• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Calibur III Release Date Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone been checking out this game? I am absolutely geeked because you can make your own characters!! *obsessed*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, I saw the character creation stuff and I about died. I can't wait to get my hands on this one it looks so cool. I am still kinda bummed that it's only going to be on the PS2, but oh well...
cubs2084

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Is this really anime news?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:

Same feeling here. There's no Soul Calibur anime (at least for now), and while there are many other titles with two or more media formats (anime, manga, game, and novel) I don't see why and how SC got this priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Has anyone been checking out this game? I am absolutely geeked because you can make your own characters!! *obsessed*

Yep, the character creator is definitely the selling point for me. The graphics just don't seem to be that much more improved to me over SCII and I imagine the game play is mostly the same, but the character creator, yeah, it's the reason I buy wrestling games and it's what will make this game stand out the most.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
I am still kinda bummed that it's only going to be on the PS2, but oh well...

I seem to remember hearing that it'd be exclusive to Sony for the remainder of this generation, and then show up later on Microsoft's (and maybe Nintendo's) next-gen consoles. Don't quote me on that, though, as much as I hope it's true.

dormcat wrote:
Same feeling here. There's no Soul Calibur anime (at least for now), and while there are many other titles with two or more media formats (anime, manga, game, and novel) I don't see why and how SC got this priority.

Gotta say I agree with this. Seeing as how Soul Calibur is much less "anime-like" and generally has less to do with the anime industry (or seems to, anyway) than other fighting games of the Guilty Gear & Street Fighter variety, it was kinda odd to see it get news coverage over those others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
I can't wait. Making your own character, quest missions, and, of course, the good old steel-to-steel fighting that made me fall in love with it back in the Soul Blade/Edge days. But yeah, SC 2 was the best on Nintendo and X-Box, and blows on Sony. Too bad Namco foused on Sony this go and not the XBox, sorry Nintendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:

"Anime influenced." There have been rumors of an anime for awhile too. If you go to an ameture run anime club meeting, if they have a game system there, chances are they're either playing DDR or soul calibur. Its very popular among anime fans.

http://www.animenation.com/4797326883.html
http://guru.theotaku.com/view.php?action=retrieve&id=56
http://www.animewallpapers.com/game/soulcalibur/
http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/games/playstation-2-games-usa-/ps2-titles-p-u/p_acslus-233011.html

Even if those dont exactly prove anything, its clear that regardless of Soul Calibur being in anime form or not, its important news with much of the same crowd. *doesnt want to start a debate though* gomen ><

Last edited by wolfcry on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
I heard the Cube version of SCII outsold the other two thanks mainly to Link. I really hope it comes out for the next gen nintendo system as i never got a PS2.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
I heard the Cube version of SCII outsold the other two thanks mainly to Link. I really hope it comes out for the next gen nintendo system as i never got a PS2.

That is entirely possible. However, if it WAS due to Link, it wont happen again since they ont plan on system specific characters anymore since "its already been done."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:
Its very popular among anime fans.

Guess we have to give more coverage on novels by Kenji Miyazawa and Yoshiki Tanaka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Figured I'd get my comment in before this is locked Wink

I'm really excited about SCIII. The character gen and the quest mode look outstanding. But, as much as I like SC, it's a shame that there isn't more hype about anything new in the VF series. Now, THAT is a fighting game!
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
That and the PS 2 had wrost load time, graphics, system only character. But the XBox did beat the Cube when it to load time and graphics, but let's face it, Link ownz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:
"Anime influenced." There have been rumors of an anime for awhile too. If you go to an ameture run anime club meeting, if they have a game system there, chances are they're either playing DDR or soul calibur. Its very popular among anime fans.

But at the same time, stuff like Guilty Gear and King of Fighters, at least visually, is even more "anime influenced," and such titles as Street Fighter & Tekken already have existing anime to their name. And many of those are on a level of popularity among fans that's certainly comparable to Soul Calibur. So why don't we cover new Street Fighter games or the latest news on the newest Guilty Gear sequel?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
So why don't we cover new Street Fighter games or the latest news on the newest Guilty Gear sequel?

While games like Soul Calibur, Street Fighter and Guilty Gear are highly popular, those fighting games lack an important factor: novelty. Games in this setting have been existed for over two decades. Yes, we see better and better graphics, audio, character design, even with some degrees of better storytelling, yet the basic premise is the same: press buttons for combined attacks faster and more accurate than your opponent.

Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on some groundbreakers e.g. Air, Tsukihime, or Fate/stay night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2