• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Witch Hunts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Awhile back, I was butthurt about Haruka because I thought it was a ripoff of Fushigi Yuugi. Someone convinced me to keep watching, so I did, and eventually, I got over the similarities.

Plus I kind of miss FY. ;__;

Or, one can also look at it as a variation of Snow White & her 7 dwarfs, only we get 7 or 8 hot guys. Haruka has more hot guys than FY which also went for a cute kid & a crossdresser.

It was the boy demon who supplied the harp, wasn't it? Akram chewed the boy out, didn't he? And these guys still have a fairly valid reason (racism/persecution) for trying to strike back at the capital as they are. Kouki Miyata's character (forget the name, but no way to forget the voice) is a constant reminder of how imperfect the "Good Guys" side is. (Who needs names? Just remember the VA's-Ishida's the Onmyoji, Seki's the one who loves Akane & Okiayu's the demon & his hot, mature flunkie is Ishii which is easier than Iktadal or whatever)

Quote:
I've been wanting to see Haruka and now I'm reassured about getting...when it comes out in a box set because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $25 or so for 2 episodes a disc. Sorry, ain't happening. And I'll hold off on the box set as well if it's too expensive.

You just missed the Bandai Visual 35% off at Right Stuf where you could have had the dvds for as little as $17.55 each which is about what I put together using pre-order price & discounts.

Quote:
Ghost Hunt is about at my limit.

I was watching at night sitting beside an open window & the Zombies made me pull the curtain down that I usually keep back to allow air to cirulate. I probably closed the window, also.

Quote:
I'd be happy to lend you some of our rain if it were possible. We've got something of a surplus of it here in Vancouver.

This has been my argument for some time. Parts of this country have drought at the same time other parts are flooding. There has to be some way to get the flood waters over to the dry states & thus the states wouldn't flood, right? Look at all that snow people back east salt/melt however just to be able to drive. There has to be a way to get it from point A (wet) to point B (dry)

It's not all the state, though Riverside & San Bernardino do seem to get more than their share. Usually it's different areas burning each year. The arsonists don't help. I swear they need to license people to have matches/lighters or something. I cannot see how anyone can WANT to cause this much heartache & pain, but I do see why we register arsonists for life once they are convicted here.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Ghost Hunt make Shelf Worthy again. Well I know it's being added to my shelf.

I actually don't find the stories that scary (which is fine by me because I am not a big fan of horror) but each one held my interest. I liked that each story had a different supernatural/paranormal focus. And while at first I thought it was silly there were all these different characters I ended up liking that each character had a different strength. I also liked the spirituality of 3 religions working together to solve the different cases.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but, I actually enjoyed coyote ragtime. It's not all that horrible. It may not be moving and be all about blowing up stuff and maids but sometimes thats all you need. The whole optic recording thing sucked me in along with the fatherless girl. I liked it yeah your not gonna cry but they blow stuff up and who doesn't enjoy some of that?!
AVPen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Awhile back, I was butthurt about Haruka because I thought it was a ripoff of Fushigi Yuugi. Someone convinced me to keep watching, so I did, and eventually, I got over the similarities.

Plus I kind of miss FY. ;__;

Or, one can also look at it as a variation of Snow White & her 7 dwarfs, only we get 7 or 8 hot guys. Haruka has more hot guys than FY which also went for a cute kid & a crossdresser.

Wasn't that the plot of Pretear? Rolling Eyes
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
"Does the story at least explain why a taste tester needs their sight to be useful?"

as a guess, a Samurai would consider himself to be a Samurai first... whatever he was assigned to do from there is only an assignment. A swordsman without sight... is a story.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Japanese girl goes to Chinese-like fantasy world and gets her own harem of bishounen will ALWAYS draw FY comparisons.

Likewise, Maria Watches Over Us is obviously a Cream Lemon: Escalation rip-off with the Japanese lesbian Catholic schoolgirls, only with less sex.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm now pretty interested in Coyote Ragtime Show, and I think I'll check out the manga.

And on the subject of the shelf, The Adventures of Pete and Pete is one of the greatest Nickelodeon shows on the planet, an essential part of the Golden Age.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...which is why they're even able to cobble together maids, old men, and gun fights.

Sounds like a ripping night on the town to me.
Not that I'd know though- I'm too frugal with my everyday expenses to partake in that sort of thing.

On a different note, I hope everybody's houses and bunnies weren't affected by those fires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
GHOST HUNT is my favorite show that I'm currently collecting on DVD; it's kind of like GHOST HUNTERS but they actually find ghosts. I agree with the review that the lack of "outside distractions" really helps the show maintain its spooky vibe. However I did think that some story arcs(especially the first one) went on a little too long--because the stories are somewhat traditional and old-school they can be a bit predictable. But that's just a minor complaint--the show does rely more on cumulative horrific effect(which I like) rather than "BOO!" style scares and twists(which is what I hate about most modern horror movies. ) Two more thumbs up.

Yeah, I was really impressed, at first I didn't have good expectations after watching the first 3 episodes on the Funimation site, but then I marathoned the rest and was like ;DKLJF;ALKJDF MUST. BUY. NOW. It really did get better as it continued... Though I'm still sad there's no second season Sad [/quote]
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hunt definitely sounds right up my alley. It's good to hear other people saying that it creeped them out, as usually anime horror isn't very scary, or nerve-wracking.
And Bamboo, don't worry about being scared of liver-eating monsters. I have to do zombie checks some nights, and in the mornings, when I walk to work, I have to walk in a big circle around this boat that's been parked outside, just in case a zombie is hiding inside it.
Man horror movies are awesome.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Quote:
I've been wanting to see Haruka and now I'm reassured about getting...when it comes out in a box set because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $25 or so for 2 episodes a disc. Sorry, ain't happening. And I'll hold off on the box set as well if it's too expensive.

You just missed the Bandai Visual 35% off at Right Stuf where you could have had the dvds for as little as $17.55 each which is about what I put together using pre-order price & discounts.

I saw that and I would pay $17.55...if each disc had FOUR episodes, not two. Unless each episode is 1 hour long and no one has mentioned that little fact.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Ghost Hunt 2 was as good as 1. I was really swept into that series. Freaky!
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
It seems some people are kind of confused about Haruka taking place in some generic Asian country. Haruka definitely takes place in Heian-era (about 1000-1200 AD) Japan. I've only been reading the Haruka manga, but it seemed pretty clear from that. The Heian-era definitely had lots of Chinese influences, and the show's creators have taken a lot of liberties with the costumes (Akane's weird combo outfit really bothers me), but it's definitely Heian Japan. Of course, it's the fantasy version of Heian Japan Wink

In some parts of the manga it feels heavily influenced by the Tale of Genji (a famous, epic Japanese novel written during the Heian period). Tachibana (the flirtatious general) is especially a Genji-like character, since the protagonist Genji in the novel was also a romantic playboy.

Really, the Genji homages and (vague) history are the main things that attract me to Haruka, since I think the storyline is kind of lame. Okay, I also like all of the pretty guys too Razz
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
It seems some people are kind of confused about Haruka taking place in some generic Asian country.

Didn't hold my interest long enough to be sure of the setting. AFAICT, the anime only makes sense if you've already played the game and/or read the manga. I know there's a few other otaku TV series like that (hello, Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko), some of which I even like, but only after at least one repeat viewing. Won't happen for me unless it's on TV.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
RabbitRevolution wrote:
It seems some people are kind of confused about Haruka taking place in some generic Asian country.

Didn't hold my interest long enough to be sure of the setting. AFAICT, the anime only makes sense if you've already played the game and/or read the manga. I know there's a few other otaku TV series like that (hello, Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko), some of which I even like, but only after at least one repeat viewing. Won't happen for me unless it's on TV.

The anime made sense to me and I haven't played the game...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3