• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cracking the Code

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

By the way..."Lelouche?" Anime hyper I mean...his name's on the BOX dude. It'd be cool if you messed up once or twice, but really, every time? Not very professional, Bamboo. Laughing

^^;; I think I kept mixing up his name because all I could think of was "douche." Thanks for the correction.

@ Big Hed: I watched it in Japanese.

Aw, comon. You seriously hate him that much? Anime hyper Here! When he's on screen, think happy thoughts!

How 'bout Orange-kun!?
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
I like Lelouch. Though, I guess Im like him. People tell me that I am self absorbed.
chibiyusa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Am I the only bothered by the shelves in the Shelf Obsessed thing? I could swear I'm seeing 26 volumes of Five Star Stories in the bottom right hand corner of the second image. I want to know how, it just seems impossible. I've been trying to get them forever but I just can't.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
chibiyusa wrote:
Am I the only bothered by the shelves in the Shelf Obsessed thing? I could swear I'm seeing 26 volumes of Five Star Stories in the bottom right hand corner of the second image. I want to know how, it just seems impossible. I've been trying to get them forever but I just can't.

Some people just have less of a life than others...

Oh, wait. I meant "hobby." Rolling Eyes
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Glad to know the rest of Simoun rated highly. After reading the first two reviews, I went out and bought volume one and quite enjoyed it. Plan on purchasing the rest soon.

Kind of disappointed that Freedom is rental slot, hopefully I'll get to watch the rest of the series soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I have not seen Gundam Seed so I cannot comment on that but honestly the similarities with Death Note are very superficial. I keep seeing people compare Lelouch to Light but honestly they are actually very much opposite character except the whole tactician thing . Light cares about no one except his goal (even willing to sacrifice his own family for it.) Lelouch tries to close his heart but can't seem to stop caring about those close to him (even ends up caring for an enemy in the end.) Light blames everything on others, Lelouch blames everything on himself (even when it is not completely his fault). So no I guess I don't see many similarities with Death Note. Light is a definite villain. Lelouch is a much more gray character.

I agree with this. It's obviously difficult not to make a comparison between Light and Lelouch because of the extent to which they use their abilities, but their almost completely different aside.

By the way, Maiden, "even ends up caring for an enemy in the end" didn't happen to be referring to the latest episode of R2, did it? I certainly didn't expect spoiler[Lelouch to lie to Rolo out of respect for his feelings], myself -- yet another (minor) plot twist.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
You know, I've been kind of worried about buying the DVD's of Code Geass because I've heard they cut out some scenes of Pizza Hut and of Cheese-kun that C.C. has. I know that they cut out some scenes on Adult Swim cause I did see them.

Does anybody know if the Pizza Hut logo still on the DVD's or is no scenes cut but the logo is edited out only? This would help me in knowing to still buy the DVD's but burn my fansubs onto DVD's also so I would have 2 copies of the series (one with the unedited Pizza Hut and one official)

From what I've heard, they did indeed cut out the pizza hut logo because of copyright but I won't know til tomorrow when I get my own copy. I'll post an update on confirmation then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
se37 wrote:
You know, I've been kind of worried about buying the DVD's of Code Geass because I've heard they cut out some scenes of Pizza Hut and of Cheese-kun that C.C. has. I know that they cut out some scenes on Adult Swim cause I did see them.

Does anybody know if the Pizza Hut logo still on the DVD's or is no scenes cut but the logo is edited out only? This would help me in knowing to still buy the DVD's but burn my fansubs onto DVD's also so I would have 2 copies of the series (one with the unedited Pizza Hut and one official)

From what I've heard, they did indeed cut out the pizza hut logo because of copyright but I won't know til tomorrow when I get my own copy. I'll post an update on confirmation then.

Yeah apparently all the Pizza Hut logos were also cut from the DVD (except apparently Bandai missed one or two so they are not entirely cut).

And yeah Big Hed that was exactly the scene I was referring too. Smile
stopher87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I love the lone rubix cube. It is like he is saying, "sure I am completely obsessed with anime, but I like math too."

Also judging by the peripherals he has for his computer it is probably pretty sick.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
I love the lone rubix cube. It is like he is saying, "sure I am completely obsessed with anime, but I like math too."

Also judging by the peripherals he has for his computer it is probably pretty sick.

Looks a lot like a very nice FPS setup. But my guts tell me it's nothing but Adventure games...
malik_chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Code Geass is that great. Overrated, I agree wholeheartedly. I really don't like how CLAMP drew anyone's body... they look stretched out (a la Mike TV in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and it looks weird. Plus, I haven't cared for it much, it's just kinda annoying at times.

However, I do like Lloyd and Mao, so eh, Code Geass is a weird type of show to me.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
So the overall sense of Strawberry Panic that I am hearing is To Heart with near-yuri-overtones?

Hmm, if Simoun has finally finished releasing and with these reviews, then I need to get around to deciding what sort of price penalty to impose for the sub-only nature once they box it up.

stopher87 wrote:

Not so sure about that, I saw the badge on the monitor and cringed. I don't care how big or pretty, or how not a computer it is, Gateway=Gateway.

malik_chan wrote:
I really don't like how CLAMP drew anyone's body... they look stretched out (a la Mike TV in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and it looks weird.

I wonder how much of that is from the HD->SD conversion. Didn't CLAMP just do the original designs and then get sent off?
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
I don't think Code Geass is that great. Overrated, I agree wholeheartedly. I really don't like how CLAMP drew anyone's body... they look stretched out (a la Mike TV in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and it looks weird. Plus, I haven't cared for it much, it's just kinda annoying at times.

However, I do like Lloyd and Mao, so eh, Code Geass is a weird type of show to me.

In short, this is the first time you saw anything that had CLAMP involved.

Good to know.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Clamp has been involved in the prodution a bit more

Quote:
Clamp signed onto the project early during these development stages, and provided numerous ideas, which helped develop the series' setting and characters.

This might explain the hints on Shonen-Ai and Lulus girliness ^^;; Lulu is "a beauty", they say Shocked

Quote:
In short, this is the first time you saw anything that had CLAMP involved.

Not necessarily, Clamp hasn't always been drawing like that. Only since xxxHolic. I think in CG it's still ok, but they're overdoing it with the facial expressions now, looks like Higurashi or worse oO;; (but that's maybe not Clamp's doing).

Quote:
After all, both stories were quite popular and I'd say if there's one thing that marks Geass out for me, it's that the show wants to be popular too.

that is quite true:

Quote:
They had wanted to create a "hit show," a series which would appeal to "everyone."

They certainely didn't create a masterpiece, but a hit show for sure. Personally I felt they tried to appeal to too many audiences at once, I prefered the show without the school comedy which seemed completely out of place (and not one bit funny) to me and the mechas later on. The characters don't seem very deep or actually a lot of them are simply completely stupid, especially later on v.v

But most people like what they get, and that's what counts, for Sunrise anyway. So, looking forward to more reviews ^^

And I'm happy that overlooked shows like Simoun are also getting a bit of attention.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Personally I felt they tried to appeal to too many audiences at once, I prefered the show without the school comedy which seemed completely out of place (and not one bit funny) to me and the mechas later on. The characters don't seem very deep or actually a lot of them are simply completely stupid, especially later on v.v

I thought the events of R1 episode six, and R2 episode five, were rather funny, to be honest. Although I could largely have done without the "special day" of R2 episode twelve, which did descend a tad too far.

I've always admired Code Geass for being able to deftly swing between comedy, action and drama. It's like an engrossing waltz, whose three beats lure you in and refuses to let go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5