• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Soubi Yamamoto's This Boy Caught a Merman Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Also from Sentai's session at Anime Central: David Williams just said the audio problem on episode 11 of Kids on the Slope was a result of the materials they received from Japan. Hmm.

Edit: Checked out his quote on the animecon-industry stream of this panel and it's not clear at all that the problem was with the Japanese masters. Details later in this thread. Sorry for the bogus info.

Last edited by invalidname on Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Read the title thought it might be this.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/16910/Namiuchigiwa_no_Muromi-san

My excitement quickly faded. Crying or Very sad
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Sentai continues to support independent animators, so I'll be springing for the blueray.

Not really buying the excuse for the episode 11 thing though. Wink
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I liked This Boy Can Fight Aliens. It was short and sweet and I loved the visual style it had.

Also I'm assuming Nyan Koi is getting a dub now. It says it will be coming out on Blu-ray so does that mean it did well enough to get a blu-ray and dub?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Not really buying the excuse for the episode 11 thing though. Wink

You think it's improbable that Japan would provide inferior materials? Really?
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Also I'm assuming Nyan Koi is getting a dub now. It says it will be coming out on Blu-ray so does that mean it did well enough to get a blu-ray and dub?

I just confirmed the Nyan Koi blu ray release with Sentai on their Facebook page, so yes, we will be getting an english dub. Remember, if it's being released on Blu ray, it's guaranteed a dub.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
While I have reservation about watching anime featuring mermen I enjoyed This Boy can Fight Aliens so much that I'll get this. I hope Sentai will continue supporting shorts like this as I've also like Five Numbers.

And am I understanding this correctly that Golgo 13 will also be on blu-ray.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
And am I understanding this correctly that Golgo 13 will also be on blu-ray.

Yes, you are correct.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
If I'm reading this right it means Golgo 13 will also be on Blu-Ray now. Figures they would do that after I bought the DVD sets during the Xmas sale.

EDIT: Oops, someone beat me to it.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Also from Sentai's session at Anime Central: David Williams just said the audio problem on episode 11 of Kids on the Slope was a result of the materials they received from Japan. Hmm.

Either you were there at the convention and asked more indepth on the question than I did, or your ears are bad because he did not say anything that KOTS audio was Japan's fault. But that may make sense, they had the broadcast audio for streaming then used the BD/DVD release footage with majority of work on the english dub but just put the subs on the japanese audio...........but would they not even play the japanese just a little bit to notice the problem?

And your welcome of me asking that question Smile

People need to to stand up (or type up Anime hyper) and ask these kind of questions.

Lets hope this makes a good step for sentai since I'm a fan of there work and was depressed of this news so I sent out disc 2 to recall "right away" Anime hyper.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting art style, and I'm always in favor of supporting indie animators and companies, so I'll abso check this out.

Still hoping Sentai, NIS, or another publisher known for hidden-gem acquisitions announces Chihayafuru. Very Happy
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Either you were there at the convention and asked more indepth on the question than I did, or your ears are bad because he did not say anything that KOTS audio was Japan's fault.

I did, in fact, enter that comment while seated in the Sentai session in the Con C room around 5PM CT today. It's a paraphrase, but it's what he said when asked about the KOTS audio problem.

That guy who livestreams a bunch of sessions from his iPad was there again, at the front of the room, so maybe if we can find his UStream channel, we can get an exact quote.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
YES, GOOD, I will definitely be picking this up. It is too cute.

My only quibble with this is that I would have preferred the title to be "This Boy Picked Up a Merman" since that's definitely more appropriate to the story as opposed to either of them being "caught."
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
rahzel.rose wrote:
YES, GOOD, I will definitely be picking this up. It is too cute.

My only quibble with this is that I would have preferred the title to be "This Boy Picked Up a Merman" since that's definitely more appropriate to the story as opposed to either of them being "caught."

That's how I translated it for the Japanese release (which also has subtitles). I'm not sure why they changed it.

It refers to him taking the Merman into his house... If anything the main character was caught by the Merman, not the other way around!
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It refers to him taking the Merman into his house... If anything the main character was caught by the Merman, not the other way around!

That was pretty much my thought! I'm actually tempted to contact Sentai and ask about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2