• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cracking the Code

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Code Geass, and I got through the first two episodes. A couple things really turned me off to it, though. First of all, I don't really like mecha series to begin with, so it had to overcome that. And I wasn't crazy about the character designs, they feel like recycled CLAMP.

But what really, really bothered me was the jingoism of it. The reek of Japanese nationalism made me feel ill. I mean, Britannia = America and the West, oppressing poor little Japan... right.

So tell me... does it abate as the series goes on? Because the whole Geass power thing looked neat and I've heard really good things about it otherwise.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakiihana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
w00t!!! Go Code Geass!! Personally my favorite anime right now since bleach is fillering. Very Happy

Don't say mean things about lulu Sad

Lulu can be a bit cold sometimes, but that's needed to win a war. But when he said the whole, "spoiler[ I'll fight to create a world of peace so all my friends can live peacefully]" It was so sweet, and I totally became a lulu fan after that.

I've also always rooted for luluxshirley spoiler[ until she was killed ] and that was sooo sad and yet the things they said were so sweet. Sad

Plus I love Clamp art and i'm a sucker for black hair and purple eyes. Very Happy

Oh yeah the whole america as britania was sooo funny. nice.

Also about R2, that show is frikin amazing. Those plot twists. I don't think i'll be able to handle anymore. Simply fantastic! Very Happy

also rolo, schniezel, and mr. big curls needs to die
and suzaku needs to get over his issues.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Although I could largely have done without the "special day" of R2 episode twelve, which did descend a tad too far.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I was about ready to tell my friend to skip the episode, but then things switched back to deadly serious towards the end, so I couldn't.

vashfanatic wrote:

So tell me... does it abate as the series goes on? Because the whole Geass power thing looked neat and I've heard really good things about it otherwise.

Nope, it doesn't (I don't think it can, since liberating Japan is critical to Lelouch achieving his goal). However, the series does become more occupied with other issues, so the whole "NIPPON BONZAI!!!!!" motif does fade into the background quite a bit.

Personally though, it never bothered me; I think it's hilarious, actually Smile I don't think Sunrise was being entirely serious when they decided to flaunt this aspect of the show, anyway, as they've cleary got alternate perspectives on the U.S.A.'s role in Japan. In Gundam 00, for instance, Japan is part of a Union (America) Special Economic Zone, and the Japanese certainly aren't treated like numbers there.

stopher87 wrote:
Also judging by the peripherals he has for his computer it is probably pretty sick.

Hey, I hadn't noticed, he's got a good ol' MX518. I thought I was the only one who still had one of those mice.
Kiichi.Goto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
chibiyusa wrote:
Am I the only bothered by the shelves in the Shelf Obsessed thing? I could swear I'm seeing 26 volumes of Five Star Stories in the bottom right hand corner of the second image. I want to know how, it just seems impossible. I've been trying to get them forever but I just can't.

Yes, that is the (nicer than the Japanese release) US release of FSS vols 1 - 26. I got them as they came out, and damn was I glad, because the second printing don't have the nice bound edges (they're stapled together like a magazine).
Kiichi.Goto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
stopher87 wrote:
I love the lone rubix cube. It is like he is saying, "sure I am completely obsessed with anime, but I like math too."

Also judging by the peripherals he has for his computer it is probably pretty sick.

Looks a lot like a very nice FPS setup. But my guts tell me it's nothing but Adventure games...

My rig is pretty sweet. Athon 6000, 4gig OCZ, SLI eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB. I play mostly TF2, Portal, Oblivion, a few RTS's.

So, at least I don't totally waste the money it costs to run the damn thing.

And the Rubix cube is actually my roommates; although I too like math.

I just sent in my pictures because I thought the pics recently had been pretty weak and I wanted to up the ante.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
If you use your brain while you're watching Simoun, you'll get pissed off at the bad writing.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
If you use your brain while you're watching Simoun, you'll get pissed off at the bad writing.

I cannot, in even the remotest sense, agree with this statement. What do you see as being so bad about it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chibiyusa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Kiichi.Goto wrote:
Yes, that is the (nicer than the Japanese release) US release of FSS vols 1 - 26. I got them as they came out, and damn was I glad, because the second printing don't have the nice bound edges (they're stapled together like a magazine).

Ah... So that's how you did it. I got into it pretty late and only managed to acquire half of what's been released so far and half of those had that stapled binding and I've always wondered about that inconsistency in an otherwise lovely release. Anyways, great collection you got there.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
So the overall sense of Strawberry Panic that I am hearing is To Heart with near-yuri-overtones?

Near-yuri overtones? Surprised

Well it does hit "drama" side especially on later volumes. Now whether the drama is laughably melodramatic or not is another question.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Big Hed"]
Elisian wrote:
(hell, it's important to all of Sunrise's shows; big war, everybody suffers, no happy endings).

Clearly, you have never seen Sgt. Frog...
Elisian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
[quote="UtenaAnthy"]
Big Hed wrote:
Elisian wrote:
(hell, it's important to all of Sunrise's shows; big war, everybody suffers, no happy endings).

Clearly, you have never seen Sgt. Frog...

Heh heh....I didn't say that. I was quoting someone else...Smile however I don't think they've seen Gintama either....So full of massacres there too.....
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
This might explain the hints on Shonen-Ai and Lulus girliness ^^;; Lulu is "a beauty", they say Shocked

Google "luluko". Or, if you're afraid, don't, because it's exactly what you think it is.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I have mad jealousy for Dylan's large Mai figurine from My-HiME.

With Bamboo's proclamations of excellence, I'm pretty sure I'll have to pick up both Code Geass and Simoun, although I'm certain my fiancee will tease me about the Simoun covers. Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

But what really, really bothered me was the jingoism of it. The reek of Japanese nationalism made me feel ill. I mean, Britannia = America and the West, oppressing poor little Japan... right.

Keeping in mind that it never bothered me...the liberation of Japan from Britannia is important, so if that objective alone bothers you then I don't think you will like it.

However, the degree of jingoism attached to it does abate in my opinion, when you consider certain circumstances and events that do happen later on, in both seasons even.

And if you think Britannia is an inherently negative portrayal of the West and its actions, then I think the other side of the coin eventually implies a more positive portrayal of that same West and its ideas. To be specific, but it's also a bit of a spoiler: spoiler[United States of Japan].

vashfanatic wrote:

Nope, it doesn't (I don't think it can, since liberating Japan is critical to Lelouch achieving his goal). However, the series does become more occupied with other issues, so the whole "NIPPON BONZAI!!!!!" motif does fade into the background quite a bit.

I partially disagree, as it's not that critical to Lelouch himself and his true personal goals, even though it has its uses on other levels.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
But what really, really bothered me was the jingoism of it. The reek of Japanese nationalism made me feel ill. I mean, Britannia = America and the West, oppressing poor little Japan... right. .

Well in actuality, Britannia is only superficially America. Britannia is Britain had it won the American Revolution (along with other slight historical differences). So I think you could have a stronger argument if you had said Geass is against imperialism. Which is what Japan used to be.

This being said, I would recommend you continue for a while, it's just too much fun to let a little superficial thing as Britannia=Where America is ruin it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5