• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
My thanks to you for that information, Dan. However, I've already ordered it through Amazon. Two or so dollars more is no skin off my bones, though. Plus, I usually get all my anime/manga from Amazon, regardless of price. It's just easier.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Pity I live outside R1, but then it's good to see ANN starting to host some shows. That should help spread their popularity somewhat - even if some people can't watch them on ANN they might still look them up out of curiosity.

I know very little about how these things work so I'm curious. So does that mean Funimation has the global streaming rights to at least some of their shows? I live in R4 but the sample episodes free to stream on Funi's website still worked for me. And what about their YouTube channel? Series like Blue Gender and Mushishi are both licenced in R4 but they are still available worldwide.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
This all part of an initiative to help jump-start DVD sales in R1? Huh, huh? Wink

At any rate, it's nice to see some videos being streamed that AREN'T the usual suspects (Geneon, Manga, Funimation, etc.).

Media Blasters has put out a fairly good chunk of shows in the last few years.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ramen Fighter Miki? AWESOME. Very Happy

Good to see such a hilarious--yet woefully underrated--comedy get some more exposure.

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
This is a great idea, win-win. I win, because I get to see if Ramen Fighter Miki is my cup of tea. ANN wins because they get an increase in revenue and readers. MB wins because they're getting ad revenue, and because when I hit a series I like, I'm not going to want to wait around for weeks to watch the rest and I'll buy the DVD(s).
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Oohh, two new titles popped up.

I already saw Girl's High and Ramen Fighter Miki during their fansub runs and don't have any desire to rewatch them, though I'll be giving Kite: Liberator a watch someday despite little overall interest in it. It's free and legal, so why not?

Good luck with this venture.
gantz444

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kite Liberator was strange to me. I bought it thinking that it would be much like its predecessor but I was completely taken aback when I actually watched it. It wasn’t bad but it just didn’t seem anything like the first one. It ended at a weird place and left something to be desired too. Still I recommend it. Lots of bullets, but lots of cuteness also.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. This is the perfect chance for me to give Girls' High another chance.

As for Miki... people who have not seen it must give this a shot. Freakin' hysterical.
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about Ramen fighter so i will definitely watch some of it if i get a chance. Already own Girl's High.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
This all part of an initiative to help jump-start DVD sales in R1? Huh, huh? Wink
It's doing the complete opposite for me. With all these series' becoming legally free online, I'm having trouble reasoning why I should bother purchasing any of them in disc form; it's not like DVD quality is THAT much higher than the streaming quality of some of these websites. So when I finally get around to purchasing stuff like The Slayers or Ramen Fighter Miki, it'll be begrudgingly. It's stuff I wanted to see, stuff I wanted to add to my collection, but nothing I really needed to pay for in the first place because of this movement. =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Confused Don't you also buy DVDs as thanks to the makers of the anime?

Besides, online sources won't keep your favorites available forever.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
First of all I would like to thank ANN and MB for providing this wonderful opportunity to watch this anime. It was a good breakaway from being swamped in finals. I'm going to miss being able to do this when I go to Japan. Oh wait, I'll be able to RENT. But in the long run I thought it was interesting movie, I think after watching this one I can't say which of the two is better. I'll admit this one was kind of corny, but still entertaining.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

I am aware of the issues do prevent, what is in my mind, the perfect ideal of a website that legally plays shows for all, regardless of where they come from. However, I am of the belief that limiting the otherwise world wide web site in it's video service to Americans is both offensive to non Americans and portrays a lack of care for the, surely, thousands of non American users who use this site on a regular basis.

Outside Japan, do Americans complain this much when non-American companies release anime/manga that's not available in America? Laughing
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

What will be next? Barring people from reading Anime News Nina because whatever luid advertisement asking me if I watch anime in the bath or whilst pinning down Mikuru Asahina to do god knows what is not getting enough money from non Americans? Blocking me from reading Right Turn Only because, oh, it's American releases and thus it's openly assumed that I don't care?
It's videos now, but if it's not fixed now and changed to a far more positive situation for all, where else?

Nobody is being "barred" from anything. The people who run the website are simply not capable of making it so people from other regions can watch at this time.

Taiyz wrote:
It's doing the complete opposite for me. With all these series' becoming legally free online, I'm having trouble reasoning why I should bother purchasing any of them in disc form; it's not like DVD quality is THAT much higher than the streaming quality of some of these websites.

Yes. Yes it is THAT much higher. But it does all depend on whether you liked the show enough to feel like you need to own it so you can watch it again whenever you want.

I actually just bought Ramen Fighter Miki just before this announcement, but I haven't watched it yet. I saw a trailer for Girls High. Maybe I'll look at it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, personally I didn't care for Kite: Liberator so I wouldn't watch that again. (At least it was better than the first Kite though.) If I have time I may check out the other ones though. Generally, I tend to stay away from Media Blasters as a rule though. They hardly ever liscense anything that I like.

Quote:
Outside Japan, do Americans complain this much when non-American companies release anime/manga that's not available in America? Laughing

Yes, if they're fans of the series, and I wouldn't blame them. It's logical for a country based on the concept of freedom to be annoyed when we are unable to get what we want or are denied it and then we excercise one of our basic rights as citizens:....To complain about it and criticize. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Very Happy

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8