• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Xillia Producer: Int'l Version Will Be Same as Japanese

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
So that means the original Japanese voices will not be removed, right?
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:

let's dream <3
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:

I for one would be cool with that...provided that there were still an option for an English dub. Much like most modern-ish fighting games have (eg:BlazBlue).

I'd rather have my cheesy, always-subpar "Tales of..." dub be in English than in Japanese as I find it to be funnier in my native English as opposed to grating in Japanese. Just thought I'd throw that out there as I got the feeling that y'all wanted to forgo the English dub, which would lead to a muted playing experience on my console. Not that such would be bad, it's not like "Tales of..." has ever been much about anything besides the combat. The plots are nonsensical, the writing abysmal, the characters mostly the same...but yet I find 'em fun. Namco is just good like that. Wink
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed to hear the news. Tales of Abyss had extra stuff for the NA version when it came on PS2, like extra Mystic Artes and I think arena battles. There's more, but I can't think of it at the moment. Was hoping for more content. Which I'm surprised they wouldn't do since Japanese fans like to double dip for extra stuff like Director's Cut and how Square Enix does their Final Fantasy Internationals and Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes. Guess companies these days don't see the value or it takes too many resources from other games.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:

No, it would be a mistake to read this as having anything to do with that. Xillia is regularly criticized by people who have played it as feeling blatantly incomplete for various reasons. This seems like a reassurance to Japanese fans that they aren't going to give us a better, "complete" version leaving the Japanese fans feeling ripped off at having to buy an "International Edition" at some point while we got the full version the first time, which has happened before.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
With Xillia 2 around the corner, it makes sense to not to put any dev time into the first one so late into the game.

It'd be nice if video games could be as progressive as anime and include the Japanese track without question. Xillia especially has some nice talent in it.
Veroniku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It'd be nice if video games could be as progressive as anime and include the Japanese track without question. Xillia especially has some nice talent in it.

I fully agree. Sawashiro and Yonaga are exceptional. Alvin's seiyuu is awesome as well.

If it's only English dub, it'd be a "muted playing experience" for me, to steal Echo_City's words.

I was fine with Vesperia's dub 'cause it was quite good (Troy Baker's great) and I played it in English first. But I can't quite stand the dubs of other Tales of...

Also I played Xillia in Japanese first so I would cry if I heard any other voice-overs. But I have to play in English in order to understand every detail I missed with my limited Japanese.

As for improvements to the game, I wasn't expecting any. Hell, I'm not even expecting the Japanese track I just spoke of...
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:

I'm sure they won't do that. If they do, they can at least put up the Japanese dub as a free DLC like Tecmo-Koei did for Dynasty Warrriors 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
If they did I would totally buy that DLC. I really wish they would do that for all their games. For the same reason I'm a dub fan I really would like that. It would totally give me a reason to play new game +, which is a feature I don't use at all now.

They could even do the same in Japan in reverse, if some people there admire the same kind of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1