• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Manga #13 Gets Simultaneous U.S./Japan Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
....oh...sh*t....
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Hopefully this means 13 is the final volume. But we'll just have to wait and see...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I forgot it never ended... Razz
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow!! With the rate of localizing them, I wasn't expecting it for a while! ...but where's the announcement that Viz mentioned at their panel when asked about a reprint? No point in picking it up yet if I still can't get vol 9 and 10 for a reasonable price :/
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
....oh...sh*t....

Exactly my reaction.

That was my exact reaction.

Shocked
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Coolness. I consider myself fortunate for having collected the manga series back when it was in print, and I'm glad that the next volume (be it final or not) is coming out at all. Sadamoto has incorporated some cool elements that weren't in the original story, especially in the last volume, making me just excited enough to read and see what happens next. Definitely be reserving it on pre-order.

edit: And I just noticed that this is my 500th post. That's pretty cool too.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
This is cool news indeed!Now only if they would re-release the series so that I could afford to add everything to the collection!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
See, this is what should be done across the board. You wanna kill the scanlations that is "hurting" the business? Diminish the opportunities to go illegal and enhance ways to go legit. I'm chuffed that there is both a digital and dead tree version at the same time.

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
See, this is what should be done across the board. You wanna kill the scanlations that is "hurting" the business? Diminish the opportunities to go illegal and enhance ways to go legit. I'm chuffed that there is both a digital and dead tree version at the same time.

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!!

Simultaneous releases will only work for certain products, there's just no way to do it for everything in print.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!!

Simultaneous releases will only work for certain products, there's just no way to do it for everything in print.

Never said for everything. But it does torpedo many arguments over why such an idea is impossible, like yours.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Cool! Hopefully this means 13 is the final volume. But we'll just have to wait and see...

If Volume 13 is the final volume, it'll have to be a pretty thick one. Stage (chapter) 91 was released in April 2012 Young Ace. So far (assuming Stage 91 is included in Vol.13), Volume 13 would be 8 Stages with Stages 84 through 91. Most of the manga volumes have had 8 or 7 Stages, I think a few have had 6 Stages.

Oh yeah, for those interested: the Japanese premium limited edition can be pre-ordered from CD Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-1246158
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
See, this is what should be done across the board. You wanna kill the scanlations that is "hurting" the business? Diminish the opportunities to go illegal and enhance ways to go legit.

A lot of times, this simply isn't an option. At Sakura-Con, I asked a question regarding Uraboku (Yen's omnibus vol. 4 in August will take the US release to Jpn vol. 8, and at the current time, Japan only had through volume 9), and they said they couldn't even speculate on if they'd go to individual volumes when they caught up with the Japanese release (as opposed to twice-yearly omnibus editions), because they can't even license the volumes until they're published. If Japanese publishers are making the US publishers wait for the tankoubon release to even license a title, there's no way that they can make this a standard.

I'm assuming that since the digital weekly/monthly magazines don't allow you to keep what you read, there's less of a problem with digital simultaneous releases.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Lets say I only want to buy the volumes that deviate away from the original series, which volumes would you recommend?

I know there has been minor differences since the start, but I hear things have really changed recently which has now got me interested.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
DRWii wrote:

If Volume 13 is the final volume, it'll have to be a pretty thick one. Stage (chapter) 91 was released in April 2012 Young Ace. So far (assuming Stage 91 is included in Vol.13), Volume 13 would be 8 Stages with Stages 84 through 91. Most of the manga volumes have had 8 or 7 Stages, I think a few have had 6 Stages.

Oh yeah, for those interested: the Japanese premium limited edition can be pre-ordered from CD Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-1246158

But Stage (Chapter) 91 didn't really feel like a final chapter at all. While there's the possibility that they might make a giant-sized final volume, I thought we were looking at a 14th volume.

Volume 13 ends with the Third Impact sequence from The End of Evangelion beginning.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
See, this is what should be done across the board. You wanna kill the scanlations that is "hurting" the business? Diminish the opportunities to go illegal and enhance ways to go legit.

A lot of times, this simply isn't an option. At Sakura-Con, I asked a question regarding Uraboku (Yen's omnibus vol. 4 in August will take the US release to Jpn vol. 8, and at the current time, Japan only had through volume 9), and they said they couldn't even speculate on if they'd go to individual volumes when they caught up with the Japanese release (as opposed to twice-yearly omnibus editions), because they can't even license the volumes until they're published. If Japanese publishers are making the US publishers wait for the tankoubon release to even license a title, there's no way that they can make this a standard.

I'm assuming that since the digital weekly/monthly magazines don't allow you to keep what you read, there's less of a problem with digital simultaneous releases.

And scanlations will continue to go on unabated, short of a total lockdown of the internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2