• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magic anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaku96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh. i wanna recommend Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. it has the most incredible fight scenes that put shonen titles to shame. It's also got great strong characters. The animation is beautiful. It's just great overall. There are 3 series: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura

My favorite magical girl of all. Just lucky to mention her first. Classic CLAMP anime that was butchered in its U.S. broadcast version, so the only way to appreciate it is via the subbed uncut version from Pioneer/Geneon.

"Sakura Kinomoto was an ordinary 4th grader until the day she opened a strange book and let dozens of powerful magic cards loose on the world. Keroberos, the Guardian of the Clow Cards, informs Sakura that it is now her responsibility to find and capture the freed cards. "

You will note the very similar theme in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles by CLAMP, and yes, an alternate version of Sakura herself as the lead.

EDIT: Apologies to Youkai Warrior. I just read the thread more closely and saw your reference. Kudos to you. My choice stands Smile
motaku96

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention Slayers(and its accompanying sequels, ova's and movies). The Slayer's series is one of my favorite anime. Lina Inverse is the best character ever.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
motaku96 wrote:
Ooooh. i wanna recommend Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. it has the most incredible fight scenes that put shonen titles to shame. It's also got great strong characters. The animation is beautiful. It's just great overall. There are 3 series: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS.

I was thinking about that franchise actually. I have to say though that I'd only consider it if it was like Tsubasa Chronicle, Fate/Stay Night, or Night Wizard (which I liked) more story and characters and less like the Sailor Moon type with long annoying extended transformation sequences, magic wands, and all that. Very Happy
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well if this topic is about Magical Girls, or just Magic in general I can be of some help. (SPOILERS JUST IN CASE)

Sailor Moon is the prototype for the "Magical Girl" show. A typical girl gets powers given by the planet (or in this case the Moon), because she (in the future) is actually the Queen of the Moon Kingdom.

Pretty Sammy is a spin-off of the Tenchi Muyo series, with Sasami (Ayaka's little sister) as a girl who gets magical powers. There are actually 3 versions of the show. One was on the Mihoshi/Pretty Sammy DVD, the other was a TV series called Pretty Sammy TV (or Magical Project S in the USA), and the last is Sasami Magical Girls Club, which is about a team of 5 girls who train to become Magical Girls.

As far as Magic shows...

Negima! & Negima!? are both about a young wizard in training named Negi Springfield, who is assigned to be a teacher at an all-female acadamy. All 32 girls, suddenly fall "In love" in some way with him, while he attempts to hide the fact that he is a wizard.

Slayers is about the young & very very powerful sorceress Lina Inverse. She goes around beating up bandits, destroying towns, and pretty much anihilating multiple gods in the process. The series is 3 seasons long, and the 5 movies (though made after the show) are actually set before the series. There are also some OAVs as well.

Magikano is another show similar to the allready mentioned Mabaraho. But this one is shorter, and set in a middle high school. Basically a guy lives with his 3 sisters, who are all witches (and he does not know), soon a couple more girls (who all have some sort of magic powers) try to be his girlfriends. Of course the guy has a really deep secret that no one knows.

Ragnarok The Animation based on the MMORPG of the same name, it follows 2 young adventurers through the world of Ragnarok. They are joined by several veteran adventurers. The main girl is a healer type magic user. There is also a sorceress type as well.

Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok set in Japan Loki the Norse god of mischeif is punished by Odin and sent to Earth as a kid. He opens up a Detective Agency that is dedicated to solving supernatural cases. Of course several other Norse gods also show up, some trying to kill Loki. There are loads of weird magic type powers. He is also joined by a young Japanese girl who loves "Mystery".

That should get you started...
motaku96

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I was thinking about that franchise actually. I have to say though that I'd only consider it if it was like Tsubasa Chronicle, Fate/Stay Night, or Night Wizard (which I liked) more story and characters and less like the Sailor Moon type with long annoying extended transformation sequences, magic wands, and all that.

Well there's a transformation sequence but they only show it once and then they skip it every time after. Nanoha does have a staff but it doesn't sprinkle out love or anything. It's more like a huge cannon that can tear through spaceships(oh and theres a little scifi in there too). Seriously when she uses her Divine Buster it is the most immense blast you'll see in anime. Another character, Fate(I won't say any more than that for fear of spoilers) uses a staff that transforms into something like an energy scythe and a huge sword later. And by the time you reach the third series(StrikerS) you have so many characters to deal with but its not tough to keep track of them since they're all so unique. The first series does have a little pet mascot but his role is actually important(and helpful). Anyway, this isn't the fluff magical girl shows you're used to. There are moments with blood and really great battle scenes. And I'll leave the rest for you to see for yourself. Oh and one last warning: try not to get discouraged by the first three episodes or so. It gets better really fast and my favorite moments happen in the second and third series so you'll definitely want to stick around for them.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Okay then, sounds interesting enough, sort of like Night Wizard actually. I was eyeing the two sets released through Funimation, they're of the first two series and they were relatively inexpensive. I might pick them up with the cash/gift cards I just got for my birthday since I was looking for completed series to watch and they weren't already on my XMas list.
Nandeyanen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
If you like magical girl animes, IMO Nanatsuiro Drops is probably as 'magical girl'-ish as they come. It's like Cardcaptor Sakura (which is an absolutely brilliant magical girl anime btw) where the main character and her pet/stuffed animal sidekick have to go out to collect -insert magical artefact here- and save the world.

If you were after something less sparkly, I'd recommend Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~. The central theme is magic, and it's set in modern times, which is a bonus IMO, coz the whole 'magic' genre doesn't usually fit in well with reality-like settings.
Shobob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
motaku96 wrote:

I was thinking about that franchise actually. I have to say though that I'd only consider it if it was like Tsubasa Chronicle, Fate/Stay Night, or Night Wizard (which I liked) more story and characters and less like the Sailor Moon type with long annoying extended transformation sequences, magic wands, and all that. Very Happy

HAHAHA. Nanoha is a generic magical girl anime for about... two episodes. Most magical girl anime are enjoyed by young girls and older guys. Nanoha is marketed specifically at the older guys. (not in a weird way.)

I'd like to reccomend Shugo Chara. Amu is a girl who has an inner conflict, a conflict with her outer character. She has had to project a "cool and spicy" character ever since her sister was born. But Amu really wishes she could be her true self. She makes a wish one day and three eggs appear at the end of her bed the next morning. These are her Shugo Charas. These are what she could be if she tried her best.

Amu is an interesting subversion on most magical girl heroines, who are usually kind of immature and ditzy.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Magical Witch Punie-chan was really good. She comes from the "Land of Magic" to finish her training on earth to become magic queen. She does magic but is much more brutal than the sterotypical magical girl.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So it's now 2016 and the last post in this thread is 2009. Let's update the sucker, shall we?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2