• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girl Friends GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this series get a favorable review. I haven't picked up a copy yet myself, but I'm looking forward to getting both omnibus volumes together so that I can do a marathon read.

I also can't wait to read Morinaga's Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Pink.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
If you're not too attached to paper, the whole series is on JManga.

I picked up the first omnibus, but after the ending, I couldn't wait, so I got the rest on JManga. :X

Edit: This isn't really on-topic, but I didn't know Hanjuku Joshi is "somewhat infamous". I guess I'm glad people have heard of it.

Edit: typo
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, it's really a great series. I've read the series online and will definitely be picking up the paperback release.

Hanjuku Joshi is infamous? Looking around, the three reviews I found (including Erica Friedman) really liked it, Hell, I even ventured into TV Tropes, a wretched hive of stupid opinions and listings of negative ones.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I really feel the transfer of viewpoint character from Mari to Akko at the end of volume 2/beginning of volume 3 is one of the best aspects of the manga.

Though the first omnibus then proceeds to end at a hell of a cliffhanger, for those who haven' read the story before.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I read it under the original volume breaks, since I got each volume at JManga as it came out ...

... and as far as the review, yeah, that's pretty much nailed it.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Hanjuku Joshi is infamous? Looking around, the three reviews I found (including Erica Friedman) really liked it, Hell, I even ventured into TV Tropes, a wretched hive of stupid opinions and listings of negative ones.

I liked it, too. If it's infamous, I assume it's for the sexual content, not any lack of quality.
agila61 wrote:
I read it under the original volume breaks, since I got each volume at JManga as it came out ...

The omnibus ends with chapter 18 -- and spoiler[Mari saying that she's just lost her virginity]. Shocked
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

Yeah, that mention was strange. I only recently read Hanjuku Joshi, but I quite liked it. Very sweet, but also very sensual.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yeah, that mention was strange. I only recently read Hanjuku Joshi, but I quite liked it. Very sweet, but also very sensual.

Yeah, it was pretty excellent. My favourite yuri manga's still Octave, though.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the few Yuri manga I could possibly imagine reading.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is one of the few Yuri manga I could possibly imagine reading.

It's actually pretty well done.

It actually hooked me on the genre, despite my initial views on it. (I was never really fond of romance stories in general until fairly recently, let alone yuri stuff.)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't read much yuri but this one was already on my radar and now is definitely on my buy list. It's great to see some of these titles coming over here finally.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting on the next Seven Seas sale from TRSI to pick this one up. I have all of their previous yuri titles and I'm pleased to see that they're giving the genre another chance. Hope it pays off for them.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I'm just waiting on the next Seven Seas sale from TRSI to pick this one up. I have all of their previous yuri titles and I'm pleased to see that they're giving the genre another chance. Hope it pays off for them.

Seven Seas sales are so rare, you're probably better off just ordering from Amazon.com. It's currently 46% off, better than you'd get from Seven Seas sale at TRSI anyway.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Eh, I don't like Amazon very much, and I'd rather give my business to TRSI. Plus, I buy more from TRSI so I'm more likely to get the free shipping from them, and as a GotAnime member, it all works out in the end.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this to be licensed and now just have to decide between JManga and the physical volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2