Mari did kinda ask about that first point when she asked Hagino spoiler[ "are you going to try to kill me again" (or something like that) and Hagino gave her a noncommittal answer]. She never had time to ask about the latter issue before things went freaky at the end.

The preview for the next episode suggests that some of this may get explained soon. Definitely looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what most of you have said already; this is certainly one the best of the season. The storytelling in this series so far is really great. In both episodes I found myself getting a little bored at times, but something unpredictable always seems to happen at just the right times, which in turn keeps my interest level quite high heading into the next episode.

What really got me in this episode was the mention of spoiler[how roughly half of the victims on that island were murdered. Not to mention Mari seeing Tsubael and that other thing that happened soon after.] Shocked
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
What really got me in this episode was the mention of spoiler[how roughly half of the victims on that island were murdered. Not to mention Mari seeing Tsubael and that other thing that happened soon after.] Shocked

I was rather surprised that spoiler[ONLY roughly half were murdered, as the whole flashback to Mari surrounded by a raging fire would have made me think it was a more thorough slaughter. Or it would make sense if the murders took place after in an effort to clean up the survivors, but Hagino's actions imply that it may not have been intended to murder the inhabitants.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
This definitely is the series I'm most interested in for this new season, though I will say that this season is fairly lacklustre IMO. I definitely am looking forward to checking this one out, however.
bellemoi16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm really intersted in seeing the rest of Blue Drop, but I still don't understand spoiler[ why Hagino started strangle Mari?]

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. -TK]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
(You might want to put that in spoiler tags, bellemoi16.)

Frankly, I'm pretty certain no one knows quite why she did that at this point. It's too early in the game.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I was rather surprised that spoiler[ONLY roughly half were murdered, as the whole flashback to Mari surrounded by a raging fire would have made me think it was a more thorough slaughter. Or it would make sense if the murders took place after in an effort to clean up the survivors, but Hagino's actions imply that it may not have been intended to murder the inhabitants.]

That's a good point. Honestly, I didn't even think about it that (in regards to the flashback, that is). Perhaps you're right. Time will tell, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5