Kyoko Okazaki's Chiwawa-chan Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2019
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
A live-action film adaptation of Kyoko Okazaki's Chiwawa-chan manga has been green-lit. Ken Ninomiya is directing the film and penning the script, and it began shooting on March 23. The film is slated for 2019.
The cast includes (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Mugi Kadowaki as Miki, the protagonist
- Ryō Narita as Yoshida, Chiwawa's ex-boyfriend
- Kanichirō as Katsuo, Yoshida's friend
- Tina Tamashiro as Yumi, Chiwawa's friend
- Tadanobu Asano as Sakata, a cameraman and Chiwawa's new boyfriend
- Chiaki Kuriyama as Yūko, a writer
- Nijirō Murakami as Nagai, a man who loved Chiwawa
- Shiori Yoshida as Chiwawa
The manga is a collection of short stories that all center on a single group of friends. The story begins when a girl nicknamed Chiwawa, who always stood out among her friends, is discovered murdered and hacked to pieces. When her friends come together to remember her and offer condolences, they realize that none of them truly knew her past or her personality.
Kadokawa published the manga in 1996, and a new edition shipped in 2004.
Source: Comic Natalie