• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Nendoroid Madoka Kaname

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, this looks really, really good, and I want one. On the other hand the thought of spending $50 on plastic scares me when there are plenty of other things I want to get with the money. I need to convince myself somehow that it will be worth it.

And he is giving away his old stuff? Awesome. I wonder which ones he is giving away. I can't go, but it would be cool to know.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
On one hand, this looks really, really good, and I want one. On the other hand the thought of spending $50 on plastic scares me when there are plenty of other things I want to get with the money. I need to convince myself somehow that it will be worth it.

And he is giving away his old stuff? Awesome. I wonder which ones he is giving away. I can't go, but it would be cool to know.

hmm well the plastic is the highest quailty you can get "pvc" I spent some money myself some figures however find a budget and draw the line there. I don't spend more than 60 dollars on any single figure no matter how good it looks, also remember and i am being sarcastic here you can legally download anime but you can down load a figure?

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Why rip off QB's head when you can have Madoka shoot him in the face?

I've just started figure collecting and so I'm still discovering my likes and dislikes, but I've already learned that I love poseable figures, nendos especially. Although, I don't seem to have the problem with arms like you do. The most annoying one I've come across so far is the Makise Kurisu nendo which uses, like, a seat-type thing that goes under her coat. The arm on my Madoka figma, though, was incredibly annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it was a hell of a lot easier than Tiger and Bunny stuff is turning out to be: the fujoshi are proving that they buy more than the otaku do!
You aren't kidding. The stalking (of figure vendors' websites) some people are willing to do for just the S.H.Figuarts figures is crazy. I'm holding out for these two in streetclothes myself (I don't want the guys hiding inside their powersuits, that's no fun!). I've already resolved myself to paying twice the original asking price (usually around $20-30 before S&H) if I don't manage to get a preorder in and need to resort to the eBay secondhand market. Even I have my limits though-- probably $50-60 each is the max I'm willing to shell out. But I'm hoping the S.H.Figuarts' success will prompt them to take more preorders of subsequent figures (or at least restock them, as I see they did with Wild Tiger before he sold out again).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(if anybody knows who the artist is, please let me know and we'll credit them here)

After doing a quick search of "camera akemi_homura" on image boards, it seems that the artist is Teruya Kazuhito:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=19630234
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=633674
http://www.zerochan.net/Teruya+Kazuhito

The artist's main pixiv site is here: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=94247

Now that's taken care of... it's awesome that you've done a review of the figure! It can't just be a coincidence, now, that this article was published the same weekend as the Aniplex USA's release and dub cast announcements, right? Anyway, if I had enough disposable income on hand i\to feel comfortable about getting a figure, I'd probably start around here.... but really, I don't think I'll be able to financially support Madoka Magica anymore in the near future beyond the LE sets of the series (and frankly, I thinks that's more than enough for most American fans of the series, seeing several of the reactions to the pricey release plans. Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what do they do to keep Kyubey's ear hoops floating like that? I think I saw it being attached from the back with the same yellow plastic, but I might be mistaken.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
(This was a double post. Was there maintenance going on?)

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
$50 is deceptively cheap. Once places like AmiAmi sell out, you need to shell out far more on eBay or Yahoo! Auctions Japan. Smile

My wife got this, though she hasn't opened it yet. It's frackin' adorable, and she's already got the variant pre-ordered too... we're gonna need a bigger shelf.

Kybey's hoops have a little yellow peg that sticks into a hole in his ear. I only know because when it arrived one of them had already fallen out and is currently floating around in the box.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

hmm well the plastic is the highest quailty you can get "pvc" I spent some money myself some figures however find a budget and draw the line there. I don't spend more than 60 dollars on any single figure no matter how good it looks, also remember and i am being sarcastic here you can legally download anime but you can down load a figure?

I am sarcastically speaking when I say that I use bakabt to get most of my anime, but support an anime by purchasing a set of it if I feel it really deserves it. You know, sarcastically speaking. I suppose I can set up a budget to get a figure (I also am dying to get a Kanade figure from Angel Beats!), but I have several other things to save for. I suppose that if I set up a budget I could get one occasionally.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the artist info.

[quote="Animerican14"]
Quote:
It can't just be a coincidence, now, that this article was published the same weekend as the Aniplex USA's release and dub cast announcements, right?

Total coincidence. Most of this column is planned out months in advance by way of preorder.

As for Aniplex's Blu-Ray prices for this show.... "I'm not afraid of anything anymore."
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hey, what do they do to keep Kyubey's ear hoops floating like that? I think I saw it being attached from the back with the same yellow plastic, but I might be mistaken.

No, that's exactly what it is.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
$50 is deceptively cheap.

Deceptive is right, considering $50 includes the shipping cost. The figure costs less in Japan.

By the time reaches our shores (RACS), that shipping is included for us and there will be another one, depending if the store has a free shipping policy or not.

Quote:
Once places like AmiAmi sell out, you need to shell out far more on eBay or Yahoo! Auctions Japan. Smile

For now. In two years, people won't be able to give away these figures at what they paid because they'll be re-issued. This is a gift horse moment.

On topic now.

As kawaii as this Nendo is, I'm sticking with scaled figures for this series. Obviously, it's going to beat the crap out of my wallet, which can no longer make whimpering noises. I may have just put it on life support.

Tough. It'll have to man up. 2012's looking damn good.

It's giving us Ohana!!!! Embarassed

EDIT:
*whistles

For those collecting figma characters of the series. Razz
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I bought the figma but I passed on the nendoroid
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Why rip off QB's head when you can have Madoka shoot him in the face?

[images snipped]

I've just started figure collecting and so I'm still discovering my likes and dislikes, but I've already learned that I love poseable figures, nendos especially. Although, I don't seem to have the problem with arms like you do. The most annoying one I've come across so far is the Makise Kurisu nendo which uses, like, a seat-type thing that goes under her coat. The arm on my Madoka figma, though, was incredibly annoying.

The worst ones imo were the little plastic stick and thin plastic support provided in the very early nendoroids, like nendoroid Yasagure Rin or Hetare Saber. Kurisu's stand is actually one of my favorites. Those early little plastic peg + plastic C ones broke so easily, I don't have a single intact one to this day.

Also, I've never had an issue with a nendoroid having a peg that did not fit in the back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1