• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Ten Years Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrellj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, nostalgia galore there, though I didn't watch most series until later. However, Spiral was a good series that deserved a longer running (if nothing else, to explain the whole mystery going on). Besides, I dare anybody to watch that opening song and not get it stuck in their heads Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
ahhhh the early 2000's, when the American anime and manga industry was booming instead of plummeting

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is actually a personal favorite of mine, very underrated series, the Hollywood episode is probably one of my favorite episodes of any anime ever, there was just something so hilarious about seeing an anime spoofing western movies like Indiana Jones, The Thing, Back To The Future and Escape from New York ("call me Snake!")

I actually got to see Mt. Head on the Sundance channel once, it was wonderfully surreal
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
I agree about Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, it's a fun little show! I never could get into Spiral, I watched like 3 or 4 episodes then gave up on it. Was the ending any good? Confused
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
The creation of Haibane Renmei alone redeems whatever bad series were released on 2002.

I have to admit, 2002 was a rotten year for me personally. But that's neither here nor there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:

Quote:
Michael Toole wrote:
I'll close this look at ten years ago by pointing out a great piece of animation that, like Tamala 2010, isn't necessarily what we think of as anime. That'd be Atama-yama, or Mount Head, a 10-minute short by an artist named Koji Yamamura. Yamamura, according to his bio, started in the industry painting backgrounds for fare like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but eventually started making his own, personal films. Mt. Head is a neat little piece of hand-drawn work that chronicles the tale of a selfish man with a strange affliction. It's narrated in true katsudo-benshi style, with sing-songvoicing and shamisen accompaniment, and has a look all its own - it was good enough to get nominated for the Oscars, but didn't win. Yamamura had to settle for an Annency award, but that's OK - he's still working. You can easily find Mt. Head just by typing the name into google, but the video doesn't look legit - more's the pity, I'd love to see more of Yamamura's work!

this is readily available on a legitimate region 1 dvd at both TRSI & Amazon.

Don't bother. Fans only watch indie anime if it involves the stereotypical anime high school girl or possibly a pantyshot. Twisted Evil
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
I was wondering... Is Tamala a popular cat name in Japan or something? This is the third one I heard of in anime/manga.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
2002 also saw the rise of goofy, otaku-bait harem shows like Kanon (the first wave),
Was possibly less goofy than the 2006 version, but whatever.

Quote:
Happy Lesson,
The OVAs first started coming out in 2001, not 2002.

Quote:
and Sister Princess.
First series was in 2001, not 2002. Though I can see the Japanese otaku liking the 2002 RePure series more, since it was a more direct adaptation of the game. RePure was also far too busy being boring (and creepier with its sibling-romance/incest content than the first series) to be goofy.

Melanchthon wrote:
Rizelmine: Oh, god, just mentioning this show makes me feel dirty. But I'm not a lolicon, I swear!
Was surprised not to see any mention in the article of this series (split seasons in April and October 2002, bookending m.o.e.'s G-On Riders), since it would make for a perfect anti-fictional-child-sexualization rant. But it is notable for having Rie Kugimiya playing a loli character who's not a tsundere.

G-On Riders also featured such a role for her, though as a villain who benefits from one of the most ridiculously awful instances of EasilyForgiven that I've ever seen. I can't defend the show as "it's actually a parody" either, but it did have its share of funny moments. Not to mention Nobuyuki Hiyama going from wimpy harem lead to badass warrior (and back and forth between those states).

Quote:
2002 got off to a lucky start with stuff like... RahXephon,
I agree: in terms of visuals, animation, and soundtrack, RahXephon was far and away the best moe harem comedy released in 2002.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
*Reads article.

*Heads to TRSI and RACS DVD sections.

Some things haven't changed in 10 years.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I liked the 2002 adaptation of Kanon. It was pretty darn good to me so I'm sad to hear it flopped. :< ...
So Demon Lord Dante was bad? I am planning to add that to my list very soon so I'll judge for myself.

I'm one of the few people who prefer KANON 2002--for me it really benifits from tighter storytelling compared to the 2006 version. I loved DEMON LORD DANTE, but I'm a Go Nagai freak. It's an insanely stupid, trashy show, exactly how I like my Go Nagai. And Mao Dante has one of the funniest/most-ridiculous origins I've ever seen.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ten years since RahXephon, and Anime hasn't produced anything better since. Well, not that I've seen at any rate.

Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Macross Zero sports dogfights and mecha design worthy of the franchise, but its plot is a bunch of pseudo-spiritualistic crap courtesy of original co-director Shoji Kawamori, who still has great ideas but should probably be kept away from scripting duties. The series also, like Macross II, introduces us to a whole new set of characters that nobody cares about and will never again be referenced in the Macross lexicon.

I take it you didn't watch Macross Frontier. Twisted Evil

No, he obviously didn't. The entirety of Macross Frontier's tenth episode was a lovesong to Macross Zero. Even I got the reference while watching the episode and I've never seen Macross Zero.

Also, If I remember correctly, one of the characters from Zero is the grandparents of one of the leads from Frontier, and somehow the plot of Zero has impact on Frontiers outside of the homage episode.

Really, I think he totally missed Frontier.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I haven't given many masterpiece ratings (20- 7 are Ghibli films and due to the way it's listed 3 spaces are taken by the first two Tenchi OVAs- out of 475 "seen all") but three from 2002 have that distinction and take as many spaces on my personal top 10 list.

Azumanga Daioh

Haibane Renmei

and...

Tamala 2010, A Punk Cat in Space
The only non-R1 DVD I own- took me years to get a copy that wasn't obscenely priced.
I know the criticisms, I understand them, but I absolutely love the film. The art design, the enigmatic atmosphere, the mix of the super sweet images rendered mostly in black and white and the occasional bursts of violence, if you can stand the zombie dog's ramblings it's a very interesting concept and what finally puts it over the top for me is the soundtrack- it really is some of the best Trip-Hop/Acid Jazz I've ever heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Macross Zero is often the subject of debate among Macross fans, who constantly wonder: which is worse, Macross Zero or Macross II? Both were projects that gave fans high hopes, but ultimately disappointed, taking the venerated Macross franchise in directions it didn't really need to go. While 1990's Macross II introduced a new set of characters that nobody cared about, Zero opted for the prequel route, depicting the earth during its initial development of Valkyrie technology and the war that preceded the first Macross episode. I have to admit, when I saw the first episode, a huge smile broke across my face as Roy Focker took the screen, opened his mouth, and Akira Kamiya's voice came out. Unfortunately, that was probably my high point - Macross Zero sports dogfights and mecha design worthy of the franchise, but its plot is a bunch of pseudo-spiritualistic crap courtesy of original co-director Shoji Kawamori, who still has great ideas but should probably be kept away from scripting duties. The series also, like Macross II, introduces us to a whole new set of characters that nobody cares about and will never again be referenced in the Macross lexicon.

nice write-up on it until that quip.

Mike's gonna be dodging a bunch of Itano Circus missiles on that quip.

ahh, i see at least three posters already launched some at him.

Razz
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how I missed this the first time, but:
Quote:
the excellent series The SoulTaker

The first two episodes of this show are awesome, but after that...you saw the whole thing, right? I dunno if I missed something, it seemed like everything after that was poorly done Anime Drivel (the stratosphere castle thing was kind of cool though).
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
a lot of the anime mentioned in this article I didn't see until a few years later though

for example, I didn't see Abenobashi or Rahxephon until 2005, so I'm not feeling THAT old just yet
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I don't know how I missed this the first time, but:
Quote:
the excellent series The SoulTaker

The first two episodes of this show are awesome, but after that...you saw the whole thing, right? I dunno if I missed something, it seemed like everything after that was poorly done Anime Drivel (the stratosphere castle thing was kind of cool though).

Yeah, I didn't mention that because I thought that if I mentioned his praise for that in comparison to his discounting of Tamala it would just sound too bitter (best to let someone else mention it first), but I have to agree that between being mysterious to the point of obliqueness and throwing a mish mash of jarring art and imagery in every shot that show was a complete mess. Shinbo has learned so much since making SoulTaker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4