• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why we all love anime so much.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroineko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
At my school nobody likes anime AT ALL. But one day my friend asks me "Why do you like anime so much?" believe it or not I had alot of trouble answering that question. I love anime to the ends of the world and would never 2nd guess that, but why? Why do we love anime so much? Maybe I'm just an idiot (this is probably the case) but I really want to tell my friend (and the world) why I love anime so please some ideas.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...that's an interesting question!

For me, I think it was partially because I've loved cartoons since I was a kid, and partially because of how much I love fantasy. As a kid, I didn't have any trouble finding shows that fit my taste--there's a ton of animation and fantasy for kids here in the US.

As I grew older, it was harder to find shows that fit my tastes. For a while, I didn't watch much television at all, and stuck mostly to playing video games, particularly JRPGs, because they had stories that fit my tastes more. Since I was into JRPGs, I met a lot of people that were into anime--which I was aware of, thanks to shows like Digimon, and liked, but i hadn't fully explored. I had a misguided belief that most anime was like shounen shows, since those were what got on TV and mostly what I watched. However, some of the shows I saw appealed to me, so I started actively looking for other anime to watch. At first I had a hard time--brick-and-mortar rental stores had really poor selection, and my library had a few volumes, but not much. Luckily we eventually got cable and ADV's anime on demand service, and through that I was able to see a wide variety of genres and realized how much there was to offer in the medium.

So...let's see...I guess why I love anime so much is that it isn't trapped in the "cartoons are for kids" mindset we have in the US, and there's more variety in themes and genres explored for more mature audiences than I see in the US. (Although that's starting to change, thanks to the success of things like LOTR, but it's still considered pretty "niche".)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well you telling your friend, and the world for that matter, why you love anime is something we can't help you with. It's your feelings therefore we don't have any ideas. We may love anime for a different reason than you.

Personally I'm into anime news instead of watching it. I don't have much time to watch a series and also not much money to buy anything. I'd would have to catch something on Adult Swim, however I'd prefer watching a series from the beginning and not the middle.

All in all anime is pretty much my thing. I'm just attracted to it - it's a bit hard to explain for me.
Kuroineko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
That is true they're my feelings but sometimes I have trouble putting them into words. I'm just trying to see if I agree with anyone who can put their thoughts of anime into words. thanks for the replys^_^
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've loved animation in general for as long as I can remember. Honestly in my youngest days I pretty much watched cartoons and nothing else. I loved it all. Heck, I was even watching anime back then, I just didn't know it at the time. Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets, Tranzor Z, Voltron, Speed Racer, Belle and Sebastian, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and a few others I can't remember the name of, but it all looked like Leiji Matsumoto's style or anime. Still though when it comes to anime compared to American styled animation, I have to say that its the variety. There are so many different types of anime, whereas in the US everything fits into one of 4 categories. Comedy, Action/Adventure, Educational, and Girl Stuff. Now while I still enjoy American animation, its the range of possibilities that anime has that draws me to it. With anime it can be everything from child safe to adults only. That is why I love anime. It can be what American animation will probably never fully be allowed to be, and that is a true form of entertainment, not something that's completely dismissed as kiddy fare by the majority of the population.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kuroineko wrote:
Why do we love anime so much?

I don't ... at least, not empirically.

I love the potential of animation, as it allows its creators a level of control over every single frame that will never be achievable in live action. I love that the birth of animation meant that drawn art could thrive in the medium of film (and later video).

But that doesn't mean I love all anime or even most of it. I'm simply drawn (pun not intended) to it as a medium the same way I am to any animation, but I'll only watch productions I'm really interested in.

I watch animation from all over the world. Japan produces more animation than pretty much any other country, so I end up watching a lot of anime, but I don't inherently prefer it over animation from anywhere else.
Ligene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime is entertainment, I am entertained by it.

End of story. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Anime is a way for me to keep an identity with the culture that I grew up in, and hope to return to after I finish school. Although anime may be a bit on the stereotypical side at times, it sure is a lot better than some of the stuff I have seen on American television, in my view. Thing is though, when I go back to Japan, I may become less enthusiastic about it, since I'll be back in Japan and surrounded by it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
For me, anime is a medium that doesn't hold back what it presents and keeps delivering fresh material to entertain me. If I want an anime with senseless violence, I have it. If I want a title that explores a questionable aspect or theme to society, then I can find it in anime. If I want to bare witness to a reality I wouldn't think of being exposed to, then I can find it in anime.

The reason I started enjoying anime was because much of what I found in American entertainment was growing stale in recent years. The biggest offenders in my eyes are reality shows, television networks not delivering what they say they will give you, repetitious plot developments in a form of entertainment, and political correctness. I don't have anything against American movies and TV shows that aired since much of the material shown in those times had enough fresh elements to keep you entertained and interested. But, there isn't much freshness and diversity in what there is on TV and the movies in America nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eminakun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Really, I dont know why I love anime, I dont know why I am hooked with that kind of stuff.
Wanabedamned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'd say this question is answered every time I think about budgets for live action and animation projects and then watch episode 11 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in the broadcast order).
Kuroineko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Wow! thanks everyone I think I have eneough ideas to tell my friend why I love anime!!!

ありがとう
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I've always preferred animation to live-action in my video entertainment- in my mind, the whole point is to escape reality, and except for a few fantasy/sci-fi titles, most live action TV/movies are stuck in a sort of 'reality'... I mean, I know the story of the urban dance troupe overcoming adversity or what-have-you couldn't really play out like that- but it doesn't change the fact that I could go downtown and find an actual urban dance troupe to root for. Orc-slaying elves and catgirl aliens, on the other hand, don't seem to be around.

Once you consider anime generally trumps American animation in creating works that are not a) kids stuff or b) pretending to be edgy by having lots of nudity/swearing/drugs/etc., the progression to anime fan is pretty natural.

Last edited by DuelLadyS on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I love it because it is just so differerent from every thing I'm used to watching (live action wise). I like the idea that there is a whole different culture behind anime. I also like the way it tackles issues and themes that western live action will nearly always avoid. Anime, compared to live action isnt nearly always predictable. I like the the lack of celebrity involvement and screen time( not including the talented voice actors).
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I love all forms of animation, but I'm specifically drawn to anime because there's such a wide spectrum of genres that can satisfy any of my tastes on a given day. I also prefer anime over American animation because the stories are typically much deeper and more complex than those in American animation.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4