• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano Appears on Rolling Stone Mag's Cover in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yes, switching agencies after screwing nearly your whole band certainly is being reborn... Ehh... she's still a good voice actress. I may check up on that to see what she says.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
...screwing nearly your whole band...

Oy vey. Why is this raised in every thread having to do with Aya Hirano?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Yes, switching agencies after screwing nearly your whole band certainly is being reborn... Ehh... she's still a good voice actress. I may check up on that to see what she says.

she can do whatever she wants. It has nothing to do with her job. Is personal life is this important for otaku?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Public image does play a part in Japanese idolism and scandals don't just blow over like in America.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
she can do whatever she wants. It has nothing to do with her job. Is personal life is this important for otaku?

Not necessarily but because she slept with most of her band members, I guess it presents a moral and a ethical dilemma that some would believe the public has the right to know. ( I think the matter should've been handled properly behind closed doors. Plus you don't see male performers who do the same thing being ridiculed unless it's become a matter of sexual harassment.) I think she took whatever consequences came with the result of her actions and the issue needs to be laid to rest. There's more to her than her private life.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Somebody had to say it, and you did. Thank you, kind sir (miss?), for saving me the trouble. Smile
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Somebody had to say it,

No, they really didn't.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The interview ... will also discuss Hirano's thoughts on the major crossroads that Japan as a whole is facing this year.

That kind of implies that she might make some political statement. If true, that's a bigger deal than anything about her personal history.

It would also be no-big-deal in the West, but she's not in the West.
darkninjawill
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The main problem I have with the Whole scandal surrounding her is that i thought she was smarter and knew not to take pictures. Too many celebrities get caught because they don't think of the chance that the photos might get leaked.

Oh well, I wish her good luck in her future endeavors.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:

Not necessarily but because she slept with most of her band members,

That just makes her a perfect cover for the Rolling Stone. Aren't all Rolling Stone covers sluts and man-sluts anyways? Laughing
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That just makes her a perfect cover for the Rolling Stone. Aren't all Rolling Stone covers sluts and man-sluts anyways? Laughing

Yep. Because the way Rolling Stone works is putting someone on the cover means they are going to open up or make some sort of confession and/or statement on something. I think she might talk about it and explain why she did it. She gets to say her piece and they get to sell magazines. Win-win, I suppose.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ANN is quicker than Sankaku Complex for once with Aya news!!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
...screwing nearly your whole band...

Oy vey. Why is this raised in every thread having to do with Aya Hirano?

It's a big scandal that has not died and continued to live. Until it does die off people will comment on it. It's not as if Hirano has done a single thing to help that cause. And even if that scandal dies off how long til another pops up? Just saying. Honestly I don't even think she's THAT great of a VA. Good? Sure no doubt. As legendary as fans, and herself, make her out to be? Not really. I agree her personal life should be just that, personal. The problem is as I already said she makes no effort to help this cause. Maybe if she was more discreet and less flakey in general she could move past this. I'm just waiting to see if all these supposed VA roles pan out or not.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Public image does play a part in Japanese idolism and scandals don't just blow over like in America.

And that's why it's a big deal. The fact that she bounced back from something like this is a story in itself.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
And that's why it's a big deal. The fact that she bounced back from something like this is a story in itself.

Yeah that was my first thought - its all made her more popular (atleast to media) to get on this mag cover. Good for her.

Seiyuu's aren't quite "idols" but pretty close these days. Any hint of a boyfriend and you might be finished - Aki Toyosaki is dealing with that a bit right now.

Right or wrong the idol and seiyuu fans put those girls up on a very high pedestal and not much less than a pure-virgin who doesn't drink or smoke is acceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2