• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Claiming Ad Revenue for YouTube Game Videos

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ha, as its something new the uncontrollable and insatiable greed and control wet dreams of companies.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So in essence they are punishing the die hard fans that buy their games and share their enthusiasm on youtube. I mean, yeah its their intellectual property and all but seeing as they're struggling so much at the moment with the WiiU they'd take any postive fan videos they can muster.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I love the spin they put on the news release to basically make them seem like the good and benevolent company whose doing this for the good of us all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ha, as its something new the uncontrollable and insatiable greed and control wet dreams of companies.

BUT, agree that blocking content is stupid and retarded, like indeed so many other companies do, they are doing the right thing by trying to use it to their advantage YET all the promotion and exposure is already paying by itself tenfold, again, GREED.

Keonyn wrote:
I love the spin they put on the news release to basically make them seem like the good and benevolent company whose doing this for the good of us all.

Spot on.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
This one came off as strange to me when I came across it at Game Front a little while ago. Sure, Nintendo is in a pretty strong position here, but most game companies don't seem to really care if gameplay videos are posted, and many seem to treat it as free advertising for their product. While there is copyright protection for this sort of thing as a "derivative work," I don't think it is enough of a substitute for the real thing that Nintendo needs to get worked up over it. This is a fair distance from sharing pirated copies of the games. If I were a game maker, I'd probably want people to see how to play the game since it is a whole lot easier to sell sequels to people that actually finished the first game.

But, I suppose if Nintendo is just looking to get a cut of the action rather than block the videos entirely, it isn't necessarily a huge problem, even if it isn't going to win them any points with the general public.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The issue is people profiting from YouTube revenue on let's play videos.

Just because you like Super Mario and posted a video of yourself talking over an extended playthrough that shows the entire content of the game doesn't mean you're entitled to profit from Nintendo's IP or products.

S long as they're not blocking the videos or preventing people from posting them, I don't see anything wrong with the company exercising their basic rights.
csmediausa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this but I actually agree with Nintendo. There are some lets players that make a living off of doing lets plays with their content. There aren't many but there are some. It's not like they're blocking the videos. It is their content and they should be able to make money off of the ad revenue if they choose to do so. There is nothing wrong with that.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
csmediausa wrote:
I hate to say this but I actually agree with Nintendo. There are some lets players that make a living off of doing lets plays with their content. There aren't many but there are some. It's not like they're blocking the videos. It is their content and they should be able to make money off of the ad revenue if they choose to do so. There is nothing wrong with that.

Two good examples are Egoraptor and Jontron with their Game Grumps channel. Whether you agree or disagree with their choice, they more or less abandoned their original channels once they formed Game Grumps because they make more money casually playing video games for 3 hours a week and making jokes than either of them did spending hours upon weeks editing and making their original content. It's not a matter of if companies will start cracking down, it's a matter of when, so I advise against people trying to make a living playing video games from home. A bit too unstable of a career choice for my tastes. Laughing Besides, can you imagine these people at age 50 still doing this?
csmediausa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
csmediausa wrote:

Two good examples are Egoraptor and Jontron with their Game Grumps channel. They both use to make animations and 'review videos' before they started Game Grumps. Whether you agree or disagree with their choice, they kind of abandoned their original channels once they formed Game Grumps because they make more money casually playing video games for 3 hours a week and making jokes than either of them did spending hours and hours upon weeks editing and making their original content. It's not a matter of if companies will start cracking down, it's a matter of when, so I advise against people trying to make a living playing video games from home Laughing

I think the biggest LPers I watch are ones like TetraNinja, ChuggaaConroy, NintendoCapriSun, and such and that is pretty much all they do I honestly hope it doesnt affect them to much because they are good at what they do. But like I said Im on Nintendos side on this.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
All things considered this is probably the best possible solution. Since the other solution is blocking all content. People might be up in arms about it (since some Youtubers do make a living, or at least finance better video making, based on ad revenue) but there is a reason trademark and copyright law exist. And its totally in Nintendo's right to remove all playthrough videos from Youtube. Since in some ways it might cut into sales, giving people the option to watch someone play through for free, rather then buy the game.

Really this isn't going to affect the real game enthusiasts who post videos and commentary for fun. Its really only going to impact the large Youtube groups like Machinama, that do rely on ad revenue to pay for content. You'll probably see less Nintendo based content from them.

I'm curious if this only pertains to content owned by Nintendo themselves. And not all games that ever appeared on Nintendo Hardware. I assume the former, because Nintendo has an ownership claim there. So even if you can't get paid for Mario game playthrough, Mega Man should be fine (for example).
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I had read off Destructoid that they had only filed these claims on videos for 4 games - Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and Super Mario 3D Land. All fairly recent releases.

If this is true, are they just doing this to try and keep sales for new titles alive? Would this mean after a certain while they drop it, and not even bother with older games? It makes a bit more sense from that angle, in my point of view. They want to encourage people to buy the newer games, rather than just youtube the whole thing away.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-is-claiming-ownership-of-let-s-play-videos-253793.phtml Said article.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Least they're not stomping. There's merit in some restraint and reasonable IPs. Probably could've been better PR if they just shared the ad revenues, but it's preferable than using the heavy hand of authority.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The issue is people profiting from YouTube revenue on let's play videos.

Just because you like Super Mario and posted a video of yourself talking over an extended playthrough that shows the entire content of the game doesn't mean you're entitled to profit from Nintendo's IP or products.

Obviously not. That profit is earned by gradually building up a fanbase through personality, skill, and/or interacting with the audience. I'm not sure if you're aware Zac, but we are at an age where a video game streaming website Twitch(.TV) is generating millions of unique viewers every month. People like to watch other people play video games. Be it gaming competitively or casually, there is something that a lot of people nowadays have been allured to. In terms of numbers, it has completely dwarfed the anime-watching audience and continues to rapidly grow. Those who profit from this have put in a ton of effort to do so.

Do you think that a Super Mario Brothers speedrunner who practiced for thousands of hours to surpass the world record does not deserve a profit off of that? People aren't watching the video because of the game. They're watching it because of the actions of the player, and how they can play the game beyond the level of anyone else in the world.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Obviously not. That profit is earned by gradually building up a fanbase through personality, skill, and/or interacting with the audience. I'm not sure if you're aware Zac, but we are at an age where a video game streaming website Twitch(.TV) is generating millions of unique viewers every month. People like to watch other people play video games. Be it gaming competitively or casually, there is something that a lot of people nowadays have been allured to. In terms of numbers, it has completely dwarfed the anime-watching audience and continues to rapidly grow. Those who profit from this have put in a ton of effort to do so.

Yeah, I'm aware how popular game streaming is, I do it all the time myself.

Quote:

Do you think that a Super Mario Brothers speedrunner who practiced for thousands of hours to surpass the world record does not deserve a profit off of that? People aren't watching the video because of the game. They're watching it because of the actions of the player, and how they can play the game beyond the level of anyone else in the world.

No, I don't. It's Nintendo's IP. If they want to pay that guy to show up to events and show off his skill or host a speedrun tournament with a cash prize, fine, but the product belongs to Nintendo and fair use laws are pretty straightforward.

The thing is, right now game streaming is really open and game publishers are cool with people having all the fun they want. The minute you start saying "Hey man I put like 60 hours into this really popular playthrough of Far Cry 3, why can't I get a paycheck for that without Ubisoft's consent" is when all this fun stuff stops. Trying to monetize this for people who have no legal leg to stand on is going to wreck it for everyone.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Trying to monetize this for people who have no legal leg to stand on is going to wreck it for everyone.

Very well, I tried in the previous thread and got no answer, so I'll try again here. How do you view that video game lets plays, speedruns, etc. are not transformative works when it comes to Fair Use? Can you explain your rationale?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7