• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Asō

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
And at the end of the day, Miyazaki is still just an old Japanese guy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Don't really see why this is a private matter. There is nothing wrong in talking about the things you like, even for public figures. Especially considering our celebrities and politicians do it all the time. If it is good for the United States, why is it bad for Japan?

It is also the Prime Minister's job to promote Japanese culture. I don't know anything about Prime Minister Aso, but it would seem that there are better arguments for trashing him, rather than using his love of manga against him.
JINROH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Is it just me or has Miyazaki become quite bitter about anime and manga fandohas Miyazaki become quite bitter about anime and manga fandom in his om in his old age? Just seems like he's in the news for trashing some person, company, or type of fandom. He's spoken out about moe and lolicon, otaku life, his own son as a director, and now the Prime Minister. It's like he wants people to enjoy things without actually being fans of them.

Emerje

I can see someone making that comment,and almost agreeing with it,but I rather think his most recently made comments on the those topics,is just him being realistic about the situation at hand in both industries.Maybe I am wrong,but thats my view.Still I think its great that the PM of Japan reads manga ! Razz
akichan911

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
One has to keep in mind that Hayao is a self professed Communist

Do you have a source for this?
Winter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Miyazaki was a Marxist (or at least heavily influenced by Marxism) at one point in his life, and he's said so in interviews. But he renounced Marxism years ago, before finishing the Nausicaa manga. There's interviews to that effect on Nausicaa.net.

So the whole "Miyazaki = Communist" thing is no longer true, if it ever was in the first place.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The nationalism issue is a very good and timely point and I'm glad Miyazaki brought it up. Big props.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's so hypocritical for Miyazaki to want children to step away from the manga and anime every now and then and go outside, and perhaps adults to stop flaunting a hobby that is sort of childish, especially to garner support. Man, what a terrible person he is, you'd almost think he was this entire time promoting nature and outdoor activity.

What a monster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
While I do not like Aso, I do not like Miyazaki as well, especially if he says stuff like that.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
So exactly what anime made by Miyazaki is shitty?

I would put Howl's Moving Castle in that category. After watching it, I went to the Wikipedia entry for the book just to figure out what that incoherent mess I had just seen was all about.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Miyazaki, but my impression is that he's something of a grump. This is not the first time I've heard him bad-mouthing the fact that Japan's culture has become its major export. He thinks that it will bring embarrassment down the road when styles change, and it's probably also a wound to Japanese pride that one of their biggest industries is based off caricaturing themselves so as to entertain the world.

Also, every time I hear about Aso it's mentioned that he's such a big manga fan. Its beginning to look like he is overplaying things, maybe even pandering to a young voting demographic. A politician should be famous for what he does while in office, not after leaving for the day.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk: It ain't about him being a commie, but about him telling Japan off the way that cartoon MLK told off black people in that episode of The Boondocks. Wink And frankly, it's about time someone held those a-holes up to their re-writing of history.

angel: True, a lot of Oscar winners do suck,[Shakespeare in Love, Departed, etc.] but it's an accomplishment in itself that his work won, considering how many anime titles haven't even been nominated in recent years.

Emerje: I'd be bitter if it took my arse 30 years to make a living out of my work, too. Rolling Eyes

mrsatan: I wouldn't call Howl shitty, just rushed.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Winter wrote:

So the whole "Miyazaki = Communist" thing is no longer true, if it ever was in the first place.

You can say he's defintely Luddist in his works though, that's why I cannot like any one of them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Winter wrote:

You can say he's defintely Luddist in his works though, that's why I cannot like any one of them.

What? I don't think you know what a Luddite is. Please, go read a book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Winter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Only if you have an incomplete (or downright incorrect) understanding of what Luddism actually is, and/or take a revisionist look at Miyazaki's body of work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Winter wrote:
akichan911 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Miyazaki was a Marxist (or at least heavily influenced by Marxism) at one point in his life, and he's said so in interviews. But he renounced Marxism years ago, before finishing the Nausicaa manga. There's interviews to that effect on Nausicaa.net.

IIRC, he was influenced by the left-wing often-violent college-student protests that characterized 1960s Japan (while America was having its hippie revolution). Yeah, the decade it took him to do the Nausicaa manga, one could notice the progression he got disillusioned by Marxism (about the time the world was rising out of the Cold War).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5