• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
People with similar tastes in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:

Huh, we actually have relatively similar tastes.

My List

At least for anime that we've both seen, only a few of them are more than one rating apart from each other.

Sad to say that I don't leave comments for MyAnime and MyManga. It would take too much time to cover that many, and I would like to think my ratings for the anime speak for themselves.

I'm far more highly critical than most, so I tend to be incredibly picky about what I watch. Without detailing any anime, I tend to gravitate toward works where the creators have complete control over their story and/or don't let the fans or popular opinion dictate the direction it goes.

Not really much up for the typical fluff that so many folks tend to favor, but the occasional gem where the direction and script is just too satisfying (Kamichu! and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) definitely leaves a lot of enjoyment for me.

Otherwise, I can't really say what I specifically like or dislike. If I find it generic and lacking any ounce of creativity, then I won't care for it. If I find it innovative, creative, or incredibly "progressive" then I'm more likely to respond positively to it.

As for favorites? Anything that Yoshitoshi ABe involves himself in. lain, Haibane Renmei, and Texhnolyze are even in my top ten favorites (including films), with the latter two in my top five. Even NieA_7 is utterly fantastic to me.

I also love anything that Satoshi Kon and Mamoru Hosoda direct/script. With the exception of Perfect Blue (which is still very good, but seems to be a constrained Hitchcock or Lynch film), Kon creates anime that is unlike anything else out. And Hosoda is everything that is great about Ghibli and more; The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is my favorite anime film, and his two Digimon films (yes, Digimon) are absolutely wonderful, as is One Piece film that perfectly captures the sense of wonder and joy that the original manga has.

And recently Mononoke has turned out to be the most unique and original anime ever -- I'm not exaggerating, there really is absolutely nothing like it. Fans of experimental animation would be doing themselves a disservice by not watching it and its predecessor, the third volume of Ayakashi ~ Samurai Horror Tales.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
(1) I have a horribly bad habit of leaving series unfinished for a loooong time...

Same here.

My List

It's my resolution to start finishing a lot of the junk that's filling up my Seen Some section. I don't like the way I rate, though, because I'm not consistent at all when it comes to ratings, and I want to fix that soon. I just updated my Top 10 (with cheesy comments), and I need to do the same with my manga list.

As for the kind of series I generally like... I can like anything -- as long as it's good. My favorites range from shows like Kanon to Ghost Hound, but looking at the big picture, I tend to lean towards series like Guardian of the Sacred Spirit and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and of course Ghost Hound). So I think Murasakisuishou and I are similar in the I.G + Shirow aspect. At the same time, KyoAni shows are really high on my list. Anime smile + sweatdrop

That's probably why I can't seem to finish anything; it's because I start too many shows because I might like them, too. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:

Huh, we actually have relatively similar tastes.

My List

At least for anime that we've both seen, only a few of them are more than one rating apart from each other.

I figured that was the case. We've had discussions about things before, and I've agreed with most of what you say in your posts. Also, I seem to remember that we're around the same age.

I'm amazed this topic took off so well! There's such a dearth of discussion around here at times; it seems like a lot of people were just waiting for something that couldn't become a shoutfest like so many topics do. As the OP, I'll take a little time to look at each person's list and make a few comments. (If any of these are far off base, or even offensive, make sure to tell me I'm wrong.)

Cloe: You're an animator, and you've made very clear in many of your posts that you appreciate great looking animation. You rate in a reserved manner: out of 409, only 16 got a perfect score. You seem to like the bizarre and esoteric.

Murasakisuishou: You don't like the Miyazaki movies quite as much as most people, but you still appreciate them. Your tastes tend towards eclectic, but since you haven't seen a great deal of anime, it's a little hard for me to judge.

chichiriNoDa: Far from the solemn and philosophical taste I tend towards, I get the impression that you enjoy something more moving. You like slice-of-life and shojo anime more than action anime, although you did enjoy Yu Yu Hakusho. (I see we agreed on This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.)

Vortextk: You enjoy a mixture of pure entertainment and literary value in your anime, but the things you like the most are those that entertain you. If an anime doesn't accomplish that, you feel it's missing something.

MorwenLaicoriel: We both like classical music! Also, while you tend to enjoy subbed anime more than dubbed, you give both a chance. That shows a restraint and willingness to experience that a lot of anime fans don't appear to have. Keep watching more anime!

Randall Miyashiro: You have very different taste from a lot of people. I mean, you gave Gasaraki a 9. I liked Gasaraki, gave it a 7, but I felt no attachment to the characters. I don't think this is an issue for you, and that separates you from a lot of other people. I think it's interesting that we gave Gankutsuou the same rating.

undeadben: The first thing that really struck me reading your list was how much we disagree about Chrono Crusade. However, we do agree on the Fullmetal Alchemist movie, and you, unlike most, did not give Gankutsuou a perfect rating. You tend to rate higher than me, but we don't have a lot in common, so it's hard to judge.

bonbonsrus: Hmm...we both like Ghost in the Shell and Kare Kano, but I don't have too much in common with you. Gender differences perhaps?

DerekTheRed: Umm...I don't know how to respond to your comment. In any event, welcome to the forums. I see that you've seen a lot of the things which are recommended anime viewing by a lot of people. You've formed distinct opinions about some of them, which shows a level of critical viewing.

HellKorn: I don't think I saw a single rating which deviated from mine more than 2 points. We have very similar taste...eerie.

Aromatic Grass: You award masterpiece ratings more often than I do, and unlike me, you will rate something before you've seen all of it. You like to try a lot of things, and those you stick with, you tend t like more than those you don't.

Ratings are subjective, but the basis on which people rate things contains both subjective and objective elements. I tend to strive for ratings as objective as possible, given my biases.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Also, I seem to remember that we're around the same age.

What is it with teenagers these days? Wink

Xenofan 29A wrote:
Aromatic Grass: You award masterpiece ratings more often than I do, and unlike me, you will rate something before you've seen all of it. You like to try a lot of things, and those you stick with, you tend t like more than those you don't.

That's exactly it. I wish I wouldn't rate things before I had a serious chance to watch it, but I hate not rating things. And I'm not sure what it is that causes me to rate some things Masterpiece. Take Last Exile for example: In reality (based on the way I rate shows), it should probably be an Excellent or Very good, but either or those don't really work for me. That's the inconsistency in my ratings that I don't like. No more blasted curving! Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
If I recall there are already some suggestions at the Encyclopedia Suggestion List to help us find people with similar tastes.
Which are? This sounds great but your link only takes us to the master thread and not to this discussion in particular.

I also was interested in finding some way to find people with similar tastes on this site, and tried to make a thread on it long ago, but it was shot down and locked instantly. One mod even accused me of trying to incite a flame war simply by mentioning my top 5 anime, which happen to be very different from most people's top anime.

One big suggestion I have for the Encyclopedia ratings would be an option for users to modify the "ratings" they (and they alone) see for any particular show by specifying that they only want to allow other users with reasonably similar tastes to be allowed to vote. This would have to be done via some sort of mathematical server algorithm, which checks the votes of all other users on an individual basis and applies some sort of filter and only "accepts" those other users who have a My Anime list with ratings that are generally a good match with your own (for any shows you have seen in common). Then, any show you check on (including those you haven't seen) will be re-rated according to this reduced population of voters. The drawback to this would be that the voting population useful to anyone one person might be reduced to a handful of voters, or possibly even no voters. But the benefit would be that the ratings that you DO see would actually be of some help to determining what other shows you might want to watch. Having even 1 "useful" person rating a show for you is way better than having 1000 people who have tastes completely unrelated to your own.

Another major suggestion would be the ability to specify your gender for your account info and optionally limit the ratings you see for any show to only those made by people of the same gender as you. This may sound extremely discriminatory and I apologize if I've offended anyone, but it's likely that males and females on the average rate anime VERY differently. Such an option would certainly be of help in identifying potential good future animes to watch. Similarly, one could extend this idea of "restricted population" ratings in any other way they could think of. For examples, restrictions by age groups, restrictions by those who watch fansubs vs those who don't, etc. But all these hypothetical settings should remain optional of course.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm not sure I want any critique or anything, but if you want to look at my list, just to see what my tastes are:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=3&user=BrothersElric

A few things you'll notice about my list. My philosophy is that nothing should be just decent or so-so. It should either be different levels of good or different levels of bad. You either like the show or you don't. Of course, I'm sure it probably would indeed help out in a lot of ways if I just went against that and did it anyways, but I don't know, whatever.

Another thing is that yeah, I don't comment on any of these series at all. Mostly entirely because I'm just too lazy to do it. Wink

I'd also suggest taking a look at my manga list as well in order to get a better idea of what I truly think about the actual source material of some of these manga-based anime.

But anyways, my tastes are very much the same as what some have already said in that I like just about anything as long as it's good, even though a good portion of my list is shounen! Laughing Yes, shounen is indeed my favorite genre! Cool Fighting and action and coolness aside, as much as I like it for that, it all basically comes down to the fact that I just love the types of themes and messages these series convey, and just comes to show you how people try to complicate things too much sometimes, but sometimes the simplest answers end up being the right ones. It's really been kind of a life changing experience watching some of these. On the other hand, I'm actually not really all that much into eithier the shoujo or the slice-of-life series out there. There's been a few that I've really loved, but outside of those few I haven't really been able to get into anything else from those genres. Maybe I need to just forget everything my instincts tell me and just go for it?.............. I don't know, maybe someday.

[EDIT: Fixed your link to include your actual page, as opposed to linking to our own. -TK]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Well here's my personal Anime list. from ANN. I've noticed there's a few who have posted who I have some similar tastes with. As others have said if anyone wants to know why i rated a certain title with the rating I did just go ahead and ask.

edit--Fixed my link, thanks Dargon. Wink

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well here's my personal Anime List from ANN. I've noticed there's a few who have posted who I have some similar tastes with.
from right above Psycho's post wrote:
[EDIT: Fixed your link to include your actual page, as opposed to linking to our own. -TK]

Smile Ironic.
I think you mean this is Psycho's Anime list. The way you had the linked, it just went to the page of whoever clicked it. Wink

Oh and for the thread I suppose I should post my list (narrowband don't click). I haven't worked on it in a while so some of the things need updates.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite. Here's a list from an old lady in her late 30's, for what it's worth:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=3&user=Kelly

(I just added my 100th title to my list. Does that mean I'm no longer a newbie? Wink )

If there's rhyme or reason to my list, I'll be darned if I can figure it out. I try to be open to most genres. I also think masterpiece and worst ever are very strong words and accordingly use them sparingly. I agree with MorwenLaicoriel that a series will lose me fast if at least a few of the characters don't grab me.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well here's my personal Anime list from ANN. I've noticed there's a few who have posted who I have some similar tastes with. As others have said if anyone wants to know why i rated a certain title with the rating I did just go ahead and ask.
Why did you rate MD Geist "very good"?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well here's my personal Anime List from ANN. I've noticed there's a few who have posted who I have some similar tastes with.

Smile Ironic.
I think you mean this is Psycho's Anime list. The way you had the linked, it just went to the page of whoever clicked it. Wink

He edited BE's post before Psycho even posted that. Also, a few others need to double check their links to make sure they work before posting... Confused
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I also love Justin Sevakis' huge list which naturally has many buried treasures.

Heh, why, thank you. I'm quite proud of my list and have spent countless hours maintaining it. Sadly, Mike Toole got started and blew mine away. Curse my low tolerance for crappy shows!

Your list is nothing to sneeze at, certainly. I found the shows we just liked and those we loved seemed to switch. I wonder if it's because the nostalgia factor is so different, since you didn't experience anime though the filter of US release that so many of us did back in the day.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:

chichiriNoDa: Far from the solemn and philosophical taste I tend towards, I get the impression that you enjoy something more moving. You like slice-of-life and shojo anime more than action anime, although you did enjoy Yu Yu Hakusho. (I see we agreed on This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.)

You're right I don't really like philosophical genre or anime that has something to do with psychological state....

I really do enjoy slice-of-life even though it can be slow pace at times, but it's different from my nature I'm not a patient person and I'm wondering why do I love slice-of-life.

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that most of the show I watch are Shoujo genre. I rarely watch action, I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho before and I enjoy it especially the tournament part. I enjoy Hunter x Hunter and Flame Of Recca as well.

I've seen old series that doesn't have any dvd release or fansub, like Doreamon, Cinderella Monogatari, Heidi, Tom Sawyer and Huckfinn and these titles were masterpiece for me.

I didn't felt aything when I watched This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, it didn't appeal to me.

Last edited by chichiriNoDa on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Smile Ironic.

He edited BE's post before Psycho even posted that. Also, a few others need to double check their links to make sure they work before posting... Confused

I never claimed to be anything short of a caveman when it comes to computers hehe. I'm simply amazed I got the link to post at all regardless if it was right or not. Simply doing that is an achievement for me lol. I also spent a good 2 hours editing and updating my list too for this thread. Well, I needed to anyway as I hadn't in months upon months so this thread just gave me yet another reason to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5