• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Artists Unite in Dōjinshi Book for Quake Charity

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
I had mentioned in one of the "Draw for Japan" topics here that it would be great if some works could be compiled for a fund raiser, this sounds perfect! I wonder if there'll be a way for people outside of Japan to also buy it. I'm sure it'll be on eBay and whatnot, but I'd rather not buy it in such a way that someone is going to profit off of it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joecoolhascome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think an anime version of "We are the World" would be a good idea?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Huh, wonder if there'll be any way for us to purchase a copy... I wanna support this!
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
I am fairly sure if old and popular authors such as Masami Kurumada, Akira Toriyama, Yudetamago, Yoichi Takahashi, Rumiko Takahashi, etc made a doujinshi and market it worlwide *instead of just in Japan, since well there will be people make profit out of this if it gets sold on ebay and sites like that, as mentioned* the doujisnhi would sell.. A LOT

Nevertheless is very nice to see the new generation of manga arthist contributing to the cause Smile
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Relieved to see that Tooyama-san is alive.

On-Topic: I wish this project to be successful.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
I wounder if some one going to pick this up for the US
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I wounder if some one going to pick this up for the US

Being a doujin I don't think there's any way of doing that, but it would be nice if one of the major publishers would donate their resources to really expand this project beyond Comiket.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
joecoolhascome wrote:
Does anyone else think an anime version of "We are the World" would be a good idea?

I don't think so. But I would like a remake for that song for helping Japan (if they drop the rap part, and Wyclef Jean weird singing in it). The only thing I want different is I want this to have a more international feel into it. Beside US artists, I also want singers from around the world like from Asia, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, and South America to do this (if they know the song and can sing in English). I always dream of a "We are the world" with all-star international artists, singing together for the whole world to see, I like to see:

US:

Taylor Swift
Lady Gaga
Nelly Furtado
Gwen Stefani
Madonna
Avril Lavigne
R. Kelly
Shakira
Amerie
Nelly
P. Diddy

Japan/Korea/HK/Taiwan:

Hikaru Utada
Rain
Namie Amuro
Lia
Kelly Chen
Coco Lee
Wonder Girls
Andy Lau
Aaron Kwok
Leon Lai
Jacky Cheung
Edison Chen
Liu Yifei
Isabella Leong
Crystal Kay
BoA
Seiko Matsuda
Mari Ijima
Jackie Chan (Yes the same Jackie Chan, he can also sing)
Takashi Kaneshiro

Is it possible to get 2 or 3 singers from AKB48 (any of them can sing in English) to sing for this also.

Europe:

t.A.T.u

Other then that, I don't know any other well known singer from Europe. I'm not sure about Australia singer that are well-known in their country but not in US or around the world. Yes, I love to see a "we are the World" with all well known singers from around the world whether they are known in US or not.

To show a strong unity between Japan and US, I would love some of our anime dub VAs who can sing and Japanese seiyus that can sing in English and familiar with this song for the remake to be in a choral among our celeb singers. I know English VAs like Colleen Clinkenbeard, Brina Palencia, Kate Higgins, Vic Mignogna, Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Micah Salsoud can sing really well. For the Japanese VAs, I would love to see Aya Hirano, Megumi Hayashibara, Yū Asakawa and I did put Mari Ijima on there. I would want to see in the "We are the World" remake music video a scene where all of our English VAs and Japanese VAs holding hand in a circle when they sing into the mic.

That would be the way to do We are the World remake for helping Japan. I would also lower the auto-tune for this one.
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a really great idea.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Ami Ami has these books for pre-order! Spread the word!! I'm buying these as presents Smile They have them at Ami Ami and Otacute so far http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=BOK-4121&template=default/product/e_display.html (takes you Japanese site may be fixed or will be) and http://www.otacute.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_33&products_id=16420

I already gave 200 donation and I'm buying 6 of these books Anime hyper So many great artists and for a great Smile[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1