• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 1 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

What are the subtitles like on this release? Are they fairly ordinary fare, or do they try to shoehorn Japanese suffixes and terms at every stop without considering how awkward it is?

The subs have the same amount of cursing as the dub. They do keep the honorifics like -sama, -san, etc., but they translate everything else. Like "nakama,"* which the fansubers think is very important, so they leave it in untranslated. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

*I don't think that they say "nakama" on this set, but they do in One Piece movie 8, and that's when FUNi translated it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kuragari Okami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Monster in a box wrote:
My only issue with the dub (as someone who hasn't watched it subbed, granted) is that there's too much swearing at parts (episode 7...). It just feels unnatural.

That doesn't change the fact that, like it or not, One Piece IS a kid's show, and it very much shows a lot of the time. Swearing is fine. I have no issues with it whatsoever. Swearing like a pirate (haha, well they aren't exactly conventional pirates) makes the show seem less whimsical, but it doesn't really add anything to it. We get it, Buggy is a bastard. Say something else.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it there really isn't any such thing as 'swear words' in Japan, so they could've translated that dialogue a number of ways.

It is a kids show in Japan, but they do curse/swear, in the "Japanese way", so the rating here would go up because we are less tolerant of cursing (which is fine IMHO)...

But to explain the "Japanese way" of cursing would be that: in Japanese they have a polite way of saying things, and they have the rude and very rude way of saying things. So the only way to translate that change in the dialog would be to put in curse words.

So I'm fine with it, I just have to see how it is when I get the money to buy it. Very Happy
Heredador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Heredador wrote:
the great downloading.

I've got a good question in regards to this, even though I'm against downloading and all (actually to be honest Im not bothered and do not care)

What are the subtitles like on this release? Are they fairly ordinary fare, or do they try to shoehorn Japanese suffixes and terms at every stop without considering how awkward it is?

So I have the choice between downloadable HK subs, raw DVDs, fansubs by people more concerned with OMG TEH FLASHIEST FONT AND ANIMATIONS FER SUBS than the actual show, Irritating "OH LUFFY-SAN BLAHBLAH CHAN", or a potty-mouthed dub which is guilty of the same things fansubbers can be capable of- trying to make what is obviously a show for younger people in to some kind of cool, edgy show with swearing because "OMG IF IT HAS BLOOD IT SHOULD JHAVE SwEAR YEAH HIGHFIVE LETS SKATEBOARD *sk8s*"

But either way this all comes roughly three years too late when I stopped caring.

Good job though for bringing it out though!

Well, how answer at your ask, I´ll began say you that I download the chapters from a Spanish Fansub (cause I´m Spanish, logically) and yes, always there´re suffixes like nami-san, robin-chan....
So if you want follow the serie by TV or buy the DVDs, do it, I am agree on that Very Happy
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
That and I don't like the typical Funimation disability to skip past the adds at the beginning of the disc...

If you press the "Title" button on your remote, then you can skip them.

I'm not entirely sure if that button even exists on my DVD remote....... I don't know, I'd have to check......

........and after just barely looking at it, it appears as if it indeed doesn't have one at all, so I have to watch the adds at the beginning like everyone else. Sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Your DVD player's remote has to have a button like "title menu" or "DVD menu." I've yet to come across one that doesn't.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, somehow, they make it so you can't even press the menu button to skip them. Rather annoying, but at least they just show one quick commercial.
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Actually, somehow, they make it so you can't even press the menu button to skip them. Rather annoying, but at least they just show one quick commercial.

My menu button couldn't skip past it, but thankfully my title button could.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Your DVD player's remote has to have a button like "title menu" or "DVD menu." I've yet to come across one that doesn't.

My remote has a "menu" button, which I've tried on this before, and yeah, it still doesn't work. Wink
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's the case here, but some otherwise unskippable previews can be fast-forwarded. (You learn these tricks working the video rooms at a con; I don't know how many times I've been subjected to the beginning of the "What is anime?" opening ad...)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, here's the button deal:

The DVD specs define _2_ menu buttons. One is normally referred to as "menu", and the other is called "top menu" (sometimes it's called "title")

The DVD designers can define the menu button to have whatever function they want for each video clip, and can define it to have _no_ function if they want (usually a dvd player will say "locked" if you press it during a clip where the button is not defined). Standard practice would be to have the menu button take you back to the menu from which you launched the clip you are watching.

On the other hand, the "top menu" button is hard coded to a single function across the disc, and is usually set up to go to the main menu page, so that from whatever clip you are playing hitting that button brings you to the top menu page.

There are definitely player remotes out there that don't have a top menu button, and if you are one of them, well, sucks to be you.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
I don't know if it's the case here, but some otherwise unskippable previews can be fast-forwarded. (You learn these tricks working the video rooms at a con; I don't know how many times I've been subjected to the beginning of the "What is anime?" opening ad...)

Oh duh, I hadn't thought of that before for some reason! *slaps forehead* You'd think that'd be an obvious idea considering that's what we used to do with VHSs back in the day but nooooo......... Technology it seems has made us all as lazy as heck. Laughing
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
My only regret so far is that it dropped ten dollars the day after Amazon shipped it.

Hurry up and contact Amazon! I just got an Email back from them saying they're refunding me 13 dollars since they dropped the price within 30 Days

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/pay-and-gc.html

Thanks for that. I didn't even know Amazon had a "Post-Order Price Guarantee". Here are all the details for anyone else looking into this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468502&qid=1212551306&sr=1-1#postorder

I seriously love you guys. You just saved me 16.50 and I (like most anime fans) am poor right now so I need all I can get.

I thought that the review was very fair. And I must admit that "Do you want me to kick your ass little girl?"(Parapharsing since I don't have it in front of me at the moment) Was hilarious in English.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
Toshirodragon wrote:
Fell out my seat laughing here
Quote:
when things get emotional in the Captain Kuro episodes the actors stumble somewhat over the clunky dialogue born of Funimation's uncharacteristic fidelity, but even at it's worst this version is far superior to 4Kids Entertainment's version. Of course it doesn't tell you much to say that it's better than 4Kids' hack job (that's like saying you're a better person than Hitler: it leaves an awful lot of leeway)

OH ANYTHING would be better than the horror that was 4kids!

Now if mine would just GET here! Darned free shipping from Deep Discount Laughing

Well I liked the 4kids versions,but this one is better cause it's uncut.But i hope the damage hasn't been done already by it and those fansubs posting bootleg epsiodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Oh come on, the dub theme is done wonderfully. The ED is meh, but the OP is great.

My only issue with the dub (as someone who hasn't watched it subbed, granted) is that there's too much swearing at parts (episode 7...). It just feels unnatural.

It's probably due to the fact the OP was sung by that guy who played Edward from FMA. However the original OP versions are much better. Hope it gets released when the full season box sets comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3