• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - College of Rock

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Great timing on the K-on! manga review, I'm reading through it right now. I agree that the twist with having the girls in college and having new friends to hang out with make the book refreshingly fun. It'll be something to re-read to get a smile out of me when I feel like I'm in sore need of one.

And CMX. When I saw they were reposting a review of one of their books a sigh seeped out of me. Why is it only after a publisher is gone do we appreciate their offerings more than before? This Name of the Flowers book sounds interesting, might have to see what the Amazon used market is charging for them.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I keep meaning to pick up the K-ON! manga. I've only read one volume of it, for a review of my own, but was surprised to find that it actually had a bit of depth hidden among the fluff. Also, I think it would be interesting to read a cutesy comedy set in college, since usually most of them don't get that far.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Great timing on the K-on! manga review, I'm reading through it right now.

TRSI just shipped my copy yesterday. I'll probably have it by Saturday...

Quote:
And CMX. When I saw they were reposting a review of one of their books a sigh seeped out of me. Why is it only after a publisher is gone do we appreciate their offerings more than before?

Only appreciating it now? I loved a lot of their lesser-known titles. Their Kusakawa Nari titles (one incomplete, sadly), Tsukuba Sakura titles, GALS!, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, and Name of the Flower have all been read several times since I purchased them. I miss CMX quite a bit.

Quote:
This Name of the Flowers book sounds interesting, might have to see what the Amazon used market is charging for them.

Good luck tracking down the four-volume series. ^_^
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
And CMX. When I saw they were reposting a review of one of their books a sigh seeped out of me. Why is it only after a publisher is gone do we appreciate their offerings more than before? This Name of the Flowers book sounds interesting, might have to see what the Amazon used market is charging for them.

That seems like the only way some people appreciate things more. That old saying "One never really truly appreciates something until it's gone" basically.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Seeing yaoi fingers skeleton hand is weird and creepy.

I still need to read Princess Knight but I'll probably pick up The Twin Knights at the Vertical booth at Otakon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I keep meaning to pick up the K-ON! manga. I've only read one volume of it, for a review of my own, but was surprised to find that it actually had a bit of depth hidden among the fluff. Also, I think it would be interesting to read a cutesy comedy set in college, since usually most of them don't get that far.
For what it's worth, here's Erica Friedman's review[1](TLDR: poor Mugi). As for cutesy comedies with older characters, the only other one that comes to mind is Wife & Wife, which skips straight past college directly into them being out in the world.

[1]http://okazu.yuricon.com/2012/12/21/k-on-college-manga-けいおん!college/
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I felt the placement of the K-On! characters in a college setting produced nothing worthwhile or even different. It was the same old stuff, but even less funny. Akira was alright, but her backstory was kind of lame and the other new characters were barely there. The old keions were basically the same, too. I thought it was a fair bit worse than the original manga.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I felt the placement of the K-On! characters in a college setting produced nothing worthwhile or even different. It was the same old stuff, but even less funny. Akira was alright, but her backstory was kind of lame and the other new characters were barely there. The old keions were basically the same, too. I thought it was a fair bit worse than the original manga.
I'm a huge fan of K-On, but I can't help but agree with you.
Msag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Loved the review for The Name of the Flower, sounds like my cup of tea. I'll definitely be checking this one out! Wink
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist became a joke this year. The author spent 4 chapters focused on a prom or something like that. I really hope the actual plot returns.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

The author spent 4 chapters focused on a prom or something like that.

Prom is big deal! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1