• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bunny Hops

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I have to say METAL MAX 2 RELOADED has dogs with guns strapped to their back and dogs in tiny dog tanks. Almost makes it worth importing this game for me. OMG so cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
FF13 was so disappointing... I tried so hard to like the damn thing but I could not get into it. The writing was so bad I felt like I was losing brain cells with every cutscene. Couldn't finish the thing. No way in hell I'm bothering with the demo -- wait a minute, you can jump? Shit, now I gotta try it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Actually finished FF XIII last week, overall it was a great game.

XIII-2 I have little to no interest in. XIII ended with a full conclusion and there was no sequel hook like the end of X did, and now I've heard that XIII-2 (MAJOR SPOILERS!) spoiler[retcons the ending of XIII, nothing the characters do in XIII-2 really amount to anything at the end, and they even hurl a "To Be Continued" at the end, which apparently rumor is that there will be a XIII-3 (MILKING) or actually there's been talk that they're going to wrap it up with a novella (........WTF?!). I'll just end my XIII experience with Fang and Vanille making a great sacrifice and the others being reunited with their loved ones, thank you very much.]

Anyway, I'm on Disgaea 3 right now, which I admit I'm just kinda zooming through the main game so I can start playing Disgaea 4.
N.R.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Just a small note - Mog, the small creature that accompanies Sara and Noel, is not a moogle. The game describes him as a creature that "resembles the legendary moogles". He does have moogle-like features, but is too deformed to be one.

Just wanted to make this super important fact clear Laughing
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked XIII actually, and am looking forward to its, indeed, "awkwardly named" sequel. Jumping just makes me all the merrier! Hope it's better than X-2 though, that was a "yikes" in my opinion. (hey look I made a "hope" pun! hyuk hyuk!)
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
If you wanna scrap the bottom of the barrel for notable releases, Carpe Fulgar's Fortune Summoners comes out on PC's on Tuesday, Jan. 17. It's priced at $25.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Can we please fire whoever writes this column? I get tired of seeing them blab about rpgs without having a clue.

Of course they constantly bemoan the psp, despite it releasing 2 or 3 rpgs in the past year, with 2 or 3 more on the way.

But cmon, after the second it went down hill. Except for one little thing, Suikdoen III is only the most highly rated game in the series, with the only arguable weak title being IV. Tierkries was a spinoff, so is woven web, so nobody was expecting much with either. With all that being said , Tierkries recieved pretty fair reviews as well.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
XIII-2: I tried it out last night and liked it for what it is. The monster system is pretty smooth and easy to adjust to, and personally I can't wait to start recruiting giants like the behemoth in the party. There are a lot of gameplay elements to take in, like all the fragment collecting, so I imagine the game will give you plenty to do.

Quote:
Not that I spent a good five minutes of the demo just making the characters jump around. Not me. That'd be nerdy even by Final Fantasy standards.

Echoes of Jude saying "Jump!" repeatedly from Wild Arms 4 are returning to me! Argh! <XP

Suikoden Century: I think my interest in Suikoden died off over the years. III was mediocre (despite the Lizard Clan being one of the few hooks that made me get it), IV...yeah, moving on and V being the one that somewhat redeemed the series for me. Tierkreis was a bad decision and left a downer taste in a lot of people's mouths (despite that it shouldn't be considered part of the main numbered line). I haven't played Tactics. I and II were truly the good ones. As for this new entry in the gaiden series, I want to give it a chance and just might if they decide to localize it. I want to keep liking Suikoden.

Hundred Cavalrymen: The premise sounds interesting, so we should wait and see what else is in store. I find it funny, though, that I'm more remotely interested in that golem-esque figure standing next to Metallica in the screenshot though. Anime hyper

Frontier Gate: Wearing McDohl's outfit from Suikoden 1 does sound cool, but that wouldn't be enough to get me to buy it.

Metal Max 2 Reloaded: When in doubt, strap a couple of mini-guns to a dog's back and you have a memorable character. Regarding your statement on this game Todd, are you saying that RPGs should be less about fantasy worlds and more about modern or post-apocalyptic stuff?

Usavich: Is the show anything like the stuff they aired on MTV's Liquid Television program years ago?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

But cmon, after the second it went down hill. Except for one little thing, Suikdoen III is only the most highly rated game in the series, with the only arguable weak title being IV. Tierkries was a spinoff, so is woven web, so nobody was expecting much with either. With all that being said , Tierkries recieved pretty fair reviews as well.

I think Suikoden 2, these days, is considered the high point of the series by most fans. Of course, some of its rep is probably due to the scarcity of the game and its high price. You know how fans are, the "This game is great and rare and I have it and it's the best thing EVEEEER" mentality Laughing

Suikoden 3 and 5 were both well reviewed, though there has been some backlash towards Suikoden 3 I've seen. I personally think it's good, but I have only played a few hours of it. 5 has the worst loading time I've ever seen on the PS2. Even worse than Tales of the Abyss.

Last edited by bravetailor on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Another import friendly title that came out in December is the 2nd Nanoha game for the PSP. I finally got it the other day and they've added so much more to it compared to the first game.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that I'll get XIII-2 at some point, but if they wanted me to get it right away, it needed to be released while I was still on break. At this point, I don't really have time for a game that I'm not completely excited about. I definitely want to play it, but I'm not in any particular rush.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
5 has the worst loading time I've ever seen on the PS2. Even worse than Tales of the Abyss.

If you think SuikoV and TotA have bad loading times, stay far away from Shining Tears. PS1 games known for bad loading times are better than ST.

That being said... most people I've talk to consider V on par or better than II. It's a blend of II's characterization and story-style, with a refined version of the skill system introduced in III (I'd argue that V's skill system is probably closed to Rhapsodia's skill system).

Personally, III is my favorite (with Rhapsodia, followed by a tie between II and V coming closely behind), but where it lost a lot of people was the Trinity Site System, which, yes, had problems.

Also... Mystic Quest was awesome. I enjoy it for a quick, fun, RPG romp. It was my very first RPG I ever beat.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that FFXIII-2 is being "bullied" by everybody even though it wasn't released in English?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
About XIII-2: finished XIII long ago, got all the trophies/achievements, dunno if I wanna play the same-ish game again unless it's significantly deviant, plus Serah was pathetic.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems more DS games are being made. Wow and Usavitch game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1